Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: A wiring question

Super Moderator

A wiring question

This is for those with an electrical bent ... does it make any difference whether the fuses are in the positive side of the battery (as per the enclosed diagram), or in the negative side (between the mosfet's source {S} and negative terminal of the battery/s)?

Or even between the atomiser negative and the drain {D} of the mosfet?

iamtezr likes this.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

There isn't enough room to list my gear

AVF Regular
    I would presume from my limited experiance that they shoulld be on the positive side as is the norm with most electical circuits.

Super Moderator
    But is that just a convention, or is there an electrical reason for it? If it makes a difference, the enclosure is non-conductive.
    DogMan likes this.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

Please read these rules

AVF Regular
    I am sure there is probibly a good reason but without doing a heap of reading of boring electical books i cant give you a positive answer. That said i would think the positve is the hotter side ie a welder burns the electrode hotter on the positive and colder on the negative.
    gtadmin likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlife View Post
    ... i cant give you a positive answer.
    On a roll
    Midlife and rockmoose like this.

Please read these rules

AVF Regular
    Fuses tend to be on the positive side as the negative generally goes to ground(earth), if you whack fuses on the negative then the whole circuit sits at high potential and if you were to ground yourself from the positive side with the circuit live you might be in for some fun. Not really an issue at low DC voltages, but i wouldnt do it on AC Also it removes protection on all the components in the circuit after the fuses, so...
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 31-07-17 at 09:27 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

Super Moderator
    Okay, assume the enclosure is conductive and is connected to the positive of the battery, with the negative side insulated from the enclosure. Does ^^ still hold true? Also remember, electrons flow from the negative to the positive of the battery through the wiring and components.

Thanks for the input guys

Please read these rules

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Okay, assume the enclosure is conductive and is connected to the positive of the battery, with the negative side insulated from the enclosure. Does ^^ still hold true? Also remember, electrons flow from the negative to the positive of the battery through the wiring and components.

Thanks for the input guys
    I understand what you are saying and by rights if it hase a fuse in the circuit then by rights it is protected from overload. So it shouldt mater as long as there is no way the positive can short.
    Sorry i cant be more positive but there is always a negative side to these things.
    gtadmin, DogMan and rockmoose like this.

Super Moderator
    Ha ha ... from https://electronics.stackexchange.co...d-after-a-load it appears that while desirable to fuse the positive side of the battery, it isn't necessary in my example and the fuse will still protect the important bit ... the battery.
    studiovape, DogMan and Midlife like this.

Please read these rules

AVF Regular
    You added the electrons bit while i was typing. I had been trying to think about how this was explained but it was 30 plus years ago so there is no hope of me trying explain it now.
    DogMan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast