Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By gauravn4u
  • 1 Post By TheJuiceNinja
  • 1 Post By Paddlin

Thread: An amateur's thoughts on genesis atomizers..

AVF Regular

Lightbulb An amateur's thoughts on genesis atomizers..

So I got to play with my AC9 last night, and with no surprises I was still messing with it 4 hours later, sweating and cursing at it with my LED head lamp out in the man cave.

Suffice to say I have not get a satisfying vape off it thus far, but I am determined as hell to master this utterly frustrating and expensive hobby I seem to be so addicted to.

I had a few thoughts, these might sound ridiculous to someone who actually knows what they're talking about, so please slag me off for being a retard

1. I was getting the dreaded positive post short mostly, and I've seen a method where you put a larger washer on the top post to reduce the space in between it and the wick. Then I thought, what If I used one of those little double ended hook thingys with the insulation on it (the ones that come in the box with the cheap wire strippers), attach it to the positive post and then wrap the wire on the other end of it. Would this work? Would insulating that bare piece of wire in between the post and the coil make any difference or would it just burn off the plastic?

2. RETARD ALERT. My missus has one of those fragrance pots with the wood sticks that wick the oil up the stick and release its vanillerish goodness into the air. And I thought... "HRMMM, wood doesn't conduct electricity!" I have a feeling it wouldn't wick fast enough for vaping, but could impart lovely oak notes to the vape The point is I was thinking that there has to be an easier, better way to do this. Surely someone soon will come up with an awesome material, be it ceramic or otherwise and manufacture them professionally in different sizes, thus bringing genesis to the masses. Maybe a specially made porus steel rod with a ceramic coating? My father in law worked for a dental company that makes porus titanium which imitates bone structures for implants, something like that? It just seems like with a bit of innovation all of this pain could be over. COME ON CHINA.

Thoughts, comments, verbal smack-downs?
    “Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” -- George Washington

1. the insulation non the wire will just burn off plastic.

2. I am also waiting for the next innovation of wicks, I also use stainless steel mesh wicks and they last me for about a week or so .. then I have to do them again.
    There are ceramic wicks available now although not popular yet ... I heard they break easily.

as for the shorts try clad wrapping the wick on the part which touches the metal base .... they say the metal base acts as a negative and thus if the wick is not fully oxidized properly, it'll conduct electricity and cause shorts.
    The clad wrap around the wick hole will avoid contact with the metal base ... thus insulating the wick (better if you can find a plastic seal for the wick hole ... it'll be great)

I've tried this thing and can now make good setups ... my resistance remains nearly constant and I get no hot spots, (still takes tinkering around with the coil to get them to glow evenly)

as for the expensive hobby .... I bought the AC9 and sold it .... I am happy with my AGA-W setup properly.
    TheJuiceNinja and davee like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuiceNinja View Post
    please slag me off for being a retard

1. I was getting the dreaded positive post short mostly, and I've seen a method where you put a larger washer on the top post to reduce the space in between it and the wick. Then I thought, what If I used one of those little double ended hook thingys with the insulation on it (the ones that come in the box with the cheap wire strippers), attach it to the positive post and then wrap the wire on the other end of it. Would this work? Would insulating that bare piece of wire in between the post and the coil make any difference or would it just burn off the plastic?

2. RETARD ALERT. My missus has one of those fragrance pots with the wood sticks that wick the oil up the stick and release its vanillerish goodness into the air. And I thought... "HRMMM, wood doesn't conduct electricity!" I have a feeling it wouldn't wick fast enough for vaping, but could impart lovely oak notes to the vape The point is I was thinking that there has to be an easier, better way to do this. Surely someone soon will come up with an awesome material, be it ceramic or otherwise and manufacture them professionally in different sizes, thus bringing genesis to the masses. Maybe a specially made porus steel rod with a ceramic coating? My father in law worked for a dental company that makes porus titanium which imitates bone structures for implants, something like that? It just seems like with a bit of innovation all of this pain could be over. COME ON CHINA.

Thoughts, comments, verbal smack-downs?
    Ok you're a retard

1 Insulating resistance wire will not prevent it from heating = burnt plastic vape, not good.
    What you could do is use non resistance wire to connect to the resistance wire but you shouldn't need to.

The hotspot short you are getting from coil to pos post is almost guaranteed to be due to your wick not being oxidised enough & shorting where it enters the wick hole. Check out my thread & apply the glad wrap technique to your wick, you will be amazed how good it works. My new method of building wick & coil for AGA-T gennesis atty
    First though you need to re-oxidise your wick properly, that is the key to a good genesis vape, with no hotspots or shorts.

2. Wood won't work.
    China is not going to be the ones to discover better wicking materials, they are just going to be the ones mass producing what we discover in the vaping community.
    Following on from my thread above & the GW method I have had several ideas for how to improve the normal genesis set up.
    SS mesh is fine, it wicks great when set up properly, the two main issues with it are 1. shorts from wick to neg side of power, through the base where the wick goes through & 2. shorts between wick & coil (hotspots).

By using the GW method, you remove the first issue but it is not ideal, since burning GW isn't good for you, thankfully the wick doesn't heat up enough when it is wet to cause that but it does make dry burning the coil a bit of a pain.
    An idea I had to combat that is to use a ceramic or glass insulator in the wick hole so that the wick is isolated from the neg side of the power, the problem is in finding suitably sized glass or ceramic tubes to use. I know one member on here has done something similar to my idea already.
    The second issue will only be fixed by oxidation & enough carbon layer on the wick, the coil needs to make contact with the wick but not electrical contact.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by gauravn4u View Post
    1. the insulation non the wire will just burn off plastic.

2. I am also waiting for the next innovation of wicks, I also use stainless steel mesh wicks and they last me for about a week or so .. then I have to do them again.
    There are ceramic wicks available now although not popular yet ... I heard they break easily.

as for the shorts try clad wrapping the wick on the part which touches the metal base .... they say the metal base acts as a negative and thus if the wick is not fully oxidized properly, it'll conduct electricity and cause shorts.
    The clad wrap around the wick hole will avoid contact with the metal base ... thus insulating the wick (better if you can find a plastic seal for the wick hole ... it'll be great)

I've tried this thing and can now make good setups ... my resistance remains nearly constant and I get no hot spots, (still takes tinkering around with the coil to get them to glow evenly)

as for the expensive hobby .... I bought the AC9 and sold it .... I am happy with my AGA-W setup properly.
    My wicks last months, literally. If your wick is gunked up, just give it a pass over with a lighter & burn all the gunk out of it if you need to.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Thanks Noe, im ready for another crack at it. Hopefully I can get some joy this time.
    RichoVonBlack likes this.
    “Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” -- George Washington

AVF Regular
    if your getting coil shorting to the wick why not use the tally-ho paper technique ? i've used it on mine and it's working good for me so far. first attempt so needs some revision but so far so good and it's vaping
    gtadmin likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by p
    if your getting coil shorting to the wick why not use the tally-ho paper technique ...
    Works well mate (I don't even do what is commonly called "oxidising" the wick at all)
    Last edited by gtadmin; 30-01-13 at 08:03 PM. Reason: do
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    way i've found it works best is to insert the wick to were i want it to sit. wrap the paper on it then remove the wick and wrap the coil over the paper with the wick out of the atty. i then insert it all when it's wrapped. so much easier to get the coil nice and even when not having to juggle the atty aswell