Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: E-cig inhalation technique

E-cig inhalation technique

Having searched around the forums, the newbie section and stickies i couldn't find anything as descriptive as this for how different vaping is to smoking. I for one have been helped by finding this which i have copy/pasted from a US forum. Simple things which experienced people accept aren't known to us newbies, such as slow gentle prolonged draw into mouth first. Anyway if others are anything like me this might help, obviously its not exhaustive or commandments:

Virtually all newcomers to electronic cigarettes are ex-smokers [1], so it is natural for them to try to use an e-cigarette in the same way as a tobacco cigarette, especially as the first model chosen may be a replica of a cigarette.

Unfortunately this doesn't work well, as the two things may look similar but are functionally very different. One is a paper tube where the smoke resulting from burning chopped-up vegetable matter is inhaled; the other is a steel tube producing a water-based vapor from a liquid that is vaporized by a battery and heater element - essentially, a low-temperature steam. One contains tobacco that is set on fire at high temperature; the other has no tobacco and generates mist using a battery. There aren't really any valid comparisons between the two.

If an ecig is used like a cigarette, it doesn't work, and there might be other issues too, such as a sore throat or lungs. An ecig doesn't contain any tobacco; there is no combustion; nothing is ignited; there is no smoke; the process is low-temperature within a mist-laden atmosphere. Multiple clinical trials have demonstrated that if an ecig is used in the same way as a tobacco cigarette, either zero or very little nicotine can be measured in the user's bloodstream.

So now that we know it must be used differently, the question is: how? The short answer is that the only similarity is that both are placed in the mouth. After that, everything else is different.

1. E-Cigarette vapor is not drawn directly into the lungs, as many smokers do with a tobacco cigarette. The lungs do not 'suck' on the ecig; a direct inhale is not used. Instead, the vapor is first drawn into the mouth, using the cheeks to create a vacuum, then inhaled if desired.

The vapor doesn't have to be inhaled though, and an ecig can be used like a cigar, with the vapor only taken into the mouth. Nicotine will still be delivered - and probably better than if an attempt is made to inhale the vapor directly into the lungs.

2. First the vapor is drawn into the mouth, then held there for a second or two. Then, it can be inhaled if desired. The vapor is then expelled through the mouth or nose.

3. The vapor is drawn very slowly and gently into the mouth (not the lungs). A hard pull, as is normal with a cigarette, cannot be used since:
    a. The heater coil doesn't work properly unless air is drawn across it gently for several seconds. There won't be any nicotine in the vapor if a short hard pull is used.
    b. It may pull liquid into the mouth.

4. E-Cigarette vapor is a water-based mist and not smoke. This has two main consequences:
    a. The droplet size in vapor is ten times the particulate size in smoke (10 microns vs 1 micron). This means that cigarette smoke penetrates far more deeply into the lungs, travelling deep into the smallest passageways. Vapor cannot go anywhere near as deep, and this means that nicotine is not available so easily from the lungs, and is obtained more slowly.
    b. It is likely that just as much nicotine is absorbed by the mucous membranes in the mouth and nose as within the lungs. In fact for maximum nicotine delivery, all three need to be employed: mouth, lungs, nose - otherwise all the nicotine cannot be delivered.

5. Indeed it is not necessary to inhale, when using an e-cigarette, to obtain nicotine: holding the vapor in the mouth will suffice for some people (especially with high-strength liquid), and expelling some through the nose as well, after a very shallow inhale, will add to the nic delivery. Persons with serious lung diseases caused by smoking, such as emphysema, can take advantage of this - since inhaling anything further, even mist, is absolutely not advised.

Nicotine delivery via cigarette smoke is unusually rapid - it reaches the brain in around 8 seconds, which is at least three times faster than injecting nicotine, which takes up to 30 seconds to reach the brain. This is part of the grip cigarettes have, since this ultra-fast delivery becomes associated with the act of smoking.

Nevertheless, a properly set up e-cigarette, with a sufficiently strong liquid for the equipment and user, used correctly after advice from an expert, will deliver nicotine in about 30 seconds. After a period of adapting to the new delivery method, this has proven acceptable to smokers switching to the ecig.

6. Lastly, an 'inhale' on an ecig (which as we have seen above is nothing of the sort, it's more of a 'suck') is much, much longer than with a cigarette. There is only somewhere between 10% and 50% of the nicotine in ecig vapor compared to cigarette smoke, so more vapor needs to be taken in, and for a longer time session - probably about 12 minutes as against the 5 minutes a cigarette lasts. Also, the atomizer simply doesn't work if a 2-second inhale is used, since for at least the first second it is warming up and does absolutely nothing.

With a small ecig we draw into the mouth for between 4 seconds and 8 seconds (yes, 8 seconds), depending on how efficient the device is, how strong the liquid refill is, and how expert the user is; the average draw length is 4 or 5 seconds. This would be used with a mini ecig, for example. As you can see, a slow and gentle 'suck' of 5 seconds bears no relation at all to the sharp, hard lung inhale of 1 or 2 seconds used with a cigarette.

With a larger and more efficient ecig we might use a 3 or 4 second draw. We don't use a direct lung inhale or a 2-second draw with any ecig, except by personal preference, for occasional variation. Neither works: a lung inhale doesn't get enough nicotine and causes soreness and coughing, and a 2-second cigarette-style draw is basically a placebo operation as the atomizer won't be doing much.

Results of incorrect use
    As we can see, incorrect use doesn't work and has issues: little or no nicotine will be delivered; coughing or irritation to the throat or lungs may result. An e-cigarette cannot be used like a tobacco cigarette for multiple reasons. Tobacco smoke contains materials that are engineered to have an anaesthetic effect on the throat and lungs, but e-cigarette mist does not have these compounds.

There are probably more clinical studies carried out and published where the researchers didn't have a clue how to use an ecig than studies performed correctly with advice from an expert. We can easily see this in results that include reports such as 'zero nicotine was delivered' or 'the lungs were affected'. It is a little worrying to see such results since it brings into question the results of other studies: if clinical researchers are demonstrably so incompetent, could other results they obtain also be wildly inaccurate?

They're different
    Always use your ecig in a different way to a cigarette (apart from them both going in the mouth). If you find yourself doing something - anything - the same, it's probably wrong and certainly suboptimal.

Definitely to be avoided
    Try not to apply a lighter to the end of your e-cigarette.
    Don't try to flick ash off the end, you'll look stupid.
    Do not throw your ecig out of the car window after finishing with it.
    margyb, CCC and bk_renesis like this.

AVF Regular
    I saw this ages ago, and all I could think of it was WTF??? I smoked for years and know more smokers than I could possible count. I have never myself, or seen any other smoker, draw cigarette smoke directly into their lungs. I think whoever wrote this got mixed up with how joints and bongs are smoked. I vape exactly the same what I smoked, although the initial intake into my mouth might be a bit slower and longer. take it into the mouth, inhale, exhale. it's how I smoked. it's how I vape.
    essiemessy likes this.

i THINK i vape the same way as i smoked. i draw the smoke/vapor to my mouth, inhale a little, exhale out through mouth and nose. i dont really know what it means by drawing it directly to the lung, how did you even do that? like breathing in the smoke or something?

oh wow kay kay lol cant believe we post the same response at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    I saw this ages ago, and all I could think of it was WTF??? I smoked for years and know more smokers than I could possible count. I have never myself, or seen any other smoker, draw cigarette smoke directly into their lungs. I think whoever wrote this got mixed up with how joints and bongs are smoked. I vape exactly the same what I smoked, although the initial intake into my mouth might be a bit slower and longer. take it into the mouth, inhale, exhale. it's how I smoked. it's how I vape.
    well you know one now ......i have always smoked by drawing directly into lungs and no mouth puffing and same as most people i know
    perhaps because i started with bongs/joints which is obviously all about a deep lung draw

AVF Regular
    lol my next door neighbour smokes by apparently drawing directly into the lungs somehow. I know she does this because she tried my ego plus clearo the other night and nearly coughed her guts up! I think it has probably put her off vaping for life!
    essiemessy and Megan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx View Post
    i THINK i vape the same way as i smoked. i draw the smoke/vapor to my mouth, inhale a little, exhale out through mouth and nose. i dont really know what it means by drawing it directly to the lung, how did you even do that? like breathing in the smoke or something?
    drag on a cig straight down to your lungs yes like breathing it in
    wow must have been my "alternative" lifestyle beginnings but for me the vaping technique is significantly different to smoking

Quote Originally Posted by LizBiz25 View Post
    lol my next door neighbour smokes by apparently drawing directly into the lungs somehow. I know she does this because she tried my ego plus clearo the other night and nearly coughed her guts up! I think it has probably put her off vaping for life!
    i don't understand this disbelief in how it works .....you people have clearly never gotten high haha

anyway appears the lung draw is in a minority here but reading this article was very helpful for me .....perhaps others too as the article alludes to

AVF Regular
    I'm a bit confused by the above responses too. When I smoke a cigarette I inhale it straight into my lungs...didn't realise there was any other way?

The first time I tried my friends PV I had a coughing fit because I used it the same way I would a cigarette. It was the same the first few times I offered mine to someone to try, but I've learnt now to explain to people to inhale slowly and gently, don't just suck it back like you would a cigarette. The throat hit when you do that nearly kills you!

I thought the OP quote was good, but I'd already worked out myself that I need to inhale much more slowly and gently with an ecig than I did with smokes.

AVF Regular
    huh. well, there ya go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast