Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Need some motivation to quit the stinkies?

CCC

Need some motivation to quit the stinkies?

margyb, essiemessy and Rocksie like this.

AVF Regular
    This Bryan Curtis palaver says everything I absolutely hate about rabid, irrational, anti-smoking propaganda.

No 33 year old dies from smoking alone. The cancer he had must have been a particularly virulent one to kill a young strong man in 9 weeks. People in their 60's who get lung cancer generally last way longer than 9 weeks, more like 9 months, or even years.

It's just totally illogical to attribute this guys death wholly to smoking. Non-smoking 33 year old's die every day from cancer. Infinately more 2 pack/day smokers live into their 60's and 70's than die in their 30's. In fact I've never heard of a single other smoker dying from a smoking related illness in their 30's...it's just ludicrous to say that smoking killed this boy.

We all know that smoking increases the likelihood of getting lung cancer, but it's not the only thing that causes cancer. Hasn't anybody noticed how nobody talks about the thousands and thousands of non-smokers who die of cancer every year? You hear about a neighbour who's been diagnosed with cancer, you ask; was he a smoker, ah no he wasn't......deafening silence.

The anti-smoking vigilantes must have been so excited to get their hands on the Bryan Curtis story! Seeeeee, we TOLD YOU SO! But had he been a non-smoker and got lung cancer at 33 it would have been a terrible tragedy, the cruelness of fate to take such a young father, life is just so unfair sometimes. But, ooooh! he was a smoker, there's the culprit, there is something we can blame 100%, that will alleviate our terror about the randomness of fate, about the reality that we have next to zero control over when and how we will die.

There are so many things that can kill us, but we hardly bother to ask what else they might be because whatever happens we can always blame it on smoking, or 2nd hand smoke, or 3rd hand smoke...and continue to keep our head in the sand about chemical additives in food, radiation emissions from being surrounded by hundreds of electronic gadgets, smearing ourselves from top to toe with chemical products including sunscreen, air pollution, toxic waste in the environment, fluoride, chlorine and god knows what other chemicals in our water supply, sedentary lifestyles, transfats, refined carbs,......and on and on and on.

But no, it's always smoking, either your own habit or someone else's.

Ok, rant over! :P
    Last edited by JenJ; 07-04-13 at 02:16 PM. Reason: obsessive compulsive grammar disorder

CCC
    I used to rationalise my smoking with pretty much everything Jen said, and lets not forget the guy who smoked his whole life and dies at 99. I guess why this video hits me hard is because i could end up being the woman in that picture. Hubby saw it and laughed it off saying he already has 3 years on that guy, i just don't see the funny side at all.
    Last edited by CCC; 07-04-13 at 03:02 PM.

AVF Regular
    I heared This dude had AIDS and cancer. Apparently its bullshit. My uncle looked pretty close to that before he died of Cancer.
    Last edited by arth_d; 07-04-13 at 03:37 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    I used to rationalise my smoking with pretty much everything Jen said, and lets not forget the guy who smoked his whole life and dies at 99. I guess why this video hits me hard is because i could end up being the woman in that picture. Hubby saw it and laughed it off saying he already has 3 years on that guy, i just don't see the funny side at all.
    I'm really not rationalizing my smoking. I'm fully aware of the damage it's doing to my body and have been trying in one way or another for years to stop doing it. What makes me furious about this kind of propaganda is that it's unbalanced, irrational, manipulative, but most of all extremely counter productive for many long term smokers who are fully aware of the health dangers, and already wracked with guilt and self loathing about their failure to quit.

It's fear mongering and shaming, which does nothing for me except elevate my already high levels of stress and fear around smoking....and what's the first thing a smoker reaches for when stressed?

I appreciate being informed about the dangers of smoking, but there isn't one person with half a brain left in this country who isn't already more than fully informed about the dangers of smoking...that horse has been flogged to death. But this kind of propaganda steps it up to another level, this is not rational verifiable information. It's lies, provocation and manipulation. It's based on the assumption that if you are still smoking then you must be also lacking intelligence.

It shows absolutely no compassion, care or interest in the feelings of helplessness that many smokers feel. It offers no support, provokes no intelligent discourse about the neurology and psychology of addiction, or the root causes of it. This kind of biased propaganda reeks of contempt and disgust for smokers, with no regard for the humanity behind their self-destructiveness.

CCC
    Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    I heared This dude had AIDS and cancer. Apparently its bullshit. My uncle looked pretty close to that before he died of Cancer.
    The AIDS thing is a rumor apparently, no court action has been taken.

Retired Account
    It's the media campaign, along with other initiatives, that has probably significantly improved the chances that none of my 5 kids will take up smoking. I'm grateful for each and every single one of them. Statistically, they're more likely to take up smoking, having grown up in a family where smoking was very normal. There was no smoking outside in my house. Every now and then, they'd get a lecture from me, generally speaking with a cigarette in one hand, and a glass of wine in the other, warning them of the dangers of smoking and drinking.

I say bring on the scary ads, make them as dramatic as possible. I am so grateful that my five adult and nearly adult children have not taken up smoking and only drink socially. I don't know quite how I got that lucky. I totally don't deserve it, based on my own behaviour around them.

I watched my grand father and uncles waste away from cancer all smoked all where fit big strong guys in their late 50's that ended up skinny weak men in and all dead before their 62nd b/days~ i still smoked 50 a day fully knowing i was heading down the same path yeah i try'd to quit but i couldn't kick it

Thank God i looked into vaping i just hope i didnt leave it to late
    arth_d, margyb, CCC and 4 others like this.
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.....im off to the PUB

Super Moderator
    Not taking anything away from a very ugly and sad situation as experienced above , I think a lot of people fail to recognise , that up until the 20th century , the average human life expectancy was indeed around about 30 ( of course that is low due to high rates of infant mortality skewing the results downward ) , but the simple fact we live to 70 or 80 these days makes us forget that the human body , only acheives this due to the environmental factors we experience nowadays and advances in healthcare etc .
    Being born in a country where most of us expect to live to be octogenarians , we fail to remember that the human body as a hunter/gatherer that it was evolved to be was never designed to live that long in the first place . We are indeed a generation that is defeating our design specifications . Its all a matter of expectation ... In medieval Britain , the chappy above would have been deemed to have lived a good long life.
    I do agree with the sentiments above ... for the anti-smokers etc to jump in and claim this as their evidence is a fair bit sickening and deceptive , but if it stops one kid picking up the habit , its doing some good .... does the end justify the means however... I dunno ???
    fifthflo and Vapes of Groth like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Yep. Whatever will scare my grandkids off is fine with me. Too late for my own kids, though. But there's hope.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast