Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Trying to try vaping, not having much luck though.

AVF Regular

Unhappy Trying to try vaping, not having much luck though.

So after getting lost in the interwebs and coming across ecigs I was intrigued enough by the benefits (health and money) to give it a try. After doing not nearly enough research I decided to get one the elusion disposables and some high strength cartomizers to give it a try. I figured it would be the easiest way, with the nic sale restrictions, to test the whole idea out without having to fiddle around a lot. Honestly I was rather surprised, they worked well enough in replicating the act of smoking and delivering a nicotine hit that was enough to satisfy the need for analogues. Pretty quickly I happily dropped the analogues completely ... until i ran out of cartos. It was at this point I decided that vaping was worth a serious effort (and the initial investment) and I should do some more research.

Anyway, I read a rediculous amount on the net (especially here), got confused, read some more, thought I had it, read some more, changed my mind, etc,etc. In the end I decided that of all the various devices there seem to be, and contrary to most of the advice I saw posted here, that I would go with the 510 and cartomizers. As far as it goes the small form factor is at the top of my list of requirements for a number of reasons, not least of which is I hope to convert my partner if I'm succesful and that's going to be an almost impossible challenge with a cigalike style device let alone anything larger. As a side note my biggest concern with making this post and joining the forum is that I might be howled down for a foolish choice and to be told repeatedly I should get something bigger, etc, etc, as it seems a common response to new users.

In the end I made orders from three places, getting a starter kit(auto), pcc, extra mega batt(auto), some doublers, some concentrates and unflavoured nic(HC), as well as a whole bunch of mixing stuff so I could play around and figure out what mixes suited me best. I'm still waiting on the nic as it took several days for my order to be held, extra $30 postage charged, finally posted, but everything else turned up in the meantime so I figured I'd have a play around with it while I was waiting. Here's where my problems started and anyone that managed to make it through my long ramble who could offer their opinion would be wonderful.

I think I got a bunch of dud batts or a dud charger that has resulted in dud batts. The mega batt stopped working after a couple of hours (yes i charged it overnight initially even though that seems redundant with the way batteries actually work these days, but better safe than sorry I guess). Plug it in and the blue end led lights and the charge light goes green but it won't activate with either an atomizer or cartomizer. I've emailed the vendor several times and while very pleasant and responsive they could only tell me all batts are tested and I'm probably not screwing it in far enough or the contacts are dirty. I spend an hour cleaning contacts and trying every quarter turn in the charger from no light to all the way in and it makes no difference. At this point I'm noticing the regular size batts (220mah) aren't exactly performing as expected and start taking some notes. I'm still finishing the tests on the second batt but the first is taking over 4 hours to charge from the wall and dies after approximately 120 draws (2-3 seconds per draw). Now I begin to suspect the charger has caused issues but i'm told again its more likely to be basically user error.

My questions, (if anyone made it this far and can be bothered answering)

Should it really take 4hours+ t0 charge a 220mah battery from the wall?
    Is it likely I got 3 faulty batteries or a faulty charger that has somehow caused the issues?
    Is 120 2-3 second draws on a standard 510 batt normal or should I expect the 200 odd that a lot of sites advertise?
    I've been using the doublers (100% PG) mixed with with 0mg VG and the flavours seem very weak. Does the nic make that much difference in taste?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    Should it really take 4hours+ t0 charge a 220mah battery from the wall?
    Is it likely I got 3 faulty batteries or a faulty charger that has somehow caused the issues?
    Is 120 2-3 second draws on a standard 510 batt normal or should I expect the 200 odd that a lot of sites advertise?
    I've been using the doublers (100% PG) mixed with with 0mg VG and the flavours seem very weak. Does the nic make that much difference in taste?

Thanks
    G'day Nakor, welcome.

1. No, should take about an hour, hour and a bit to charge a 220mAh battery with a 220mAh charger
    2. Unlikely to be 3 faulty batteries (it could be, but unlikely) and I would suspect the battery charger
    3. 120x 3s tokes / draws / drags sounds about right for the smaller battery
    4. The nic will alter the flavour somewhat, but not a shitload.

Hope that helps a bit
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Just one thing to check to start off with - on the back of the charger it will say either 150mA or 420mA. If it's 420mA and you've tried charging a 510 type battery with it, you could have fried the battery. If it's 150mA and you're trying to charge a larger than 510 type battery, it'll take a long time. Don't know all the right technical terms and stuff. The point I'm trying to make is there's different 'size' chargers for different size batteries. Might be worth checking.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    As they are auto battery's, just try sucking on the end without an attachment. If the fairy lights flash, the battery is working. I dont have a 510 auto battery to try it on??? Its real bad luck to get a whole bunch of dead battery's.

They are very small and I would say 120 puffs would be their limit. We have people around who can give you a better idea.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    The reason people on here recomend away from the cigalikes is because most have been there and in no time flat, they just don't cut it.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Wall charger 500mah + usb cable which states input 500mah output 140mah so I guess I can rule that out unless one of them is faulty.

Tried the sucking on the end trick with the mega batt but nothing happened, guess it's cactus.

If the drag count is about right then its fair enough, I figured it probably wouldn't be as high as advertised hence why i got an extra mega batt for at home and a pcc while out.

Mr_B - I got the impression that a fair amount of that is due to battery life, would that be correct?

AVF Regular
    I have noticed the charger does act somewhat strange, at least in my opinion. If I have the charger plugged in and on and then connect the battery the red charging light comes one. However if I plug the battery in before turning the charger on the green charging light comes on and stays on. Anyone have any idea why it would do this, it seems strange that it would have to be done in a specific sequence in order for it to work correctly.

AVF Regular
    Try getting another charger and see how you go.
    I think battery life is part of the reason, I started out on cigalikes, not keen on the idea of anything bigger. But limited battery life and output made me seek something else in the end, the cigalikes are probably the best place to start imo for making the switch, when you get used to vaping as opposed to smoking there is a good chance you will want something with better performance.

Super Moderator
    cigalikes are a waste of money IMO. crap flavour, rubbish vapour and you have to drag in 4litres of air to get a throat hit.
    I would look at an ego battery with a low resistance carto or clearo. Miles better and you'd get longer battery life.

Super Moderator
    As far as it goes the small form factor is at the top of my list of requirements for a number of reasons, not least of which is I hope to convert my partner if I'm succesful and that's going to be an almost impossible challenge with a cigalike style device let alone anything larger. As a side note my biggest concern with making this post and joining the forum is that I might be howled down for a foolish choice and to be told repeatedly I should get something bigger, etc, etc, as it seems a common response to new users.
    Quote Originally Posted by juddyau View Post
    cigalikes are a waste of money IMO. crap flavour, rubbish vapour and you have to drag in 4litres of air to get a throat hit.
    I would look at an ego battery with a low resistance carto or clearo. Miles better and you'd get longer battery life.
    But he wants the small form factor ...

I have noticed the charger does act somewhat strange, at least in my opinion. If I have the charger plugged in and on and then connect the battery the red charging light comes one. However if I plug the battery in before turning the charger on the green charging light comes on and stays on. Anyone have any idea why it would do this, it seems strange that it would have to be done in a specific sequence in order for it to work correctly.
    My charger does this too, don't know why, it just does
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast