Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: E-Cig question

E-Cig question

Hey all,

I've smoked a few times when I've been out with mates and lately I've been thinking alot about smoking. I came across e cigarettes the other day and now I'm really interested in them.

can someone who doesn't really smoke use them in place of actually smoking? I just think they are a healthier alternative.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    It all depends??? The short answer is yes, you can use them in place of tobacco, and they would be the healthier alternative. What I don't understand is why you would want to if you are not an addicted smoker.

If you feel the need to bow to peer pressure, by all means go for it. My advice is if you want to be in with the in crowd, go for the non nicotine option. Far better in the long term.
    GirlyPantz, shipo, CCC and 2 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Super Moderator
    G"day Fitzy .... I reckon you need to fill us in a little more with your personal details before anyone can answer a questions such as this , but as it would appear you are not really a smoker as such , its probably best you dont start out an addictive habit ( either smoking , or vaping with nicotine )
    If you came here and said " Hey I am addicted to smoking , and am wondering if e-cigs are the go " you probably would get different advice , but myself personally I wouldnt encourage anyone to become a smoker or a vaper , if they werent already addicted to nicotine .

I think most of us on this forum look at electronic cigarettes as a form of harm minimisation , or at least , after doing our own individual research , feel vaping to be a better strategy than smoking cigarettes .
    Last edited by Fatman; 27-03-13 at 01:25 AM.
    GirlyPantz, shipo, Robray and 3 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

thanks for such a quick reply guys. Yeah I was thinking the non nicotine options. I'm 20 years old. I mainly just after the whole social side. I also enjoyed the sensation of the smoke.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Fitzy , as an adult , you are free to make your own decisions , but for me personally I would re-iterate ... dont start a habit, that you dont want to be stuck with.
    If you simply MUST .... then research , and make sure you obtain 0 nicotine gear from a reputable Aussie supplier ...

( but pssssst ... I still cant recommend it personally lol )
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    As a non-smoker, wanting just to explore the social aspects of vaping, I think a 510 cigalike , using 0mg/ml juice, would be your best option & by far a better option than smoking to "fit in with the crowd".
    It's small, has a short battery life of about 2hrs for a regular vaper but for a non-smoker it shouldn't matter if it runs out of battery or another option is a Joye Ecab, which will cost a little more initially but has replaceable batteries & IMO is a better option.

I don't have a problem with an adult making a conscious decision to vape socially with 0mg/ml nic, it's your life & your own risk to make the decision with. It may lead to a habitual dependance though, which is half the addiction for many of us.

Ecab kit here : Joyetech eCab Starter kits (Changeable Atomizer & 360mAh Battery) [A-Z1 eCab Kit] - $52.00 : Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail
    You will also benefit from a Ecab - 510 adapter, so that you can use "standard" cartos etc with it : Joyetech eCab adapter (eCab-510) [A-Z8 Adapter] - $6.40 : Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail

Or 510 kit, just don't get an "auto" battery kit, they are plagued with problems : [Joyetech] Joye 510 Starter Kit (Manual/Auto)
    GirlyPantz, shipo, margyb and 1 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

A healthy alternative is not to smoke at all, when a non smoker asks me what i'm doing i explain to satisfy their curiosity even if they find it fascinating and want to try i never tell them how to go about starting it up. I personally see vaping as a alternative to smokers that find it hard to quit and a viable option to greatly reduce the harm from current analogues but it still has a risk factor no matter how minimal. Right now i don't consider your self a smoker, your just doing it to be sociable..... Stop, Simple.

Yeah good advice is not to start anything. We all know how that turns out.

But this raises an interesting question. I imagine if vaping simply were not available, then people like Fitzy would take up the smokes. He has said as much. Just like most of us did once upon a time.

But vaping is available, so Fitzy is already looking at finding a better alternative than it. But it begs the question..if Fitzy is wanting to do it due to his peer group all smoking, would taking up vaping, even at 0mg, be the start of a slippery slope toward analogues. Or would that slope have been there anyway, with vaping simply being a bush to get snagged on halfway down?

Fitzy, if it is going to be a toss up between analogues and vaping, then go for the vaping at 0mg, like others have said. You don't need nicotine to make it any more real, just creating lovely plumes of vapor will be enough.

But if you do this and take up vaping around your mates, don't listen to any pressure telling you to not vape and switch to analogues instead. Stick to your guns. You don't want to be where we all are in 20- 30 years saying you never should have started smoking, you should have listened to those randoms on that forum lol.

Good luck. At least you are thinking about it.
    GirlyPantz, margyb and CCC like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by vampyre_masq View Post
    A healthy alternative is not to smoke at all, when a non smoker asks me what i'm doing i explain to satisfy their curiosity even if they find it fascinating and want to try i never tell them how to go about starting it up. I personally see vaping as a alternative to smokers that find it hard to quit and a viable option to greatly reduce the harm from current analogues but it still has a risk factor no matter how minimal. Right now i don't consider your self a smoker, your just doing it to be sociable..... Stop, Simple.
    Who are we the nanny brigade now?

Fitzy is determined to smoke or vape, sure we can say "don't do it" but is that going to stop him? not a chance.
    So rather than give him the snub, isn't it better we give him the right advice & allow him to make the better choice? I think so.
    As long as he is determined to either smoke or vape, then there is only one possible option for us & that is to help him on his path, it is HIS PATH & HIS CHOICE, all we can do is advise he doesn't use nicotine & help him get started the right way.

15 years ago, Fitzy would have become another statistic & victim of big tobacco like the rest of us, today he has a chance to avoid all that & still satisfy his desire to fit in or look cool or even just to blow huge clouds in front of a mirror, without becoming addicted to it & suffer the harmful effects of smoking.
    Think about it like this, would you like someone telling you not to use a mobile phone because it could lead you to driving & talking at the same time & kill you eventually?
    Because that is basically the same as saying don't use another electronic device which may or may not have harmful side effects (like mobile phone radiation may,) is completely legal to own & use but because it may lead to you using nicotine & then lead to you starting smoking & dying of lung cancer, stay away.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

CCC
    I echo what keyboardmama said. I know if there had been e-cigs around when i was a teenager i would have been all over them. Don't waste your time and money on the little ones you can get from the markets or tobacconist, rather look at something like this Basic Starter Kit | Electronic Cigarettes - VapingMadElectronic Cigarettes – VapingMad You can get E-juice from the same site to refill with, choose standard 0mg flavour.
    margyb and keyboardmama like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast