Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: First time mixing - any suggestions?

AVF Regular

First time mixing - any suggestions?

Finally got my nic order and now have to start mixing it all. Was hoping someone might offer some suggestions on what I might do with the stuff I ordered.

I've gotten 36mg nic 100%VG as a base. Local doublers 100% PG - Alchemy, Charm and Witches Brew. I figure I'd just 50\50 mix those.

I also got some HC concentrates for a try - Vanilla, Coffee, Espresso, Hazelnut and Caramel. I'm a serious coffee person and they seemed like good complimentary
    flavours that could result in something tasty. Anyone have suggestions on combinations and what % these concentrates work well at. I do like strong flavours.

Thanks.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    I've gotten 36mg nic 100%VG as a base. Local doublers 100% PG - Alchemy, Charm and Witches Brew. I figure I'd just 50\50 mix those.
    Ok thats an easy one.

50% 36mg VG nic
    50% doubler PG (alchemy)

That will leave you with a 50/50 pg/vg split at 18mg.

Not sure if anyones told you about steeping, but most mixes need to be steeped for a week or 2 before they reach their intended flavour. This just involves leaving the mix in a dark place like a drawer. You dont have to do this, but you'll notice better flavour once the liquids have had time to bond.

Cant help you on the concentrates, someone else will though. You will need some plain PG though.
    Last edited by Sign me up; 19-03-13 at 03:36 PM.
    margyb likes this.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    Finally got my nic order and now have to start mixing it all. Was hoping someone might offer some suggestions on what I might do with the stuff I ordered.

I also got some HC concentrates for a try - Vanilla, Coffee, Espresso, Hazelnut and Caramel. I'm a serious coffee person and they seemed like good complimentary
    flavours that could result in something tasty. Anyone have suggestions on combinations and what % these concentrates work well at. I do like strong flavours.

Thanks.
    It worries me a little when I see newbies starting out with a 50/50 PG/VG ratio that they can't get lower in VG content because the nic is 100% VG, same goes for PG, which is why I recommend 75/25 PG/VG based 36mg/ml nic.
    Most vapers prefer a slightly higher PG base in their juice like a 70/30 or 60/40 PG/VG ratio but some vapers prefer higher VG ratios too, so 50/50 can work but if you want more throat hit(TH) you are pretty limited.

You will need some plain PG to mix with your nic & concentrates, to DIY your own juice, unfortunately PG is not as easy to come by as VG is. VG can be bought easily, off the shelf, at the Chemist or Heath Food shops, while PG can be bought at some Chemists, they will usually need to order it in for you & it will be quite expensive.
    Probably the easiest way to find some PG, quickly, is to get it from an Aussie vendor like VK : Propylene Glycol (PG)

To make a 10ml, 18mg/ml juice, using the nic you have & HC concentrates, you will need to mix:
    5ml 36mg/ml VG base nic
    1ml to 2ml concentrate (10%- 20%) it is possible 1ml(10%) will be too strong, in that case use 0.5ml(5%)
    3ml to 4ml plain PG

Start with 5ml mixes is better for testing flavor, you will also want a dripping atty to make it easier to test your DiY mixes.
    5ml is good because you can play with the %'s of concentrates then mix all the 5ml batches together into the mix you find is the right % later.
    So let's suppose you mixed 5ml @ 10% flavor & it was too weak, you would then mix up a 2ml (20%) flavor & test vape that, then it will either be just right or too strong ( if it is too weak (very rare & with coffee flavor highly doubful) then you mix up a 30% flavor etc). If it is just right, then you can mix up a 5ml 30% flavor (which will be too strong) then add the 5ml 10% flavor to it & you will now have 15 mls (5ml +5ml+5ml) of 20% flavor. If it is too strong at 20%, then you can add the 10% & 20 % flavors together to get 10ml @ 15%, if 10% was too weak & 20% was too strong then 15% should be just about right.
    15% may be a little strong or a little weak but you now know the basics of how to mix & test your DIY & can adjust the % accordingly.

Edit:
    If you need to get a dripping atty, then this is as good as any for testing your juice with http://juicewhore.com/store/Joyetech.../prod_293.html
    You can also get PG from JW to save on postage from 2 different vendors http://juicewhore.com/store/DIY-Supp...-/prod_33.html
    Last edited by Noe; 19-03-13 at 06:51 PM.
    margyb likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

CCC
    Yep just 50/50 your nic and doublers, then if you want chuck a drop of concentrate in and see what happens have fun!

AVF Regular
    I made a point of getting some PG and VG 0 nic unflavoured with a whole bunch of mixing stuff so I could try different ratios with the concentrates. I ended up mixing up 8 10ml bottles of the doublers and different concentrate mixes. My theory was that I know they'll need to steep a while to really see what they're like but I wasn't going to continue buying smokes while I waited. I figured even if they were a bit weak to start with I could see how they develop over time and build a better understanding of the steeping process. Nothing like diving in to make you learn to swim. I'm going to take a bunch of notes, even at this stage it's obvious that some concentrates are a lot stronger than others. Hazelnut is very overpowering even at 1.5%.

On a brighter note, loaded up the PCC and went out for six hours without smokes on me and was quite happy. Got three smokes left to get rid of and the first one tasted absolutely foul already. I think two more and I should lose all inclination to buy anymore. I did however show a friend some of the flavours available so I suspect I'll go and spend the money getting more things to play around with.
    margyb likes this.

AVF Regular
    Good job with the smokes Nakor!

I think most of us vaped our mixes un-steeped when starting out. Nothing wrong with that.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

AVF Regular
    Even vaping nic with no flavour can help keep you off the smokes while you are waiting for juice to steep

AVF Regular
    I tried vaping with no nic while I waited for it to turn up. Was a complete bucket of fail for me. Flavours were nice enough but somewhat diluted by my continued chain smoking whilst vaping. : /

Working much better now though, although I think I'll need a few days to adjust to it.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    TOO MUCH importance is put on steeping!
    Most juice is almost as good tasting unsteeped as it is steeped. It's a bit like maturing cheese, if you buy cheddar semi-mature, then leave it in the fridge for a few weeks (unopened) it will have a bit of a stronger taste than a fresh slab of cheese off the supermarket shelf but essentially they taste the same, one has just matured a bit more.

Some juices develop a lot more than others when steeped but the greater majority of juices do not improve more than (subjectively) around 5% when steeped, from when they were fresh.
    Nakor likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    That's good to know Noe. I thought it was a bit odd that some infomation placed such great emphasis on it. I would have thought steeping is more about ensuring the mixes have a consistent flavour that's thoroughly distributed. It didn't seem to me like most of the contents would undergo much of a change in form so it would be less like maturing cheese or aging wines etc, and more like using a good paint mixer before applying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast