Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Hello to everyone, a new member with some questions.

Hello to everyone, a new member with some questions.

Hi there. Just wanted to stop and say hi. I have been smoking for almost 30 years now, and a couple of days ago a friend let me have a try of his e -cigarette.
    It felt pretty good and I wanted to try them for myself, so I hopped online and got all the stuff I thought I will need to start my Vaping. I purchased today and was assured that all the gear will arrive in the next couple of days.
    I am fairly convinced it is a much better alternative than the stuff I am currently inhaling.
    One thing I would appreciate is if people who have quit and use e-cigarettes (for longer period of time) could share some of their experiences- did they start feeling better after using them, and did any of them got any health issues or troubles from using the e-cigarettes.
    And what could be serious potential risks (if any) of using the e-cigarette?
    This seems to be pretty big community here, and I hope I will get at least a few people give me the information I seek.

Kind regards to all,

Ferdinand
    margyb likes this.

I'm sure some one with a little more experience will be here to answer you a bit better than I can, but I'd like to say I swapped out in may last year and it was the best choice I've made health has improved to the point that if my kids run from me I can catch them, I have taste buds again, I don't cough horribly every morning when I wake up and even with the excessive money I have spent on mods and fancy stuff you can see my savings in my signiture below (and how many smokes I haven't smoked)

I wish you luck in swapping, everyone here is really helpful
    Ferdinand likes this.

AVF Regular
    I assume here you have ordered stuff with nic in it. I gave up the gaspers as soon as i got my gear as i found it easy. I copped a lot of phlegm and some insomnia for the first couple of months. I still get some phlegm now, but i'm not sure if that's normal anyway with non-smokers. Good luck !
    Ferdinand likes this.

AVF Regular
    welcome ferdinand. to answer your main question quite a few of the members on here use vaping more for harm reduction then quiting nicotine as such we use it as a safer less dangerous delivery system than carcenogenic riddled darts. others have successfully reduced there nic down and given away both smoking and vapeing or just continue to vape NO NIC liquids
    Ferdinand likes this.
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann...12_default.png
    So far only about $1200 spent on vapeing

AVF Regular
    Just out of curiosity wat kit or place did you order from.
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann...12_default.png
    So far only about $1200 spent on vapeing

CCC
    As soon as my kit arrived i quit smoking that day (it came with prefilled nic cartos) Pretty much chain vaped all day to stop the urge for a cigarette, got a stronger e-liquid and that settled down, over a year later still on the e-cig, would never go back to smoking now its discusting to me.
    Ferdinand likes this.

Retired Account
    Hi Ferdinand, and welcome to the forum. Like yourself, MrGruffy and I got to try a friend's PV (personal vapouriser aka ecig) back in November last year.
    We were surprised at how much it felt like smoking a cigarette. You take a puff and inhale it, and then exhale and what looks like smoke (but is actually mainly water vapour) comes out.
    We went home and started doing some research on the internet, but used her referral card to a place which sells cig-alikes to buy our first kit. It was a couples kit which included 2 batteries each, and 2 chargers and a bunch of pre-filled cartridges that we simply had to screw onto the battery and we were good to go for the equivalent of about 15 - 20 cigarettes. We quit smoking on those. Within a week, we had both smoked our last cigaretty. I started smoking when I was 14 and I smoked for 32 years, smoking around 40 cigarettes a day for most of that time. I had tried patches, medication, inhalers, and many other methods to try to stop smoking and nothing really worked. In fact, I managed to quit for most of a whole year, but if I'm honest with myself, during that time I still sneaked the odd cigarette under stress, and not one day went by when I didn't crave a cigarette.

I was sceptical as all get out about this new fangled electronic thing. I was curious enough to give it a go, but I honestly didn't have a lot of faith that it would work. I was so surprised when on the 6th day after starting with the PV, I decided to smoke the last 10 cigarettes I had left and 'be done with it'. I was so certain that the PV would work for me, and the cigarettes already were less satisfying and tasted like crap compared to the cartridges I had with my PV.

Not long after that, we found this forum and the wealth of information available here by a very active community, along with a wonderful level of support. We learned about better batteries, better ways of liquid delivery, the brain hurting level of choice of equipment and flavours, and our adventures for find what was best for us commenced. I'm sure we still are searching for that. There seems to be no end to the variety of different contraptions we can buy and MrGruffy can make.

Looking back now, the initial equipment we bought was very expensive in terms of what we know we can get now, but the truth is, it was that expensive kit that got us off cigarettes, and I dare say, if we had started with the more complex stuff, we may have found it all too hard and fallen off the wagon. A lot of people will advise you to get better gear to begin with, but I'm beginning to think it's probably better to start with simple, uncomplicated stuff, and advance by evolution rather than revolution. When I think back on it, that first kit cost us less than 2 weeks worth of smoking cigarettes would cost us, and lasted us close enough to a month. By the end of that month, we had learned a lot more about what to try, and were able to put in an order to both local vendors which have subforums here, as well as one or two of the overseas vendors with subforums here who we were able to buy nicotine liquid from. Three to four months later, I'm sitting here with about 200 concentrates and a mini lab set up for testing and mixing my own flavours and adding my own nicotine to them, and feeling very comfortable that I have a fair idea about the safety aspects of what I'm doing.

We are feeling a LOT better health wise. Neither of us have a smoker's cough any more, although we've found we need to drink more water because the eliquids dry the throat a bit. I was very ill last year with extremely high blood pressure, and that has settled down after giving up cigarettes. My cholesterol is also down from 8 to 6.2 (in 3 months, with no medication) and the only thing I can attribute that to is to giving up cigarettes. I honestly haven't found there are any negative impacts on our health. MrGruffy got his annual cold/flu thing a few weeks ago, and for the first time in years, he didn't end up with a chest infection/pleurisy.

I think we have spent probably close to $1000 on equipment and liquids in nearly 4 months. That means we've saved nearly $3000 which we would have spent on cigarettes in that time. I wish I knew where that money has gone, but we managed to spend it.. lol! We have booked 2 interstate trips with some of that money, and bought a couple of big ticket items we wouldn't have had the money for while we were smoking. We have also splurged on the odd nice piece of steak too!

My best advice to anyone starting is to take your time, ask lots and lots of questions, and give yourself time to absorb the new information. Try lots of different things, both in the hardware and the liquids. I wish you all the very best in your new and healthier future!!

AVF Regular
    My experience is similar to those that have already replied.

Just remember that while you may still be vaping nicotine, you are still going to go through some level of cold turkey from all the other tobacco chemicals etc, and your body will need to adjust to missing all those tobacco alkaloids etc. How much of a cold turkey varies a lot from person to person. For me it was quite easy to give up, but I did go through some sleepless nights and flu like symptoms for a few weeks. It can be hard a first trying to work out whether any negative things that you experience in the first few weeks is because of vaping or because you gave up smokes. For most people its the later, but for a very small percentage of people they are sensitive or allergic to vaping. Also it can take your throat etc a little while to adjust to vaping, so drink plenty of water and keep the throat lubrucated for the first few weeks.

While I was smoking, I was out off breath, getting headaches a lot, my gums were slowly dying , and I constantly had a sinus issues. Since giving up all those issues have gone away .

Good luck
    GirlyPantz, margyb and Ferdinand like this.

Welcome Ferdinand.
    I think it took me about 5 weeks of vaping before I gave u the cigarettes.
    I wish you luck and if hav any questions just ask, and it is a good idea to list your location also just incase you need some one on one help
    Ferdinand likes this.

AVF Regular
    LOL MrsG
    You made me smile when you said

"We quit smoking on those. Within a week, we had both smoked our last cigaretty."
    GirlyPantz and mrsgruffy like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast