Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By mathsguy
  • 1 Post By Flying Rhino
  • 1 Post By bugzme
  • 2 Post By mathsguy
  • 1 Post By Flying Rhino

Thread: Spheroid V2 improvement

Spheroid V2 improvement

Started playing with my new spheroid - (thanks bigali)

Wasnít happy with the way the +ve post is held in by nylon bushings either side (nothing to do with bigali, just a design fault I reckon). Tried tightening it, but the bushings just got squished and then shorts.

I replaced the nylon bushing on the inside with a strip of fibre washer from bunnings (approx 1mm thick, drilled out with 2mm bit).

Bend the strip into a ĎZí to help it ride over the -ve bolt. Not only can the +ve be tightened a lot harder now (because the fibre is much less compressible), but there is no more cantilever force due to the bolt heads being at different heights.

Also, there is now insulation between the -ve bolt head and the +ve disc thingy.

Attachment 5754Attachment 5755
    eTama and Flying Rhino like this.

Nice! How dose it effect the draw/airflow?
    mathsguy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Will remember this when my Spare parts die and I need replacements.
    mathsguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Rhino View Post
    Nice! How dose it effect the draw/airflow?
    As long as you make the ‘Z’ shape Zee-ish enough, there should be no difference (I can’t tell anyway) - you could always drill another hole in the middle of the strip, or keep it stock with a single washer - which is what I did to begin with, but didn’t like the cantilever, or small chance for shorting.

Attachment 5761

Forgot to say - to do a really nice job, you should probably chamfer the -ve end of the strip to allow for the un-bendiness of the fibre - but we’re talking about maybe 0.5mm - and I wanted a vape by then!
    eTama and Flying Rhino like this.

I will certainly give this a go when the need arises. the elimination of shorting get a big thumbs up!
    mathsguy likes this.

AVF Regular
    cool, will give this a go. One of my spheroids has been shorting and driving me insane! i figured it was that delrin spacer and i have squished it up pretty good and proper now. Will have to go out to the shops and get some of that fibre washer and fix it. Did you only do the inside of the base connection or did you do the wire connection side too?

2x SS GGTS, 2x GGTS, 2x UFS, 2x Ody + extension kit, 2x GG Slim, GGTB, 2x Provari, Reo Grand Kicked, 2 x cyclone with AFC, ERA RBA, 2x Quasar, 2x Tohb, 2x Zenith V2, Nemesis, Hades, Supermax, Copper Black Stingray JiB box mod and so much more

You could - but you will still need the plastic (or what’s left of it) to centre the post in the atty body hole:

When you get the +ve post out, you’ll see that the hole in the atty is significantly bigger than the post - the plastic keeps it centred in there to prevent shorting to the body from the sides. Some (all?) fibre washers get soggy when wet - keeping them under compression largely mitigates this, but as a centring washer, it would be free to absorb moisture and might get sloppy enough to short sideways.

Super Moderator
    split thread posts http://forums.aussievapers.com/moddi...r-perseus.html to seperate the offer from Perseus as requested by OP
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them