Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: My new method of building wick & coil for AGA-T gennesis atty

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

My new method of building wick & coil for AGA-T gennesis atty

I just made a 28G coil & #400 wick for my 2nd AGA-T today, I tried something different to the usual advice & method I used on the 1st one. It seems to be wicking much better & I don't have a problem chain vaping it with or without tilting. Note the coil build works with other gauges & resistances of wire too.

What I did:
    Made a 4/5 wrap 28G coil, it comes out at 1.1ohms (used on mech mod but fired on LavaTube too).
    I wrapped the coil around a screwdriver shaft that is a perfect fit for the wick hole on the AGA-T, put the screwdriver into the hole & tightened down the neg end first , then using pliers pulled the pos end to remove any slack in the coil, then connected the coil onto the pos terminal.

Next I tested the resistance of the coil, after first removing the screwdriver carefully, so as not to get hte coil bent or out of place.

Next I fired the coil to get it glowing red, it glowed evenly & perfectly, as expected. This process, hardens the wire of the coil into shape & lines it up perfectly with the wick hole.

Next I removed the coil from the atty, so I could play with the wick & get it ready for this build, the coil was put back in place first once the wick was ready to be fitted to the coil. The wick was then slid into the coil & wick hole.

Cut a 45mm x 30mm wick, oxidised it, folded a 1mm edge for the outer end to prevent stray strands causing shorts(as normally done by most of us). Then rather than rolling the wick as normal, I folded 1mm, then 2mm folds, 2 of each, then rolled the rest of the wick around the folds as per normal, this gave me 2 full wraps around the folds, to get this effect ((W)).

It took a bit more time to get the wick made this way but I think it is worth it, we are relying on capillary action in the wick to keep it wicking, a completely solid wick impairs capillary action & a wick with a hole in the middle doesn't provide full capillary action throughout the wick. This wick design enhances the capillary action by providing more small channels for capillary action to take place.

Next I oxidised the wick some more , then dripped some juice on the wick & burnt it off, as per normal.

Next I used glad wrap around the wick, where it makes contact with the wick hole in the AGA-t, I cut a 1cm x 3cm piece of glad wrap & measured exactly where the wick would sit by placing it in the atty, then took it out & wrapped the glad wrap around that area a few times. This was done to prevent the wick from causing shorts to the neg post & insulates it from the neg post. Care was taken to keep the glad wrap away from the bottom wrap of the coil.
    I am sure many of us have found that when we measure a coil's resistance on its own, it will be say 1.5ohms then when the wick is added to the coil it will drop a bit of resistance to say 1.2ohms etc.
    Well I found that happened on my 1st AGA-T build, after seeing this method used a talked about, so I thought I'd give this a go to see if it actually made a difference & it has, no ohm loss on my coil, at all.

Fired up the coil, with the wick in place , no juice in tank or on wick, coil glowed perfectly first time, no shorts, no hotspots, I used the AGA ( a little bigger Dia than standard AGA-T) nuts to affix the pos leg & did not need to bend the wick & coil in towards the pos post at all, I think I could have used the standard AGA-T nuts & got the same result using this new method.
    Filled with 1.5ml of juice(just under 1/2 tank) & fired up, plenty of tasty vapor, the wicking is pretty amazing, I have the juice below the clear section of tank now & it is still wicking from an upright position(very slightly tilted for comfort but almost vertical) while chain vaping for a full minute!

I am really happy with this build & this is how I will be building my 1st AGA-T next time it needs a coil ( day or two at most). I will also build my AGA which has a smaller wick hole, similarly, after modding the hole to the same size, unfortunately I don't have anything that fits the wickhole to build the coil the same way on the AGA right now.

The info gained to use the above methods is a combination of the 2 videos below:

Go to about 44minutes into this video, for the info on the glad wrap technique:

Last edited by Noe; 10-01-13 at 09:18 AM.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Look up the Petar K method, a modder on vapewall, he came up with this technique.
    Bash likes this.

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    Look up the Petar K method, a modder on vapewall, he came up with this technique.
    For making the coil? Sure but the entire technique used above is not his. Oh & he uses non-oxidised wick too in his method.
    This method is different in that it uses oxidised wick & the glad wrap technique in conjunction with the coil method Petar K came up with.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Yes for making the coil. Interestingly when he came up with his mods he had never used a genesis style atomizer before. Thinking outside the box. Anyway decided to make one, used a drill bit instead of a screwdriver, here's how it turned out. Unfortunately my wick wouldn't fit so I'll use a slightly bigger drill bit next time.

Attachment 5015

Attachment 5016
    stevepowley and RichoVonBlack like this.

Noe
    Yes for making the coil. Interestingly when he came up with his mods he had never used a genesis style atomizer before. Thinking outside the box. Anyway decided to make one, used a drill bit instead of a screwdriver, here's how it turned out. Unfortunately my wick wouldn't fit so I'll use a slightly bigger drill bit next time.

Attachment 5015

Attachment 5016
    The drill bit or screwdriver shaft needs to be the exact same size as the wick hole & therefore the wick will slide in easy.

Nice coil though, that's how mine is glowing, all even with wick in my new build.
    Essie's Glass DTs

Second try using the correct drill bit size - just slightly smaller than the wick hole - pretty good

Attachment 5017

Attachment 5018
    RichoVonBlack and Domo like this.

Noe
    Did you measure the ohms before & after putting the wick in?
    Did you use the glad wrap technique?
    Essie's Glass DTs

Ohms measured at 1.9 before and after, that's with 5/6 wraps. What's the glad wrap technique?
    I just used the drill bit to wrap the coil tight, spaced out the coils evenly, took it out and measured the ohms, then put the wick in.

AVF Regular
    Thats when you use gladwrap and an elastic band when you dont have a condom.
    What's the glad wrap technique?.
    Mishster and hadricus like this.

Noe
    Ohms measured at 1.9 before and after, that's with 5/6 wraps. What's the glad wrap technique?
    Read the OP properly, its all explained there.
    Essie's Glass DTs

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast