Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Thinking about starting up

Fox

Thinking about starting up

Hi, I've been a smoker for around 10 years now and I've just begun toying with the idea of switching to electronic cigarettes. My wife mentioned it briefly to me a year or so ago but today is the first day I've given it serious thought. I was in Mt Ommaney shopping centre where I saw a small stall set up and got to talking with the owner. He gave me his card with the website:

Aussie e Cigarettes

It all seemed reasonable but as a newbie I obviously have no real idea on what's a good deal and where the quality is etc. So I tried to look up independent reviews of this brand (with no luck) which brought me to 2 review sites:

E Cigarette Reviews Australia | Buy The Best Electronic Cigarettes Direct From The States
    E Cigarette Starter Kit Reviews - Australian & International Brands

Judging purely from these 2 sources- Green Smoke and Social-Lites seem to be the highest rated on the respective sites (with other companies like Apollo and Volcano ranking highly). The Social-Lites seemed alright as they have a case to carry them around which also can be used to recharge them, and they say they are local which is a massive plus for shipping costs and time. It says they have 0% nicotine which is apparently law but that's ok, the hand to mouth is one of the toughest habits anyway.

Really though I have no idea what is a good deal and how quality differs. I'm not looking for top of the line, as I don't particularly want to drop a lot of money on something I've never tried, but I don't want something cheap and dodgy. If anyone has any experience (whether positive or negative) with any of these 3 products or has other recommendations I'm open and thankful for your time. Cost is a factor as I'm guessing ill need 2 startup kits (for my wife and myself) so even if there's any dual offers (like the Aussie-E-Cigarette company in the first link offers) then that would be ideal.

From what I've viewed it looks as simple as charging the cigarette, "smoking" as desired and replacing the cartridge (or whatever it's called, sorry I'm not down with the lingo!) when it runs out/charging as needed. Simple is good as I don't really want something overly complicated or time consuming when I'm hoping it can be a step towards quitting or at the very least a cost effective smoking tool.

I also work long hours (8-12 hour shifts) so something with good battery life or easy to charge from a wall/portable unit would be nice. I smoke roughly fifteen 12mg rollies a day if that is helpful information.

Sorry about the wall of text and I'm deeply grateful for anyone who has the time to respond.

Ben.
    margyb and Juzm like this.

Super Moderator
    Please.... do NOT use either one of those. They are overpriced.... and really just plain crap.

There are a few threads in here regarding beginners buy lists...

I'll find one for you and edit this post with the link in here.

Newbie shopping list Edited

There's also this:

A Guide to Vaping - By AVF

This will give you a WHOLE heap of info on alot of different devices you can get.
    Last edited by m0n4g3; 12-06-13 at 05:49 PM.
    luntingsir and KamaKaZzie like this.

AVF Regular
    Save yourself some heartache & money, dig a bit deeper.
    especially check the new vapers threads in this forum.

AVF Regular
    if you do decide to go with the cigarette like ecigs, I suggest you source them overseas, so you can get ones with nicotine in them (try starting at about 18mg), cos otherwise, it'll be really hard to quit the smokes.

Welcome Fox,

Just with regard to those 2 reviews sites; I noticed one uses affiliate links - which tends to indicate that the review site receives a commission or some sort of payment for referring people. Coupon codes may also be used as affiliate tracking.

I'm not saying that the opinion stated on those sites of the products is fake, I'm just saying there may be some incentive involved with promotion and that may alter your opinion of whether they are unbiased reviews.
    Humbuggery likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by icarus View Post
    Welcome Fox,

Just with regard to those 2 reviews sites; I noticed one uses affiliate links - which tends to indicate that the review site receives a commission or some sort of payment for referring people. Coupon codes may also be used as affiliate tracking.

I'm not saying that the opinion stated on those sites of the products is fake, I'm just saying there may be some incentive involved with promotion and that may alter your opinion of whether they are unbiased reviews.
    yes greensmoke etc pay affiliate fees based on the discount code used. They work but are way overpriced and you would be better off getting an ego kit as suggested in the linked threads by people. Or if you really want a small cig alike look then many places sell them much cheaper and with standard 510 fittings so you arnt tied to their gear
    I have 50% Originals and 50% clones, am too lazy to try to change the world and bored with the whole debate

Welcome aboard!

Lots of good info here.

my $0.02: Avoid those things like the plague.

I went with this starter kit, very happy with it so far.

Many people will have suggestions on where to get some e-liquid/e-juice/juice with the good stuff in it.
    margyb likes this.

Hi Fox, as a longtime smoker, who was heavily addicted to smoking and as a new vaper, I can provide info on my own experience.

I tried the type of ecigs you are talking about about 3 or 4 years ago. They provided nothing but trouble, with the charge not lasting very long and constantly having to drip more juice into them. They broke within a week, leaving me with a poor opinion of the whole vaping thing.

Recently, I decided to check out if the technology had improved and was pleasantly surprised at how far things had come. Rather then dive straight in, I did a lot of research and opted not to go for a kit, but to go for something that I felt would provide me with the best chance of quitting, while also being affordable. Saying this, you can go cheaper, but after researching, i felt it was worth the extra expense to opt for something a little more adjustable.

Along with other items, the main bits of kit I purchased was
    -A Joyetech eVic, which has variable voltage and variable voltage, along with a slew of other features, that you don't really need.
    -Joyetech eVic
    -4x Vivi Nova STV
    -Extra battery for the eVic
    -Various flavoured nic juices from the US

This was three weeks ago. I joined this forum and posted for some info on my initial experience with the flavours, which I must say, weren't overly impressive. Rather then repeat it, you can read it here.

Anyway, after persevering, I was impressed that getting through that after getting through that initial period, I am doing well. The flavours taste much better and this is my third week without a cigarette.

This is the easiest and most successful thing I have tried that has enabled me to stop smoking. It really works wonders and I can highly recommend it.

Fox
    Awesome, thanks guys. I was worried about possible shill reviews and that's what lead me here to ask the question, along with having no knowledge on what is a good deal and what isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by m0n4g3 View Post
    Please.... do NOT use either one of those. They are overpriced.... and really just plain crap.

There are a few threads in here regarding beginners buy lists...

I'll find one for you and edit this post with the link in here.

Newbie shopping list Edited

There's also this:

A Guide to Vaping - By AVF

This will give you a WHOLE heap of info on alot of different devices you can get.
    Ill check those out mate. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    if you do decide to go with the cigarette like ecigs...
    What do you mean like ecigs? Are there different types?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickg33 View Post
    yes greensmoke etc pay affiliate fees based on the discount code used. They work but are way overpriced and you would be better off getting an ego kit as suggested in the linked threads by people. Or if you really want a small cig alike look then many places sell them much cheaper and with standard 510 fittings so you arnt tied to their gear
    Ego kit? I'm not sure what a "small cig alike" is (probably should've dove into those links first haha), I wasn't aware that there was a great variety, I just thought that you got the cylinder and puffed away Looking at your signature though and the small sift through I've done on these forums after my post I don't really get all the different terms/types etc. and it is going over my head to a degree. I'll look into those links and see if the lightbulb comes on.

Quote Originally Posted by KamaKaZzie View Post
    Welcome aboard!

Lots of good info here.

my $0.02: Avoid those things like the plague.

I went with this starter kit, very happy with it so far.

Many people will have suggestions on where to get some e-liquid/e-juice/juice with the good stuff in it.
    I'll check it out. Ecigs, ego kits, 510, e-liquid, e-juice... I pictured it like picking a brand, much akin to Winfield/PJs etc and it being that simple, not sure what all this means but I'm sure it'll be clear once I check the links?

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotus View Post
    this is my third week without a cigarette.

This is the easiest and most successful thing I have tried that has enabled me to stop smoking. It really works wonders and I can highly recommend it.
    Awesome stuff, that makes me really optimistic about this. I'll read your thread too.

Thanks everyone for the fast feedback, I really appreciate it.
    luntingsir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Awesome, thanks guys. I was worried about possible shill reviews and that's what lead me here to ask the question, along with having no knowledge on what is a good deal and what isn't.
    Shill? They'd have to be paying me SOMETHING first, even regular discounts would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I'll check it out. Ecigs, ego kits, 510, e-liquid, e-juice... I pictured it like picking a brand, much akin to Winfield/PJs etc and it being that simple, not sure what all this means but I'm sure it'll be clear once I check the links?
    hehehe it will only get worse when you start checking out the links... The more you read (initially at least) the more confused you will become. But that's OK, just come back, have a search through the guides and ask more questions.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast