Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Noe
  • 1 Post By emu
  • 1 Post By Noe

Thread: Stabilising the Ijoy Maxo Quad

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Stabilising the Ijoy Maxo Quad

I have had the Ijoy Maxo Quad for some time now, which I won in a Gearbest.com competition, it is a very decent mod & has power for days (literally) with its 4x 18650 battery bay.

The only complaint I have read about it is, that its battery door bows out when it has 4 batteries installed. This can cause it to wobble & rock a little if you are constantly bumping your desk etc but it will never cause it to fall over, since it has a wide base.
    Ijoy know about the issue but have not brought out a solution for it, so I went looking for my own solution.
    Let me just say that I consider this to be a very minor issue, the mod has worked flawlessly & otherwise does exactly what I need it to, with a quality 510 connection & solid construction.

So for my solution, I didn't want to glue or tape etc something to the battery door/base, nor did I want to modify the door itself in any way or impede the functionality of the Maxo.
    The answer was simple, it had to be a removable cover but Ijoy don't make any & none of the after market manufacturers have come out with a cover for it either. Thankfully Smok brought out its own 4x 18650 battery mod, the GX350 (I prefer the Ijoy Maxo's screen & button positions to the Smok mod's) & after market manufacturers mad silicone covers for it. However, both mods have different dimensions, different button placements, slightly different shapes & so on.
    The shape of the mods was the important part, while they are slightly different, they are enough alike that my modding idea could work, so I took a small gamble & ordered a two pack of silicone sleeves : https://www.fasttech.com/p/7398101

I didn't want to cut out holes for buttons & the screen, so instead I thought I could simply cut most of the top of the sleeve away, covering just enough of the base of the Maxo to hold the sleeve in place, which is what I did.
    Using a large kitchen knife on a cutting board, I lined up the knife to get it square & pressed down, in a guillotine-like action, this worked but unfortunatel I didn't take into account that the side on the top of the sleeve would move out of slignment to the bottom side & so the two sides were not even in height.
    I solved this by using some very sharp scissors & evening it out but this did make the top edge of the sleeve look a little uneven with some high points etc, silicone is not the easiest thing to cut & get perfect unfortunately.
    I have another spare sleeve, so on my next attempt I will try holding the base (the piece I want to keep) off of the edge of the cutting board, this should allow the two sides to sit flat & more evenly, then I will make the cut & hopefully get it right in a single cut for a perfect finish.

Aside from the fiddly messing around cutting silicone to look as close to perfect as I could get, the modification works, with the base cover on, the mod no longer wobbles or rocks when bumping the table/desk, it sits flat & has a rubberised base to absorb some shock with too. If you force the mod by hand it will move a little back & forth but you have to apply a fair amount of pressure to cause it to do that.
    The cover is not going to slip off easily, that slight shape/size difference between the mods means that the cover is on tight, probably tighter than if a cover was purpose made for it.
    Also it doesn't look at all out of place, my Maxo is red/black & the battery plate/base of this mod is black, so with the black silicone on it very little has changed in its appearance. The cover does not get in the way when you hold the mod either nor get in the way of how the mod functions, for around $3Au this was also cheap to do.

Below are some pics of the battery door cover, top view/full mod, left view, right & front view, view with the base off & view with the base off upside down :

steve.c and emu like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

emu
    AVF Regular
    Mine was the same Noe I just went to office works and grabbed a pack of clear self adhesive soft silicon stick on things, worked a treat and no need to take anything off when you change the batts.

Noe likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Mine was the same Noe I just went to office works and grabbed a pack of clear self adhesive soft silicon stick on things, worked a treat and no need to take anything off when you change the batts.

That's exactly the kind of thing what I wanted to avoid, sticking things to the battery door. The cover I am using takes all of 1 second to peel off & about 5 - 10 seconds to put back on, won't leave any marks on the mod & actually protects the entire base from scratches etc.
    Also the solution i am using allows the mod to sit flat on a table, your solution would have a gap between table & mod & that would annoy me more than the rocking lol
    Glad you found a solution though, there is no right or wrong way to solve the problem, more like a preferred way much like ejuice preferences, it'll vary from vaper to vaper
    JakeFloyd likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!