Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Replacing tactile switches in mech mods

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Replacing tactile switches in mech mods

Well my switch on my Chinese V6 mech mod is screwed & I need to replace it.
    I'm wondering if something like these would be good to replace it with?
    KW11-7-1 Micro Switches - Pair (AC 250V / 16A) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

Feel free to give suggestions for other switches.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

16A .. in their dreams

but should be a very reliable light press switch for a mod.
    might be larger than what you expect..
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Got any favorite switch types that are reliable enough for a mech mod Stoney?
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

i would never subject a switch to that sort of current.
    even automotive switches only drive a relay coil.
    lots of switches will do it but for how long is trial and error i think.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Read the reviews here:
    Button Switches, Push Button Switches | MadVapes

I've got the Silver Bullet switch part number somewhere but it's a big bastard.

My China V6 mod was also playing up, wasn't firing effectively. After unscrewing the inside of the switchbit the wires that connected to the spring twisted so much, it broke off the solder that connected the wire from the spring to the switch.

Might try re-soldering it.

Whats happened to yours Noe?
    I played, I lost, I played again, I cheated, I won.

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by ballza View Post
    My China V6 mod was also playing up, wasn't firing effectively. After unscrewing the inside of the switchbit the wires that connected to the spring twisted so much, it broke off the solder that connected the wire from the spring to the switch.

Might try re-soldering it.

Whats happened to yours Noe?
    Yeah you need to take the spring out of the white thing first then unscrew the white thing to avoid that from happening Ballza, I did the same thing the first time.
    Then I re-soldered the wire onto the switch, coz that is where mine snapped off. Then the little tag on the switch snapped off, as I was putting it back together, right where the tag meets the switch housing leaving just a thin strip of metal exposed, that was flush with the plastic housing.
    So I carefully cut/melted away some of the plastic & soldered a blob onto what remained of the metal tag & then soldered a wire to that, it definitely was not an easy job & took at least a couple of hours but I wasn't going to let the thing beat me.
    I managed to get it working again but it's been maybe 5 or 6 weeks & now I have a new problem.

The switch wasn't making proper contact inside the switch mechanism, sometimes it'd fire, sometimes it wouldn't. I tested it for continuity on my multimeter & the ohms were jumping all over the place, when I could get it to make contact properly it was sometimes around 90ohms, sometimes 1.5ohms(the lowest I could get a reading to) sometimes infinite, this was just measuring on the contacts either side of the switch. So the switch is kaput.
    I have fixed it temporarily by bypassing the switch & having the wire from the spring going directly to the pos pin for the 510 connection. As a switch I am using the safety isolation screw on the bottom of the mod, which disconnects the batt from the neg end. It works but isn't ideal, since the power is constantly on when vaping with it, even between puffs while chain vaping but it is fairly safe. The neg end of the mod is getting a little warmer than normal using this "switch", I think due to a little bit of arcing when engaging & disengaging the contact.
    Essie's Glass DTs

Thanks Noe, I think I was having similar issue, the switch just wasn't making good contact.
    I guess looking at a new switch, you'll need the right size.
    Not much help from me unfortunately, soldering the wires back on is going to be a big enough chore for me, if I even get around to it
    I played, I lost, I played again, I cheated, I won.

AVF Regular
    I replaced my udt-l's with one i got from jaycar. I gather its the same as the V6. helped heaps.
    ballza likes this.

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    I replaced my udt-l's with one i got from jaycar. I gather its the same as the V6. helped heaps.
    Got a link Arth?
    Essie's Glass DTs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast