Like Tree21Likes
  • 16 Post By studiovape
  • 1 Post By Dhufish
  • 2 Post By Midlife
  • 2 Post By studiovape

Thread: Breathing new life into a dead Tesla stealth mini for a Spheroid

AVF Regular

Breathing new life into a dead Tesla stealth mini for a Spheroid

Hi folks, as some of you might know I recently bought a spheroid in the classies form lmb.
    it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction as I had been enjoying my phoenix spheroid clone on the Tesla stealth 40W, not a fan of anything non squonk really but something about the totally leak free mininess of the combo that occasionally appealed when expecting to be in a non vape friendly environment. The Tesla wasn't great, it had this quirk where if you take one puff and then try to follow it immediately with another, it would refuse to fire, requiring a second or so to recover between each puff however short that puff had been.
    on a spheroid/pheonix this is how I wanted to vape , two puffs in short succession, so the Tesla although attractive beacuse of it's size and VW abilities began to irritate me, and I do feel it was somewhat less than smooth vs claims of the newer DNA and Dicodes boards. So it kinda sat on the shelf as so many other "good idea at the time" devices do.
    SO back to the GP spheroid from the classies: I say knee jerk because I had a few regrets after putting my hand up for it, especially when I went to get the Tesla and found it was...... wait for it.... dead,dead dead.
    I followed through with the sale anyway and spent a few days after it arrived trying to get back into "old shool" tube mods, of which I have a "few" :0)
    the size and weight and irregular hits did not bring back great memories, and I started to put my mind to a more compact solution. I am laying ground work for the SV mini builds and after a few evenings though decided it would be too much of a distraction to get caught up in a new build so I started to dismantle the Tesla to see if it was a simple fix.
    Long story short it was not, the battery was good but the board was dead.
    In the meantime I had been using one of the Ego One batteries that Floorzone gave me to experiment with a while back and found that with a 0.95Ohm build in the spheroid the Ego One little battery was a surprisingly stonking vape, yes SURPRISED is the word, not only a great vape but also very consistent power throughout the battery life, another SURPRISE! I remember trying to work out a while back if the Ego one is regulated in any way, and although it is a grey area from all accounts it seems that it may well be constant 3.6V at least until the battery charge drops below that voltage.
    So I set about dismantling one of the ego tubes that had a faulty button and below is the result. There would have been no point doing the transplant if I could not get USB charging so I need to work out all the wiring and placement , wire lengths and soldering.
    I set up the hot air station and reveling in the ease of stripping the Tesla board as the jet of hot air directed at the (now useless components) saw them slide down and drop onto the desk in a flurry.
    So the board was used to support the USB charging board from the Ego and the firing board was fitted behind the original board section.
    A stealth vape is nor much use if bright flashing lights of an EGo One module announce your actions and as a result of the placement the leds are only very very faintly visible in the dark if you look carefully in the button vent holes.
    I had one small disaster when breaking the ego board free from it's bondage in the ego tube as I inadvertently scrapes of the tiniest resister I have ever seen, literally the size of a grain of sand, some how I manages to remove one from another ego board and resolder it with the hot air station, I really was surprised that bit all worked out.
    SO it lives, it vapes and it charges. the Ego boards are very reliable as far as I know, it's mainly the switch that fails, the fire button on the Tesla is now taking care of that job, so hopefully the new mini rig will give long and reliably stealthy service.
    Some pics below, sorry about the quality, it was a Sunday project and I wasn't sure it would work or be worth posting so I didn't try too hard hahah
    if your wondering the purple frosted plastic from an air-freshener lid was used to go where the screen had and conceal it's new innards.

[IMG]testla Ego stealth by Thomas Studios, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by studiovape; 09-07-17 at 07:49 PM.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Nice one,

Question about the Ego battery I see in the 2nd last pic, Is that the same diameter as the Spheroid ? Give or take a millimetre ?

I have a Spheroid with a Ego battery of the same size but struggled with the right ohms and wicking. Any tips.
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    I build my spheroid at 1.2 to 1.4 ohm and wick with cotton pulled through in a loop as they show in the demo's. I twist the ends to get it to stiffen up a bit. Coil is a 2mm ish micro contact built whith i think 30 gauge kanthal around 5 wraps. The fluff needs to fill the tank but not be wound to tight or it wont hold much juice.
    Once you get it right it is a great vape.
    Crisscross and studiovape like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhufish View Post
    Nice one,

Question about the Ego battery I see in the 2nd last pic, Is that the same diameter as the Spheroid ? Give or take a millimetre ?

I have a Spheroid with a Ego battery of the same size but struggled with the right ohms and wicking. Any tips.
    I used 28g Nichrome about 5wraps 2.5mm ID 0.93Ohms, Kendo Cotton sheets/pads , no loop for me just cut the wick a mm or so past the edge of the atty and bend up tails.
    Like Midlife says the filler needs to be not to much not too little, I used about 50mm length and width of tube in spheroid.
    Lots of info on the net, do a search for "GP spheroid build" https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%...w=1470&bih=786 and follow links in the pictures.
    Crisscross and Fatman like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.