Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Neewbie Question on Batteries for MODS

AVF Regular

Neewbie Question on Batteries for MODS

Hey AvF'ers
    I have searched and read all I can on the Battery side of things here on AVF, I think i'v got a semi-decent handle on it all, Looking at the Nitecore i2 charger and protected batteries for a Mech-MOD (correct?). My question is What brands/make of Batteries do the wise crew of AVF use? and I know that SuperSport600** is the place to go for Batteries, but incase he doesn't have what i am after (at the time of purchase), anywhere else that AVF'ers could recommend?

*If there is already a thread on this subject, please direct me to it also Mods if this is in the section or could be merged with another tread please move it to the right area.
    Yes I did go to certain website that has some nice bright and shinny MECH-MODS at cheap prices with "free-bloody long time to get here" Shipping*

Many thanks inadvance
    Dishy
    Last edited by TheDishD; 15-07-13 at 02:22 PM. Reason: ** Thanks for the correction Milkman :)

Stopped Smoking On the 4/7/13..Guess when i started Vaping

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman_ View Post
    supersports600
    OOOPS, thanks MM, Fixed

AVF Regular
    First up, familiarise yourself with batteries, particularly if you're going straight to a mech mod: Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

The question of whether to go protected or unprotected in a mech will generally stir up a debate. I won't tell you what to do here, but I will say that I'm comfortable using high-drain AW IMRs and Panasonic CGR18650CH batteries without protection.

Get a multimeter. Helps in understanding what a drained battery feels like, testing batteries fresh out of the charger, and building coils if you're going to get into that.

Don't trust any battery that has the word FIRE in its name.

As far where to buy them, SS600 is your first stop. If you don't have any luck there, a few of the local vendors will generally have a good stock of AW IMRs.
    gtadmin, Fatman, lheamfrg and 3 others like this.
    ಠ_ಠ

AVF Regular
    Wise words indeed, been into flash lights for a few years so i have basic understanding on batteries and yep Multi-meter ready and awaiting, I'll prob go with protected to start with (clone mech mod plus Newbie equals..fun times). SS600 would always be my first port of call (great rep in the flashlight world) again thanks for the post lads

Oh and MilkMan, all good mate, I did type the 600 bit wrong, dont want to look like a total nub

AVF Regular
    i would recommend IMR batteries for mech mods particully if i wanna get into low ohm rebuildables
    ultravape likes this.
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann...12_default.png
    So far only about $1200 spent on vapeing

AVF Regular
    ^agreed

This is where it gets hard to advise on what batteries to use.

High-drain IMRs or Panny hybrid cells are highly advisable from a performance perspective, and a total necessity if building low/sub ohm coils, but they still need to be handled with some care as with any other unprotected cell. Protected cells on the other hand will generally get a right beating from a low ohm set up as they're not designed to handle the high discharge. You'll find voltages drop off quickly and battery life will fade. Just note that while flashlights and mech mods use the same sized batteries, the performance requirements for each differ markedly.
    TheDishD likes this.
    ಠ_ಠ

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Just a note on unprotected batts in mech mods, it is generally ok to use them but if the batt starts to warm up, stop vaping & let it cool down.
    If it isn't cooling down & continues to get warmer, throw the mod outside & wait for the explosion!

Ok it likely won't explode but it may get to the point where it vents & may catch fire, a metal mech mod should survive this but will need a good cleaning after it. The batt will be toast though.
    luntingsir, Olfella and TheDishD like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

I have a rule of thumb of my own in my little time here...

ProVari - Red AW IMR
    Mech Mod - Protected Blazar battery from SS600, if they are flat then I use an IMR with a 2 cent lite fuse on the top.

I pull them out and check the voltage in a ProVari every once in a while to make sure I am not over draining them but you can tell from the drop in performance after a while.

Anything else like a Smoktech Gripper or a ZMAX V3 gets a crap blue battery in it. They always kindly let me know when they need to be replaced.
    lheamfrg and Olfella like this.

fasttech reputable place to get them too?

AVF Regular
    another tidbit, always use a battery case for carrying extras. eg don't toss your spare into the car ashtray that still has a few coins in it, then toss in your mech mod on top of :/ (it completes the circuit)
    Olfella, Juzm and TheDishD like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast