Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Noe
  • 1 Post By Noe
  • 1 Post By Cat

Thread: How to fit a 510 Drip Tip into the Alpine (mini tutorial)

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Cool How to fit a 510 Drip Tip into the Alpine (mini tutorial)

The original SyntheticCloud Alpine RDTA is fairly expensive to do this to, at least for the first time, especially if you mess it up, so for this I used a clone Alpine, which FT sells for about $14Au https://www.fasttech.com/products/7123302

The Alpine is a well designed RDTA, which has both bottom & top airflow, with adjustments for both & has between the posts filling, which is sealed by the top cap, I haven't tested it yet but this should make it "leakproof" or at least highly leak resistant.
    I really just purchased the clone on a whim because it was so cheap, when I ordered my Gold OBS Engine RTA, because the design was intriguing. I already own the AEOLUS RDA & it has the same type of top airflow control, without the bottom airflow, however it uses a 510 DT & the Alpine (unmodified) uses a proprietary "chuff" cap which is also the AFC ring. I dislike chuff caps, so I thought about it & tested a few various 510DTs to see if I could get one to fit & make the Alpine work the way it should have from the factory.
    Another feature of the Alpine is that it can be used with a squonk pin, none came with the clone & I have not tried to fit one but the Original has a squonk pin available & the design of the clone is 1:1, except for having slots for the top airflow instead of 6 holes, which means the clone has more available airflow than the original (not that I'll make use of more than what the original provided).

For anyone that may want a 510 DT to fit in this, I got one to fit after a bit of modification

The way I did it was by using this Drip Tip https://www.fasttech.com/p/3551401

The orings on that DT are too skinny, so I stole the orings off of the DT(which I don't use anyway) that comes with the OBS Engine https://www.fasttech.com/p/6666400 and fitted those, if you don't have the Engine then orings that are about double the thickness of the orings on the new DT are what's needed.

Remove the AFC ring for the top airflow & run a drop of juice around the orings as they are a very tight fit initially, then carefully slide the DT in or you could damage the orings. Leave this sitting in place for a while while you complete the next step.
    Next the originial DT/AFC is not going to fit in with the new 510 DT installed, so I drilled it out using a 9mm bit first then a 10mm bit.

The DT is approx 11mm wide so even after the 10mm bit went through it needed more taken out but because the 9mm & 10mm both bit & grabbed when drilling, I decided to just use the 10mm to widen the hole. It was a slower process than using an 11mm bit but it was also more precise & probably a better idea because if the 11mm grabbed it could have ruined the AFC/DT.
    If you're confident then use an 11mm bit, if not then carefully widen the hole with the 10mm bit & check for size with the DT, this way you can get a tight fit of the AFC on the new DT.

So now the AFC/DT is simply an AFC ring & the new 510 DT has a permanent home in the top cap on the Alpine's peak

Cat likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Thank you for this Noe. I bought an Alpine when I was manic, haven't opened it because I thought I would just sell it, but didn't realise it has the squonk pin option. It's not really a MTL tank though...it's so painful discovering I have become more MTL after buying so much gear! This looks very useful anyway, so thanks!
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Cat, the AEOLUS RDAs have the same top down AFC as this ( one of the main reasons I got it) & those can be used as MTL or DL atties, what the Alpine adds is a tank & bottom airflow.
    From what I have read, with hte bottom airflow fully open & the top airflow full closed, the Alpine is a restricted DL type vape, since the AFC can be closed down further, turing this into a MTL RDTA shouldn't be a problem.

Using some thin wire like 28G Kanthal perhaps, you could make a dual coil build of around 1 ohm for a MTL vape or even 1.2 ohm. The deck is wide enough that you could easily use a 3mm inner dia 9 wrap coil using 28G Kanthal to get you that dual coil 1 ohm build in it.
    Then you could choose to use either the top or bottom AFC & restrict the draw enough for MTL vaping
    Cat likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Cat, the AEOLUS RDAs have the same top down AFC as this ( one of the main reasons I got it) & those can be used as MTL or DL atties, what the Alpine adds is a tank & bottom airflow.
    From what I have read, with hte bottom airflow fully open & the top airflow full closed, the Alpine is a restricted DL type vape, since the AFC can be closed down further, turing this into a MTL RDTA shouldn't be a problem.

Using some thin wire like 28G Kanthal perhaps, you could make a dual coil build of around 1 ohm for a MTL vape or even 1.2 ohm. The deck is wide enough that you could easily use a 3mm inner dia 9 wrap coil using 28G Kanthal to get you that dual coil 1 ohm build in it.
    Then you could choose to use either the top or bottom AFC & restrict the draw enough for MTL vaping
    Thanks Noe! Sounds really tempting...It's in my think about it pile :P I have been using mainly SS... Still a baby when it comes to builds and finding exactly what I like... haha burning throat tonight from learning about temp control on my Epetite...but I won the fight, battle damaged as I may be!!!
    Noe likes this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16