Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with Rebuildable Atomizer

AVF Regular

Help with Rebuildable Atomizer

Hey everyone,
    I love my Reo Grand and was looking forward to purchasing "The Chalice 2" by Mark Buggs.
    While waiting for stock to become available I decided to purchase an A7 rebuildable from Empire Mods, which is very similar to the Pheonix atomizer, a bottomfeeding friendly version I've been told.

Anyways, I've done alot of research and have made many coils/wicks but have miserably failed

I am using 32ga Kanthal A1 with 2mm silica wicks, purchased from vapebar.
    I have tried holding the wick against a straightened paperclip and wrap around 4-5 times but kept getting resistance on 3.0-3.5 on the multimeter.
    Because I vape at 3.7 I wanted 1.5ohms.

Davelog at the ECF recommended that i Try doubling and twisting the wire to bring the resistance down. Which did work, coils read at 1.2-1.5 but I'm not getting vapour, I'm getting smoke

Any tips or advice? If I can't get it working on this $20 atomiser, there is no way I'm gonna drop $150 on a Chalice

Thanks in advance.
    Kev

AVF Regular
    4 wraps of 32 normally gets it to around 1.7 ohm for me. Sounds like the twisted coil is burning the wick maybe. You have to keep silica wick wet constantly.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

AVF Regular
    4 wraps? I'll give it a go.
    How tight do you wrap it? I usually wrap around the paperclip and wick then remove the paperclip after.

I understand that silica needs to be kept wet, but I'm still getting a burnt taste.
    I have cleaned the atomizer by boiling it so I know its not left over machine oil or lubricant (i learnt that the hard way lol)

btw, i just bought a chalice lol
    another user on the forum was selling one along with a RedSkyMods Cutlass II. I just sent her a deposit so I better learn how to do this shiet lol.

I just tried again using 4 wraps. 2.5 ohm. I'm wondering if maybe my local vendor sent me the wrong ga wire by mistake?
    Last edited by magick81; 30-10-12 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magick81 View Post
    4 wraps? I'll give it a go.
    How tight do you wrap it? I usually wrap around the paperclip and wick then remove the paperclip after.

I understand that silica needs to be kept wet, but I'm still getting a burnt taste.
    I have cleaned the atomizer by boiling it so I know its not left over machine oil or lubricant (i learnt that the hard way lol)

btw, i just bought a chalice lol
    another user on the forum was selling one along with a RedSkyMods Cutlass II. I just sent her a deposit so I better learn how to do this shiet lol.

I just tried again using 4 wraps. 2.5 ohm. I'm wondering if maybe my local vendor sent me the wrong ga wire by mistake?
    Try 3 wraps

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Try zero'ing your Multimeter??
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

You could use a good wattage meter
    To adjust ya coil to you preferred vape 12-15 watts is mine
    Ohm's Law Calculators

AVF Regular
    I am thinking maybe it is the wire I am using.
    I was using 32g a Kanthal A1 from vapebar.com.au which is 0.16mm thick.

I did find a thicker wire to try from ecigmodshop.com.au. Is called No resistance wire and is reportedly 0.20mm thick.
    This one actually worked out much cheaper than vapebar at only $2 per meter.

I was just wondering where everyone was buying their 32ga kanthal and the thickness of the wire if known.

Cheers
    Kev

Super Moderator
    well I've wrapped the chalice for you with 32awg kanthal. about 4 wraps I think, and it came in at 1.4ohms from memory.
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

AVF Regular
    I'm really keen to see how you've done it, as I kept getting 2.0-2.5ohms with my 32ga kanthal.
    Maybe its my cheap $10 ebay multimeter haha

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by magick81 View Post
    I am thinking maybe it is the wire I am using.
    I was using 32g a Kanthal A1 from vapebar.com.au which is 0.16mm thick.

I did find a thicker wire to try from ecigmodshop.com.au. Is called No resistance wire and is reportedly 0.20mm thick.
    This one actually worked out much cheaper than vapebar at only $2 per meter.

I was just wondering where everyone was buying their 32ga kanthal and the thickness of the wire if known.

Cheers
    Kev
    Hi Kev, 0.16mm is 34g, not 32g which is 0.20mm ... and that No resistance wire is not meant to be used for a coil, you need resistance wire for that purpose.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast