Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The new build Claw Pipe

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

The new build Claw Pipe

As I posted in another thread, I received five hand carved pipes from a guy in the Ukraine. Lovely work, and a credit to his skills. If I were to smoke a pipe, they would be the bees knees. Almost worth smoking again just to use them as they were intended!!!

I am setting up to convert them to our use. I intend to try and use different types of switching in each one. The first one, I will try and use the eGo switch set, of which I have a hand full. (Spares for when I screw up). The largest battery I can fit is an 18350. The limiting factor is the length. There is not enough depth in the bowl to allow digging out to accept a 18500. As it is, I have to butcher the bowl to take the 18350. A 16340 slips in without any modification, but no room for the electronics. Whatever I do, I have to open the bowl, so might as well do it to take the wider battery.

I opened the hole to 20mm from the original 17mm. Done in two stages, as its very difficult to get the correct center of hole with the flat bottom of the 20mm. Holding the thing by hand as its being drilled is not politically correct, but clamping is not an option. Only grabbed once, and no fingers broken!!!

I will post as I proceed, and maybe get some Ideas and suggestions along the way.??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Noe, Mushman, lastchance and 7 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Very nice Rob, i was tempted to get one of those Claw pipes on Ebay.

Will see how you go first.....
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    might give some ideas on switching.
    this one and the following ep gave some good ideas
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Gonna be a sweet vape pipe when you're done Rob.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    The electronics should fit in the Stem ok, is the Ego connection the one with a Button?

How much room is there from the Bowl bottom to the bottom of the pipe?
    should try incorporating a vapesafe into the top cap.

Sweet Rob...I was looking at Dad's old falcon pipes and others he has collected and thinking Wow I could stuff these right up making 'em vapable...love to see 'em when your finished, great work..
    Bullos and RichoVonBlack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shipo View Post
    Sweet Rob...I was looking at Dad's old falcon pipes and others he has collected and thinking Wow I could stuff these right up making 'em vapable...love to see 'em when your finished, great work..
    Could you take some pictures of the pipes shipo?
    They sound really good and I love the idea of you vaping on your fathers old pipes and I am sure he would love to see you using them too instead of sitting around unused.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullos View Post
    Could you take some pictures of the pipes shipo?
    They sound really good and I love the idea of you vaping on your fathers old pipes and I am sure he would love to see you using them too instead of sitting around unused.
    Yeah I'll try and grab a pic when I'm there, Mmmm would be great I'll run it past him...Wouldn't be me doing the modding though...Kaboom
    Bullos likes this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Ok, next up is the switch. For anybody who has worked with these before, they will understand what they are.

The circuit board mounts in a half round carrier, which usually sits behind the plastic button on your ego. The button is just a push thing that contacts the tac switch on the board. Fine when you mount in a tube mod, but another way needs to be found for other applications..

In one of my past mods, I removed a couple of LEDís from a flashlight. Amazingly they didnít get lost, so I am using one in place of the plastic button. To allow this, remove the circuit board from the plastic carrier, drill a hole in the carrier, fit the LED into the hole (after removing the stubs of the wires) and then mount the circuit board back in the carrier, but upside down.

Just done this, and it seems as if it will do the job. The switch is nice and clicky so functioning. Just waiting for the wires to break loose. Before this happens I will bend them back over the board and fix with some hot melt stuff.

Bugz mentioned mounting the switch into the stem. Not going to do this as I donít want the button on the stem. I am looking at a sensible way to have the fire button on or around the bowl, maybe even on the top, but not very happy with that. This was the reason to rework the switch so I donít have to use the eGo connector to hold the button.

Stay tuned, still working on ideas!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    shipo likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Maybe you could mod one for him to use too?
    Might bring back some good memories having a puff on his old pipe with his son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast