Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quom

Thread: Can i make a new coil on an old wick?

AVF Regular

Can i make a new coil on an old wick?

I'm trying to fix the hot spots but having a bit of trouble getting it even again. Even though it was working fine for a couple of days, i wrapped it in the wrong direction and I think it's gonna be easier if i just make a new coil.

The smell of burnt metal is pretty strong and i feel like it's going to taint my juice, so should i make a new wick as well? Would love to just wrap a new coil if i can get away with it.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

Super Moderator
    SS wick? Then yep
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Yeh sorry, SS.

Would you recommend pulling it out, popping in a drill the same size and wrapping it around that or just straight onto the wick?

$3642 Spent on Vaping

Super Moderator
    Sorry SMU, I'll defer that to someone who uses them all the time ... I just know you can recoil them (I do on mine, but I treat them ... gennies ... as a hobby)
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Thanks GTA.

How long could i expect a SS wick to last for? How will i know its time to replace it?

$3642 Spent on Vaping

Super Moderator
    (GT) Months / weeks ... but I don't know how to tell, I don't believe I've worn one out

I usually just wrap the wick in a little bit of rollie paper and then wrap the coil as usual, specially if your setup was fine before.

AVF Regular
    It goes crumbly or stops wicking I believe but have never worn one out (just bent them).

You can definitely recoil. If you're getting hot spots I'd consider giving the wick another heat through.
    davee likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks, i tried another coil, wrapped it on a drill bit then replaced the wick back in. Seemed perfect from the get go, then went down hill when i filled the tank up.

Cant be ass'd tonight, will start from scratch tomorrow.

$3642 Spent on Vaping