Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Rambling thoughts of a newbie

Rambling thoughts of a newbie

Hi All,

Just thought I'd have a bit of a ramble about a few things I've found I like, love and hate about vaping after 8 weeks of being analog free...

I started by doing heaps of web browsing (I won't say "research" at that point because it really wasn't) and buying myself a "Stardust" starter kit... or did I? I didn't know a lot about what brands were reputable or who sold what, as most of the web-sites seemed to be offering essentially the same product, to my eye. I'm still a bit confused as to what constitutes the "real deal" and what are clones... and realistically if there is a difference. Am I missing something by not having a genuine say Ego (is Ego even a brand?) compared to something described simply as a CE6 Clearomiser? I would assume so, as the "genuine" stardust replacement coils i bought didn't fit the "genuine" stardust clearomisers I own. I also have 2 "genuine" Ego 650mAh batteries that are two different sizes, one branded with the suppliers name and one with no branding at all. I just did a co-op buy with a friend who ordered the same battery ( from a different supplier) and it is marked "Ego" and is a different size again. How does a newbie know what they are buying?

I know the answer to the above would be "Only buy from a reputable dealer"... Well... I've dealt with "Australia's ultimate supplier", "Australia's No1 pre-eminent electronic cigarette supplier", and nearly every other online store seems to make similar claims to be "the best, the No1, the ultimate" etc... Vey confusing for us new vapers.

On a happy note, as part of the co-op buy, I got some Innokin iClear 16's and am in love!!! Vapour and flavour far better than anything I've previously experienced.

Note for other newbies... be prepared to kick the addiction / habit of smoking and taking up the hobby of vaping... I have to admit, I love the hobby element, trying different bits and pieces, experimenting with flavours etc. I find it really interesting that as a smoker, I only ever smoked one brand and didn't really feel like I was satisfied unless I smoked that brand. but as a vaper, I 'm happy to try different flavours, bit and pieces etc.. As for now mixing my own liquid, I'm beginning to think I must have been a frustrated industrial chemist just waiting for an outlet!

Anyway, thats it from me... Just felt the need to share some thoughts.
    Cheers all,
    Paul
    Mickg33, gregds, giruvian and 6 others like this.

Paul, sounds as if you've landed well.

At the end of the day, doesn't really matter if you got the best deal, if your happy then it's a good deal. To be honest looking back on it, I wished I'd landed that well 8 weeks into it. Well done.

AVF Regular
    The difference between " genuine" and a copy is a mine field, as long as it does the job, if you get snared by the "cult of shinny" ( as I have) you can get the quality, but you pay a price ( still cheaper than the coffin nails) , at the end of the day, if it keeps you off the coffin nails your a winner,,,
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

AVF Regular
    whatever works for you....that is the best thing ....whatever keeps you off the smokes
    RichoVonBlack likes this.

MY LEGEND IS BUILT ON THE CORPSES OF THOSE WHO STOOD AGAINST ME
    When asked to move a mountain, don't be daunted by the size of the mountain, merely start moving the rocks
    Provari v2 ,DIDN'Tx2, AGA-Tx2,Kir Fanis Tripolitis Tower tank, GGTS with clone ITHAKA, Sigelei Telescope,Vmax,couple of different clone mech mods, few different clone drippers and atties

Your right, as long as it keeps you off the smokes it doesn't matter if its genuine or costs too much. I think we all forget how much we paid for a pack of smokes.....last pack of 40 long beach I bought cost me over $26 and that would last me 2 days! Not to mention what it was doing too my health!
    Now paying over $15 for a bottle of juice seems expensive, but it would probably last me over a week so really cheap compared too what I used to pay.
    It just that now I've gotten used to paying not a lot and I still tend to look for cheaper batts, clearos etc by going to all the different sites, and trying to get the best price!
    So really, whatever keeps you off the smokes, genuine or not, cheap or expensive, it's all good
    gregds likes this.

AVF Regular
    it is amazingly confusing to start off with, isn't it! I think it's almost kinda like a rite of passage to end up with at least one piece of kit that doesn't fit anything else you've got and is shoved in the back of the cupboard never to come out again ... lol. sounds like you're starting to find your way just fine, tho
    RichoVonBlack likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PHUCKDUP2 View Post
    whatever works for you....that is the best thing ....whatever keeps you off the smokes
    Like Phukd said. I have a big mod, in the end though, my little ego twists and a dct tank is what I use all the time and I couldnt be happier. my total set up costs $35 lol. It doesnt have to cost the earth to work well.
    gregds likes this.

************************************************** ***************************************
    $489.52 spent on vaping

I think I'm pretty lucky to have got into vaping right now, for a few reasons... The primary one is having a resource like aussie vapers available... Learning a lot from others experiences. Secondly is the current state of the industry, it seems to me that the vaping technology is advancing in leaps and bounds at the moment... an example is the dual coil clearos I just bought. Lastly I think I'm lucky because so far the industry is unregulated, while some may see this as a negative, i do shudder to think what impositions will be placed on us if the government gets it's claws into it.

I hope my initial post didn't come across as being too negative. I know that I've been frustrated with what is and isn't a so called genuine product, but the primary reason is the frustration of not knowing if it actually means anything and if there is any real difference.

At the end of the day, the many of you who have responded are 100% correct, the important thing is I'm off the smokes and vaping has definately filled the gap as I feel no desire whatsoever to have a ciggy (it would probably kill me now anyway)... which can only be seen as a fantastic outcome.

Cheers and thanks,
    Paul
    bilbo likes this.

I started off with an overpriced V2 cig device and upgraded quite quickly after that. In hindsight i don't regret that decision at all because even though it was underperforming and pricey, it did was make me more determined to do some proper research second time around and get a much better setup. Aussie vapers has helped heaps with that heaps with all the informative posts and a list of aussie vendors means i know which stores i can trust to buy quality gear.

I'm using an ego twist now with a carto tank and its just performing really well. I want to try a bit of everything now, because you're definitely right about it being a hobby and i see it the same way too.

I don't think anyone answered this bit yet, but just yell at me if they did, caffeine levels have not reached their optimal level yet

Ego is a style of battery, the main manufacturer is Joyetech, the Joye or Joyetech ones carry a little more credibility, I think the manafacturer backs the product a little more, that said I have a bunch of clones in 650 and 1100 mAh and they work just fine so far.

With the clearomizers, I believe the Vision Stardusts are the sort of base brand the others are modelled on, I buy this brand because from the reviews I have read, the Vision branded ones do perform a bit better than the clones.

There are a lot of clone items around that will all do roughly the same job, you just have to do a bit of research and find out if one brand is likely to fall apart or perform poorly more than another if you are going to shell out more than a few bucks.

Glad you are doing well with the vaping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast