Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Soldering issue

AVF Regular

Soldering issue

So i decided to try and fix a mod that is new but stopped working. When the batteries are inside, just a slight humming noise can be heard. Nothing else powers up.
    I took it apart and saw that one of the wires was damaged. I bought a 40w soldering iron today to try and take the wires from the chip and replace them.

The problem is that the solder is not melting and I can't take anything off the chip??
    So whats the deal? What wattage Soldering iron should I have bought??

AVF Regular
    40W should do it, it's all about the heat bridge and angle, noting conductivity
    I'll come back and post a link.
    look at this Hand-soldering Teeny Tiny Chips!: 6 Steps (with Pictures)
    not exactly the thing but it has some good points. clean everything, repeat or send it to me and I'll do it.
    Last edited by MrGruffy; 18-06-17 at 07:25 PM.
    Fatman, steve.c, jobics and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Got any photos of it mate? I tend to use 60-80w a temperature controlled iron with a fine tip. The issue with 40w is the iron may have to sit longer on a sensitive part and with thermal transfer it can kill it.

As a starter suggestion, pre-tin the tip (get the iron tip hot and then add solder to it and coat the tip, wipe away the excess and it should be shiny). Pre tin the new wire by stripping it and heating it up with the side of the tip of the iron and feeding solder in (like tig welding haha). Get some practise at that and make sure the insulation does melt off.

Buy some desoldering braid and use that to extract and remove the dead wire from the board etc. Again be careful; heat transfer is your enemy.

AVF Regular
    It's important to "tin" the tip of the soldering iron (melt some solder onto it) to help conduct the heat from the tip to the contact.

AVF Regular
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
    This This This

Also using some flux on the joint can help the solder to start flowing.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    I did try to join two wires together. I saw on youtube to heat the wire then put the solder on top so it flows into the wires.
    However no matter how long i heated the wire, solder would not melt on top of the wires.., LOL

Like this. But solder would not melt. So I'm thinking the 40w iron is not enough.
    Last edited by Hyper; 18-06-17 at 08:31 PM.

Doc
    AVF Regular
    delete 10 chars
    Last edited by Doc; 18-06-17 at 08:30 PM.
    If its got tits or tyres, you got problems.

Doc
    AVF Regular
    You need to tin the tip as said above. Buy a bottle of flux and pour a bit in a beer cap or something. Sand any crap off the end of the tip. Heat & dip the tip in flux and immediately apply solder to the tip. Repeat a couple of times. Shake the excess solder off and go for it.
    If its got tits or tyres, you got problems.

AVF Regular
    You need to tin the wires first. To do this you need to put the bare wire on the soldering iron and wait until the wire is hot enough to melt the solder. When the solder melts it will run through the wire if its multi strand or over a single strand. Do the same to the other wire then place the two together and heat them until the solder melts and runs between the two to make the joint.

AVF Regular
    I first opened the mod and saw this wire was sandwiched and damaged. I wrapped it up with tape to see if the short is fixed.
    Nothing still doesn't turn on.

Then I had a another look and the only other wire which looks sus is the 510 wire. It seems to be partially cut just under the 510.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast