• 1 Post By TheDishD
  • 1 Post By bethydy
  • 1 Post By gtadmin
  • 4 Post By supersports600
  • 1 Post By Emmeline

Thread: Clearo resistances

AVF Regular

Clearo resistances

This is a bit of a noob question, but I have noticed that there are different resistances on offer for clearos. My question is what differences does this make? Does it change the taste? I am feeling a touch confused!

AVF Regular
    From one newbie to another, this is what i understand it to be, Lower resistance "heads" or coils need less power to fire them to a high temperature, Higher resistance coils need high amount of power (Volts/Watts) to fire to a high temperature.
    So Lower resistance coils are good for Mech Mods and non adjustable volt ego batteries, High resistance coils are good for Variable Volt devices, like Twists, spinners, Vamo's, Provari's etc. As you can run the higher res coils at higher Volts/watts. Most find that running at a higher power/temperature gives more flavour/Vapour and Throat Hit.
    Lower resistance coils in Mech MODS and eGo style batteries allow the user to get the same effect as a High resistance coil, without the need for High Volts/Watts.

Please correct me if I am wrong peoples.
    Last edited by TheDishD; 18-07-13 at 10:01 PM.
    JenJ, Samtron, Emmeline and 1 others like this.

Stopped Smoking On the 4/7/13..Guess when i started Vaping

And correct me if I am wrong too, you can use the Low resistance in your ego twists but you would not run it much higher than 3.8v?? Actually I believe you can run low resistance in any VV at low voltage but it drains your battery quicker?
    Samtron and TheDishD like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bethydy View Post
    And correct me if I am wrong too, you can use the Low resistance in your ego twists but you would not run it much higher than 3.8v?? Actually I believe you can run low resistance in any VV at low voltage but it drains your battery quicker?
    Sorry i should have said that, yes you can run either in any type of device, and yes Beth as i understand, a low resistance coil on a VV appears to drain the battery quicker
    bethydy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDishD View Post
    Sorry i should have said that, yes you can run either in any type of device, and yes Beth as i understand, a low resistance coil on a VV appears to drain the battery quicker
    Hehehe, see, we are learning together! :-)
    TheDishD likes this.

AVF Regular
    isn't that interesting. i wonder why it would drain the battery quicker?

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

AVF Regular
    Less resistance, think of a tank of water (Battery full of power) connect a large diameter hose (low resistance coil), the water flows out of the tank much quicker than if you had connected a small diameter hose (high resistance coil).

Again I am new and i could be wrong and if i am i hope someone will correct me.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Samtron View Post
    isn't that interesting. i wonder why it would drain the battery quicker?
    Assuming you use both atomisers at the same voltage, the lower resistance atomiser will drain the battery quicker because it will be drawing more power. Think of it if you will like a car, the more power you use, the quicker you have to fill the petrol tank.
    margyb likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDishD View Post
    From one newbie to another, this is what i understand it to be, Lower resistance "heads" or coils need less power to fire them to a high temperature, Higher resistance coils need high amount of power (Volts/Watts) to fire to a high temperature.
    So Lower resistance coils are good for Mech Mods and non adjustable volt ego batteries, High resistance coils are good for Variable Volt devices, like Twists, spinners, Vamo's, Provari's etc. As you can run the higher res coils at higher Volts/watts. Most find that running at a higher power/temperature gives more flavour/Vapour and Throat Hit.
    Lower resistance coils in Mech MODS and eGo style batteries allow the user to get the same effect as a High resistance coil, without the need for High Volts/Watts.

Please correct me if I am wrong peoples.
    The power (watts) will give them temp you want. (to a point, eg Stoney's analogy of trying to heat up train tracks etc. , we'll ignore the finer details to keep it simple)

So watts = vape where too little is boring and too much burns the juice, the right watts (power) is what we aim for.

In a regulated VV mod, we adjust the voltage up and down to get the power we want. This depends on the resistance. Higher resistance needs more volts. In a mech mod, we adjust the resistance to get the power we want, ie volts cannot be adjusted. In a vw mod that works properly, we adjust the power we want to get the power we want.

so we are spinning a wheel connected to a generator with water from a hose to get the right amount of power to light a light bulb with the right mount of light. Water hose diameter and length= resistance, pressure = potential difference (volts), flow = amps. Long hose gives more pressure drop, reduces flow etc.

I was going to leave it at that but I'll blurt out a bit more for fun.

Plug it all in and we have to tweak it to apply the right force area to the wheel to spin it at the right RPM to produce the right power. Smaller hose has more resistance and gives less flow so it has to use higher pressure etc. to get the force / increase flow / volume of water delivered. If we are limited on the hose / generator side of what we can do, then we can tweak the wheel or even the load (lightbulb side) or both sides to get the parameters we want. Or you could look at it like we can spin a small wheel with a pressure washer or a large wheel in a river to get the same power out of it to run a suitable generator, net result on light output is still power dependent.
    I haven't explained it well, too tired and now confusing myself
    Have a play in your head with what I have said and see if you can paint a picture.
    Last edited by supersports600; 19-07-13 at 02:16 AM.
    margyb, lheamfrg, Emmeline and 1 others like this.
    Shop at Supersports600 eBay Store for all your Battery and Nicotine testing needs

AVF Regular
    Thanks for all the replies. It has made it a bit clearer.
    margyb likes this.