Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Flea
  • 5 Post By Sign me up
  • 1 Post By keyboardmama
  • 1 Post By kay67kay
  • 1 Post By Stoney
  • 1 Post By Stoney
  • 1 Post By Sign me up

Thread: Voltage, resistance, taste...??? Help!

Voltage, resistance, taste...??? Help!

Hey everyone,

Noob here

Four days in...going okay, although I'm not convinced...yet. Only smoked 10 analogues in total since Tues morning which is a record of sorts

My kit:

Ego-C Twist 650mAh
    CE4 V3 (some 1.8ohm, some 2.4ohm)
    About 10 flavours, all from VapeKing, although I've only enjoyed two. Some I've dumped down the sink (bottles worth more than what they contained IMO!).

Have been mixing my juice at 18% nic, approx. 75:25 (PG:VG) and vaping pretty much the same as I smoked. Going through roughly 2.5mls of juice/day.

My problem:

I understand the concepts of resistance and volts, but not how they relate to vaping. I simply can't find a happy medium between good TH, taste, vapor production, no dry hits, and no foul 'burnt' taste that makes me heave. I've tried the different resistance CE4's and played with voltage on the Twist. I've been enjoying VK5, but it seems every drag is different. Sometimes perfect, sometimes foul burnt taste, sometimes hardly any vapor. The menthol seems more consistent, and I'm surprised I'm enjoying it, as I was never a fan of menthol ciggies. The other flavours (mostly fruit, some tobaccos) made me hurl.

I've tried two different CE4's with the VK5, one at 1.8ohm and one at 2.4ohm.

I do have some more flavours coming from HoL and Indigo + some samples from JH.

What do I need to do to get a consistent vape? Is there a 'correct' resistance and voltage combo? What am I doing wrong?

Have I supplied enough info for a diagnosis?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

AVF Regular
    Try your twist on the lowest setting,
    then gradually increase it.

I vape at 3.2V
    rushn likes this.

AVF Regular
    First of all most mixing requires steeping. Especially the VK5. You probably should not throw it away until you've tasted it after its been steeped as the flavour can really change.

"Steeping is just letting your juice sit from 2 weeks to a couple of months, you just let the juice sit in the bottles in a cool dark place. What steeping does in a very short description is it brings all the flavors out of the juice. It's almost like ageing a good wine. Some juices need it for sure others are still good without steeping. I'm sure others will chime in with more detailed info on steeping but all in all it's a good idea especially on the juices you don't like right off the bat, sometimes time sitting really turns them into a completely different juice. "

Here's a chart to reference for what voltage to set it at certain resistance levels. While certain devices may state their resistance, sometimes they can be way off (especially vivi novas).

Another issue could be wicking. With the CE's, you need to make sure the wicks are fully saturated. Sometimes this requires tilting when the juice is getting low.

One more thing, a lot of these devices can be very inconsistent. Unfortunately there is nothing straight foward about vaping.
    gtadmin, Fatman, kay67kay and 2 others like this.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

Quote Originally Posted by rushn View Post

Have been mixing my juice at 18% nic, approx. 75:25 (PG:VG) and vaping pretty much the same as I smoked. Going through roughly 2.5mls of juice/day.
    Do you mean you have been vaping at 18mg? And what juice did you buy? Just curious but it is sounding a bit more like a juice and taste issue rather than anything else.

FWIW, I wouldn't be tossing any juices out at this stage, even if they taste like ass. Sometimes they will change over time, sometimes your taste will change, and sometimes you can mix them with other flavours to make completely different flavours.

If I threw out everything that tasted like crap when I first started I wouldn't have had much left to vape with. It does take a while to tweak everything, but I think first off you have to find a few flavours you like and stick with them while you get used to vaping in general.
    rushn likes this.

AVF Regular
    some people find they need to try a few different delivery systems to find out what works best for their vaping style. for me, it's vapeonly bottom coil clearos and tanks with cartos. some people prefer dripping attys and some people prefer top coil clearos. it's such a subjective thing, and you probably won't know what you really like until you try a couple of different systems. I still love the little ce3 comets, but their size puts me off with how often I need to fill them. I never did find a top coil device I really liked.
    rushn likes this.

I have never had much luck with CE4's .. they always seem to run too dry for my taste, I did not persevere for long though as I also get a plastic taste off them which most do not seem to notice but bothers me.

There are techniques to use with vaping and a lot to learn early days, things like just knowing what it should taste like when working well, once the burnt taste is there its probably going to always have a taint of it. some juices are worse than others .. are you using concentrate or doublers ?

like flea says, start low and work up, not in one or two puffs though, you need to use it for 10 or 20 minutes and then turn up a small amount and continue till you start getting an off taste .. then back it off some.

you will need to maybe tilt every couple of puffs to make sure the wick is damp, wet is not ideal .. if its too wet then you will get gurgling and low vapour, then you may need to turn it up just for a few puffs till it starts to vape well then back it off again.

lots to learn, practice makes perfect and you will go through a lot more cartos in the early days than you will later as you learn.

people who use the CE4 will have further insights and tell me if I have anything wrong.

good old boge cartos are probably one of the easier things to start with.
    rushn likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Thanks everyone for the replies. Everything mentioned makes sense.

To answer a few questions:

I have been vaping at 18% nic (I'm attempting to emulate my old smoking routine, so a high nic concentrate was recommended to me in another AVF thread).

I had the voltage set mostly at 4V, but varied to 3.2V on occasions when it tasted crud.

Using VapeKing doublers currently. I can only stomach the VK5 and a (diluted by two thirds) menthol mix. The others I purchased make me want to hurl (apple, orange, lemon, vanilla, double apple shishka, tobacco classique, smooth tabacco).

I do now think it's a wicking problem mostly (thanks Sign Me Up & Stoney for the tips). Tilting the device every few toots seems to not produce the burnt taste, particularly when below about 1/4 full. I have dialled back to 3.2V (thanks Flea).

I might investigate a different delivery system. What is a non-wicking solution that is recommended? I don't want anything too huge, as I want my kit to be as portable as possible. I might order an eRoll as from what I can gather this is a tank-based system.

Thanks again.

Cheers

everything has wicks.
    the heaters are small and can only heat a small volume of juice enough to vapourise it.
    the trick is finding what you prefer at the wattage you like.
    some cope with higher wattages than others, some with darker juices, some hold more than others, things like genesis attys or RBA's (rebuildable attys) have a much larger top chamber and that seems to increase the throat hit a great deal without upping the nic.
    I am currently using an A8 (A8 Aeight discussion)

still on only the second heater I ever wound for it, working well and still clean after a month.
    rushn likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Cartos dont need to be tilted. They're my vape of choice as i dont have to worry about them once filled up. No tilting no swirling etc. They're not as simple to fill up but once you have filled them properly you can stick em in a tank (if you want) and forget about them.
    rushn likes this.

$3642 Spent on Vaping