Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Thinking about starting up

AVF Regular
    Mods are most definitely optional But there sure are some purty ones around

Raa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Raa, I smoke 12mg, but maybe I'll go for the 24mg right? I've never really been into flavoured tobacco/cigs to be honest, probably prefer to run with something that tastes similar or the same as regular tobacco to be honest. Oh and the last paragraph went straight over my head haha. *edit: regarding your first post a few above this one. You guys are too quick for me
    mwaaahahahaha.. allow us to show you the way of the vaping.....

Actually it is probably common for most people to "think" that they want a tobacco replacement flavour wise. I was certainly thinking that way until I found out, through a few 10ml bottles of different flavours, that citrus flavours made the whole thing viable for me and in particular lemon was enough for me to never pick up another smoke from the day my kit arrived from China. Other's recommend getting menthol even if you never liked menthol smokes.. for me that was completely the wrong advice.
    Nearly 2 years on and lemon is still my go to flavour and currently I am mixing up a bit of cola and red bull concentrate into a home brew mix that is quite tasty for my palette. That is why I said to get a heap of different flavours (including tobacco type ones) because you never know what is going to do it for you

Here is a quick run down off the top of my head too.

Cartomiser - this is a combined atomiser (heaty up thing) and cartridge (filler to hold the juice) and is one of the older styles of set up.
    Atomiser - originally you bought an atomiser (heaty up thing), and a cartridge which plugged into it (filler to hold juice). Some people gave up on the cartridge and just dripped juice directly onto the atmoiser.. this is called dripping.
    Clearomiser - typically things like a Vivi Nova or a Stardust would be considered a clearomiser. This is where you have a post running the middle of a tank (tank is the juice reservoir) At the top of the post is an atomiser and there are wicks that run through the atomiser and dangle into the juice. I use Vivi's myself although I have a bit of a like/hate relationship with them.

The tank I was talking about for the boges (a brand of cartomiser) allow you to put your cartomiser in a tank. The cartomiser will be punched or slotted.. maybe drilled (in other words you put a hole in the carto to allow juice from the tank to leech into the cartomiser). Liquinator is the brand that I use and I like it. What it essentially does is mean instead of having to "top up" your cartomiser throughout the day because it only holds say a ml of liquid, you fill your tank and it will probably last you the whole day.

Batteries -they do break. I have had buttons fail on my ego batteries from too many drops on the desk (knocking it over), I have had the electronics fail in the ego battery and I have busted an ego twist (variable voltage version) when it slipped out of my hand and hit concrete killing the electronics. However they are only something like $20 - $25 a pop and will typically last a long time.. much longer than a pouch of tobacco.
    tally-ho and Juzm like this.

. Ego type batteries last about 300 charges. If you get ones 1000mah or higher they will last over a day of use so two should last about a year.
    . There are two main types of connections on batteries that everything bolts onto (510 and ego cone threading ) pretty much a standard now.
    . So all atomizers/clearomizers/cartomizers that have these connections go with the ego batteries ( and mods but save them for later )

. To start with a clearomizer is the easiest IMO ( buy a few spares they last between a week or two )
    . Pair it with an Ego battery ( 1000mah or greater ) buy two and a charger ( starter kits are available from aussie vendors )
    . Order a heap of flavours from overseas premixed with nicotine to start with

and just a question how many smokes do you consume a day ?
    Well at least Vaping has stopped my god awful wheezing

Fox
    Thanks a lot you guys. Raa cheers for breaking it down like that, helps me to understand a little better. I'll start looking at a few of those startup kit options which have been posted. Vreid I smoke around 15 I guess, usually have one every hour or so. A 50g pouch lasts me just under a week.

So basically I should look for an ego with over 1000mah with a clearomizer and post from there?

AVF Regular
    Hey Fox you mentioned you are in brisbane. how far from the calamvale are are you
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann...12_default.png
    So far only about $1200 spent on vapeing

Raa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    So basically I should look for an ego with over 1000mah with a clearomizer and post from there?
    I would say that is a good starting point to dip your toes in the water. Think of it as an experiment. Lets say you spend $120 getting set up, work out how long you would have to be off the smokes to null out that investment.. that is your break even point. For me it was a 10 day experiment and that experiment started 644 days ago. Consequently I am now ~$7,660.44 better off.

Again, get two batteries minimum. If you don't get passthrough batteries (ones that have a USB connection onboard to allow you to charge with a standard mini-usb cable) get two ego chargers in case one breaks. They are cheap as chips anyhow.

Fox
    Looking at this link from KamaKaZzie...

Ultimate eCigarette Starter Kit

Looks like it ticks the right boxes of what has been recommended by you fine people

Each Vapebar Ultimate Starter Kit Contains

1 x Genuine Joye eGo-C Upgrade 650mAh Battery
    1 x Genuine Joye eGo-C Upgrade 1000mAh Battery
    1 x Joye eGo-USB Charge Cable
    5pc Vision eGo Stardust V2 Clearomisers
    1 x eGo Lanyard (No Logo)
    1 x Medium eGo Carry Case
    1 x JoyeTech 30ml eJuice (flavour of your choice)

Since my wife is making the switch with me would I be better off ordering 2? Can you buy the cig part (what do you guys call that?) separate or not? Or would I be better off with the start kit mentioned above as well as the following (posted by Iheamfrg)
    Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit eGo-T - Cobra Kit B
    Only $40 for 2, seems like a bargain right? Then we'd have one spare and save on the second kit?

Any idea why the first one comes with a 650mah and 1000mah rather than 2 1000mah? Finally (sorry for all the questions and thanks for your patience), is this kit as simple as- get it> initial charge> vape away> charge/change juice> rinse repeat? I don't know about drilling holes etc, at least not to start. Finally finally, how long will one of those ejuice bottles last (for a 15/half pack a day smoker)? At $12 a pop for 5 should I start with 5 flavours for 25 total for my wife and myself? Or grab more?

Fox
    Quote Originally Posted by izmali View Post
    Hey Fox you mentioned you are in brisbane. how far from the calamvale are are you
    I live in Redbank Plains (technically Ipswich but I keep that quiet). So about half an hour I'm guessing.
    Silver.unicorn likes this.

Raa
    I probably don't have any particular comment on the two starter packs. That said the vapebar batteries are genuine Joytech which I would recommend. I am not sure if the Cobra kit is Joytech or another brand. Regardless either looks fine. If your wife is going with you I would look at either getting two kits or getting an one kit and an extra battery (or two.. can never have too many )

I would however absolutely recommend getting some nicotine which you must get from overseas. Personally I use Healthcabin.net for my NIC juice. The NIC juice takes care of some of the cravings and also really helps with what is referred to as "throat hit". Throat Hit or TH is the familiar feeling you get when you inhale that you currently get with your cigarettes but possibly don't even realise. I am now in a position where I can go without the nicotine and not suffer any withdrawal at all however I still use NIC because of the feeling. You can get either unflavoured or flavoured NIC.
    On that subject, my personal experience is that the quality of the flavours provided by our local vendors is far superior to the cheap flavours available through places like Healthcabin. That said, there are still nice flavours to be had cheaply from overseas. So what I would do is have a look at Healthcabin, check through the extremely large juice range. Grab a 120ml bottle of plain NIC juice and a 120ml of VG and PG each (dirt cheap and VG or PG are effectively the carrier solution for nicotine and flavour.. it's what makes up the bulk of the fluid) Also grab a wide variety of 10ml juices probably at 18mg strength. That will then set you up with plenty of options.

10ml bottles, vape as is to sus out your flavour preferences
    NIC with VG and PG - this will allow you to buy "doublers" from local vendors (concentrated flavours ready to mix 50/50 with non flavoured solutions)

The thing with VG and PG too, both do the same job but this is a taste thing. VG mutes flavours but provides more vapour. PG less vapour but more flavour. Some people like to go 100% either way whereas others like ratios of PG/VG such as 60/40 etc.

This possibly all sounds complicated but it really isn't, it's just new.
    Alternatively you can do what I did and just get some premixed flavoured nic (remembering you will probably budget for 4ml usage per day) and so if you bought 10 different 10ml flavoured nic mixes you would have 100ml of juice which would give you about 25 vaping days.. of course some flavours you will hate and not use so lets cut that down by 1/3 for what we affectionately call "arse juice" so you now have 16 days of juice. If both you and your wife love it, that means you will have about 8 days of vaping before you have to order something else.

So actually, maybe get 15 x 10ml bottles knowing you will follow up with a nic order later.

Nah bugger it, grab the big bottle of nic and the vg and pg at the same time. 115ml NIC (say 36mg) is around $11. VG and PG are about $3.50 each. Then you can get the flavours locally to keep you going for a bit.
    lheamfrg likes this.

Raa
    My last thought before bed time. I don't know what your motivation for quitting smoking is but mine was money.. and I have achieved that goal beautifully. A nice side effect though is that I am no longer filled with dread everytime that I cough thinking that when I move my hand from my mouth I am going to have to run looking for a tissue. I also have a sense of smell again which is sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Who knew my poop really does stink. Lung capacity is much improved too... and best of all, I can't help but feel really really proud that after 20 years of smoking I don't actually smoke anymore.. and know I never will again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast