Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Dry mouth; a new treatment

Dry mouth; a new treatment

Many are plagued by dry mouth with vaping, sometimes to the point of feeling like your mouth is cardboard.
    I will go through the common remedies, followed by a new one I've just discovered and haven't heard of before.

Firstly, it is most common with PG and the higher the PG, the worse it is. Sometimes it is thought to be PG sensitivity/allergy, but I actually think this is fairly rare. Mostly I think it is the drying effect of the PG.

Secondly, it can be worse with higher nicotine and longer amounts of vaping.

The first remedy suggested is to sip more water as you vape. A bit effective, but actually the "moisture" of your mouth is actually saliva, not water, and the most effective techniques involve increasing saliva production more than just adding water, although the water at least dilutes the effective PG reaching the lining of the mouth.

The second remedy follows from the cause; PG. Go to a more VG heavy or even totally VG based juice. This is very effective in most cases.

I had the dilemma of my favourite juices (House of Liquids) only available in 50/50 PG/VG mix. So I went all out in the search of effective treatments for dry mouth.

I tried all the Biotene products, mouthspray, mouthwash, and found the chewing gum and the oral gel the most effective, they were helpful, especially putting in some oral gel just before bed, but still not enough.

Increasing saliva production is, IMO, the most effective method for dry mouth. Chewing gum often, even all day, (besides when vaping) is one of the most effective ways to increase saliva production, and the Biotene gum doesn't seem to be particularly better than other gum, although I steer away from the mints; fruity flavours tend to work better.

Another one is citrus; the sourness increases saliva production. Sipping on lemon water, eating oranges, and even getting "warheads" type sour lollies is excellent.

So; we come to the new method which, in addition to the above, is now allowing me to almost exclusively vape HoL liquids all day, every day.

It's about factors which increase the drying of the mouth in addition to vaping. Specifically, its about mouth breathing.

I didn't realise until recently that I mouth breath at night and that this can be a crucial factor in dry mouth. You can imagine it's very drying to the mouth. It didn't matter before vaping, but the added drying of PG added to the drying from mouth breathing and created a vicious dry mouth.

Mouth breathing usually comes from sinus troubles; I don't have much nowadays but as a kid I had it terribly, and developed a lifelong habit of mouth breathing, even once my sinuses cleared.

I have been training myself to suck my tongue into my palate at night, creating a small vacuum, which then keeps my mouth closed through the night and voila! Problem solved!

I'm gradually retraining myself to keep my mouth closed and nose breath at night and it's really working.

If you think you have PG sensitivity you might want to ask yourself if you have sinus troubles/snoring troubles and if you mouth breathe all night. You might need to work on clearing your sinuses if they are blocked (beyond the scope of this post) or else ask if you have developed a habit of mouth breathing, and work to become a nose breather.

I am certainly grateful for any other tips on this common problem. How have other people dealt with this?
    Noe, GirlyPantz, margyb and 6 others like this.

This should be in a sticky somewhere. Very useful info for beginners.

AVF Regular
    and I thought I was the only one experiencing some of these symptoms.

i just find im drinking alot of water to deal with this
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.....im off to the PUB

Great post!

AVF Regular
    Nice write up. Water and chewing gum doing the job for me.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

I just drink plenty of water and go to the toilet a lot :-). Chewing gum will produce more saliva but you have to drink a lot of water as it dehydrates you.

Addy

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    The advice to drink plenty of water is perhaps the most important one we give to new vapers. We've been told for years that we should be drinking 8 glasses (2 liters) of water a day but I never came anywhere close until I started vaping. If I follow this guideline dry mouth is never a problem. Mostly I put something in the water like fruit juice etc. (Not Scotch, that should be drunk straight).

The phenomena of "cotton tongue" where everything tastes the same or like pineapplepineapplepineapplepineapple, I believe is similar to dry mouth but is not the same thing. It seems to be related to an imbalance of the bacteria in the mouth and especially on the tongue. I believe the anti bacterial effect of PG is partly to blame. For this condition I can recommend drinking water, getting fanatical about oral hygiene, and sipping on Indian tonic water to liven the tastebuds up. Vaping too much on the same flavour also trigger it, but I believe the condition has to already exist for it to become a real problem.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I find orange juice is great at producing saliva

AVF Regular
    I find by rubbing my earlobe between my forefinger and thumb as I vape actually wets the vapor as I am vaping, see how you go.
    TheOtherBruce likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast