• 1 Post By Miss Anthrope
  • 1 Post By Meeuwsy
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By Noe
  • 1 Post By fabricator4

Thread: shelf life

shelf life

does anyone know what the shelf life of pg and vg is. I read that vg has a shorter life and to possibly freeze it. I was thinking of dabbling in making my own juices and buying a fairly large amount of nico, bu no point in doing that if it goes off. Also I thought if the gov wants to put a stop to us importing anything with nico, I would like to stockpile a lifetime supply, lol.
    alegria likes this.

I've read around that PG and PG based nicotine lasts about 1.5-2 years and VG at 1. What you could PROBABLY do is mix in about 5% unflavoured vodka to your VG, what this does is thin your juice a bit if you vape 50%+ VG and the vodka also kills off bacteria so might make your VG last as long as your PG and nicotine.

Yes, you can also freeze your supply. Say you buy.. 1.5litres of nicotine and like 5 litres of PG and VG take out like 50-100ml of each to have some ready to go, then leave the others in the freezer. VG, I've heard, will thicken up quite a bit so the vodka will help keep it manageable.
    Miss Anthrope likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Anthrope View Post
    does anyone know what the shelf life of pg and vg is. I read that vg has a shorter life and to possibly freeze it. I was thinking of dabbling in making my own juices and buying a fairly large amount of nico, bu no point in doing that if it goes off. Also I thought if the gov wants to put a stop to us importing anything with nico, I would like to stockpile a lifetime supply, lol.
    For mixtures with a high percentage of VG, shelf life is normally given as 14-24 months. eg Glycerin, Vegetable USP - 1 Gallon

However...

This is for compound designed for topical use etc, not vaping. I suspect we will be finding a faster degradation as it relates to vaping, and I'm concerned about some VG reacting with the nicotine at the moment.

PG is a more stable compound when it comes to nicotine concentrates and I'd highly recommend that you purchase your concentrated nicotine in 100% PG. If you store it in glass bottles in the freezer in 100% PG you can expect to get very many years of cold storage without any significant change. I buy it in 300ml bottles at 7.5% and put it in 50ml glass bottles when I get it and store them in a plastic freezer container, in the freezer. As I need more nicotine, I take one bottle out of the freezer the day before to let it come up to room temperature, then dilute it to a working concentration (usually 36.5% 70/30 PG/VG)
    Last edited by fabricator4; 28-07-13 at 08:19 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

good advice, thank you. It would be interesting to know how long it lasts frozen.

AVF Regular
    good advice, thank you. It would be interesting to know how long it lasts frozen.
    Dow gives the shelf life of PG USP as 2 years at below the rather warm temperature of 40C (104F) Safe Handling & Use

I haven't been able to find any data for concentrated nicotine in PG at sub-zero temperatures, but due to chemical reactions being much slower at lower temperatures it seems like a safe bet that we can extend the usable life by quite a bit. Twice the shelf life seems like an underestimate. Maybe in 10 or so years we will have more of an idea, but I wouldn't be too surprised if I could pull some PG nic out of the freezer in 10 years time and use it.
    Noe and Miss Anthrope like this.

haha, 10 years would be great, it had me thinking though, what I would do with it if I moved interstate?

I'm sick of cold Melb winters, I wanna move north,

Does anyone know if you can freeze, thaw and re freeze nic?

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megan View Post
    Does anyone know if you can freeze, thaw and re freeze nic?
    Yes, it is not food & is not going to make you ill if you do so.

PG is an antimicrobial, meaning it kills germs etc. nicotine is also highly toxic to less complex lifeforms, I imagine this extends to most germs as well.
    When you freeze thaw & refreeze food, there is a particular type of bacteria that thrives from that process, which is what causes you to get ill.
    fabricator4 and Philmac like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    haha, 10 years would be great, it had me thinking though, what I would do with it if I moved interstate?
    I've just moved 1000km north. I brought the nic with me, all the little bottles in their plastic freezer box, and it's now back the freezer.