Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: EOI- 2018 AVF Build a Mod Comp?

AVF Regular

EOI- 2018 AVF Build a Mod Comp?

Competition-Build a Mod

2017 AVF "Build a Mod" Comp

Last year, we didn't get many entries. So just sending out a feeler for if there would be interest this year.

Also feedback on criteria.

Hopefully we can get this going.
    giruvian, Fatman, btobw and 1 others like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    I'm in this year for sure.
    Happy to have same criteria as last year.
    Fatman, btobw and DogMan like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    I'm in this year for sure.
    Happy to have same criteria as last year.
    Awesome. .

AVF Regular
    I might actually be interested this year, time allowing.

I'm now a man with a shed

I'm yet to unpack and find most of my tools... My woodworking skills are rather rusty... tools consist of mostly chisels and things to hit them with, but I do need another mech, or maybe a regulated squonker...
    btobw, laurie9300 and DogMan like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I might actually be interested this year, time allowing.

I'm now a man with a shed

I'm yet to unpack and find most of my tools... My woodworking skills are rather rusty... tools consist of mostly chisels and things to hit them with, but I do need another mech, or maybe a regulated squonker...
    Open to timeframe suggestions.

1st year was 5 weeks, which was considered too short. 2nd year was 8, and I think it took any urgency away and most never got around to their plans

AVF Regular
    oohhh ohhh a man with a shed... and a video cam.. and a dog... and smarts... Vote ++++ Fabs Fandangles
    DogMan and stylemessiah like this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    Open to timeframe suggestions.

1st year was 5 weeks, which was considered too short. 2nd year was 8, and I think it took any urgency away and most never got around to their plans
    Five weeks is OK for build time, unless someone is trying to do an SV job with supercheap tools (possible, but Arrrrgh!)

I think what the time frame has trouble allowing for is people like me, who are going to have to buy parts and wait for them to arrive. Some of the enthusiasm can damp down during the wait, or life priorities shift around a bit.

Maybe, if we run a workshop for sourcing parts and bouncing ideas around first it will help some of us lame ducks out. Even if the build doesn't get done, we then have parts knocking around "the shed" which might get used next time. I don't see lack of participation or failure to complete as failure for the idea - nothing is wasted. I have pipe fittings and at least one 510 connector laying around which I was inspired to purchase after seeing the last comps. (I just don't know where they are yet, because they were low on the priority list when I was packing up).

If us lame ducks don't have a plan and a box parts at the end of the "workshop", then we are probably not in the running. Still not a waste. There's also a chance that the "workshop discussion" will inspire more participation, either straight up or in the future.

This gives you two deadlines to work towards - maybe three or four weeks for parts acquisition and planing, then maybe four or five weeks for the build. Breaking it into two smaller parts may actually encourage participation, and no matter what happens there are no losers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    oohhh ohhh a man with a shed... and a video cam.. and a dog... and smarts... Vote ++++ Fabs Fandangles
    Ah, don't expect too much. Most of my serious tools are for rough metal working (like welding, chopping, and grinding). There's also a beer fridge in that there shed...

If you want some structural steel for a house you're building I'm your man. Fine hand crafted artwork, not so much
    Last edited by fabricator4; 15-01-18 at 01:12 PM.

AVF Regular
    so you mean maybe a co op from modmaker or someone?

we can do that

is that what you mean? or more have the comp start in one month, and just leave this thread going for brainstorming, and discussing suppliers etc?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    so you mean maybe a co op from modmaker or someone?

we can do that

is that what you mean? or more have the comp start in one month, and just leave this thread going for brainstorming, and discussing suppliers etc?
    I was more in mind of a brainstorming session, with the participation and help of those with more experience on the best parts to use for a particular job, and where to get them.

For example, I wanted to have try at making Laurie's pipe mod when I was in Mackay. I found the 5x1mm taps almost impossible to get, and then I discovered that the pipe bits I had bought from the same place did not go together. The threads appeard to be metric, and the caps were BSP, or something. Super annoying...

What is the best switch to use? I may not want something that looks like a horn switch. Maybe a Mosfet, which one? Someone might have an idea about good regulated boards that could be used... some may be known junk best avoided...

Nothing wrong with maybe a co-op for parts too - that might be natural progression especially for good 510 connectors and switches.
    laurie9300 and DogMan like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I was more in mind of a brainstorming session, with the participation and help of those with more experience on the best parts to use for a particular job, and where to get them.

For example, I wanted to have try at making Laurie's pipe mod when I was in Mackay. I found the 5x1mm taps almost impossible to get, and then I discovered that the pipe bits I had bought from the same place did not go together. The threads appeard to be metric, and the caps were BSP, or something. Super annoying...

What is the best switch to use? I may not want something that looks like a horn switch. Maybe a Mosfet, which one? Someone might have an idea about good regulated boards that could be used... some may be known junk best avoided...

Nothing wrong with maybe a co-op for parts too - that might be natural progression especially for good 510 connectors and switches.
    I don't understand.

What difference is that to running the comp longer? The threads are always open discussion anyway, and people discussing ideas is better and more inspiring than "weekend bump". But I have no place in that, I can't ask for entrants, which they have always been free to do.

So... Is 8 weeks enough?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast