Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Some Help Please - I'm Struggling.

  1. #1
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    43

    Some Help Please - I'm Struggling.

    Hi guys,

    I got my setup late last year and had a half hearted attempt at vaping, but put it aside after a short stint.

    A couple of months ago, my daughter (22 yo.) was diagnosed with a blood clot in her brain, and spent several days in the hospital stroke unit (she is not a smoker). At the same time, I got a really bad chest/head cold/flu. Feeling like absolute crap physically, mentally and emotionally, and sitting beside my daughter's bedside looking at much older stroke victims who were unable to care for themselves, I finally chucked the ciggies away. Well, almost.... I lasted 8 days.
    I'm doing the sneaky smokes on the side and vaping at work and home, also on the sly.

    Iíve really got to get off the cigs, full stop! I started vaping 12mg nic with vanilla flavour but wasnít really getting the kick I need, so upped the nic to 18mg PG. What Iím finding is the extra PG is too strong for my throat and there is not enough flavour. I tried 18mg PG butterscotch ejuice, and whilst the flavour was good, the throat hit is too strong.

    Can someone please suggest/recommend what I need to purchase to try the following:-

    24mg and also 18mg nic with a soft (er) throat hit and good butterscotch flavour.

    I think all the ejuices that I currently have are all 18mg PG, as is my unflavoured nic which is 36mg PG. I have a bottle of no nic VG which I have used to reduce the nic from 36mg to 18, but Iím losing too much flavour.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,877
    Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Hi guys,

    I got my setup late last year and had a half hearted attempt at vaping, but put it aside after a short stint.

    A couple of months ago, my daughter (22 yo.) was diagnosed with a blood clot in her brain, and spent several days in the hospital stroke unit (she is not a smoker). At the same time, I got a really bad chest/head cold/flu. Feeling like absolute crap physically, mentally and emotionally, and sitting beside my daughter's bedside looking at much older stroke victims who were unable to care for themselves, I finally chucked the ciggies away. Well, almost.... I lasted 8 days.
    I'm doing the sneaky smokes on the side and vaping at work and home, also on the sly.

    I’ve really got to get off the cigs, full stop! I started vaping 12mg nic with vanilla flavour but wasn’t really getting the kick I need, so upped the nic to 18mg PG. What I’m finding is the extra PG is too strong for my throat and there is not enough flavour. I tried 18mg PG butterscotch ejuice, and whilst the flavour was good, the throat hit is too strong.

    Can someone please suggest/recommend what I need to purchase to try the following:-

    24mg and also 18mg nic with a soft (er) throat hit and good butterscotch flavour.

    I think all the ejuices that I currently have are all 18mg PG, as is my unflavoured nic which is 36mg PG. I have a bottle of no nic VG which I have used to reduce the nic from 36mg to 18, but I’m losing too much flavour.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    sorry to hear about your daughter, hope she is well now

    if pg's throat hit troubles you a lot, try some ejuices without pg from alien vision or velvet cloud. and what are you using, device wise?
    robd likes this.

  3. #3
    Retired Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NE Tasmania
    Posts
    4,375
    You might be sensitive to the PG. I'd try getting some VG and using that with your nicotine. Also, where did you buy your nicotine. We have just swapped over after a few months of using some really cheap buy awfully harsh nicotine, which made our mouths and throats sore, tasted bad, and left me with an almost constant frog in my throat.. needing to clear my throat frequently throughout the day. That was getting very annoying! Happy ending is that with better nicotine, all those symptoms have disappeared completely. I really only persevered as long as I did because it was so much cheaper than anything else. Kept thinking we'd get used to it. Anyway, first thing's first for you. You need to isolate what is causing those symptoms, and I'd place bets on it either being the nicotine or PG. Nicotine should be close to clear in colour.. sometimes a little yellowish, sometimes with a slight pink tinge, and it should have a mild peppery smell if it's okay. Anything else, I'd be suspicious that it could be causing you trouble. PG and VG should be clear and odourless. Good luck!! I hope your daughter is fully recovered too. That must have been terrifying for your family to go through.
    robd and Samtron like this.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    N.T.
    Posts
    2,255
    Taste is really subjective, your apples are someone else's oranges. Is the butterscotch a flavour you can go on all day or the taste doesn't do it for you? My current DIY is a vanilla custard that uses a mix of vanilla custard and French vanilla etc. I have a link saved that posted here by someone else which has some recipes that you could try.

    Also from all accounts the higher the nic and higher the pg the harsher the throat hit so keep trying the vg ang upping your flavour % to get the taste you are after
    robd and Samtron like this.

  5. #5
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by silverx View Post
    sorry to hear about your daughter, hope she is well now

    if pg's throat hit troubles you a lot, try some ejuices without pg from alien vision or velvet cloud. and what are you using, device wise?
    Thanks. I'll have a look. I have the Ego-C (there's a long and a short one). I got the starter kit from Vapebar.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    You might be sensitive to the PG. I'd try getting some VG and using that with your nicotine. Also, where did you buy your nicotine. We have just swapped over after a few months of using some really cheap buy awfully harsh nicotine, which made our mouths and throats sore, tasted bad, and left me with an almost constant frog in my throat.. needing to clear my throat frequently throughout the day. That was getting very annoying! Happy ending is that with better nicotine, all those symptoms have disappeared completely. I really only persevered as long as I did because it was so much cheaper than anything else. Kept thinking we'd get used to it. Anyway, first thing's first for you. You need to isolate what is causing those symptoms, and I'd place bets on it either being the nicotine or PG. Nicotine should be close to clear in colour.. sometimes a little yellowish, sometimes with a slight pink tinge, and it should have a mild peppery smell if it's okay. Anything else, I'd be suspicious that it could be causing you trouble. PG and VG should be clear and odourless. Good luck!! I hope your daughter is fully recovered too. That must have been terrifying for your family to go through.
    I bought the nic and juices/flavours from Health Cabin. Has there been any problems with their stuff?

    Thank you for your concerns regarding my daughter. Another MRI today which hopefully will bring us some good news.

  6. #6
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by lheamfrg View Post
    Taste is really subjective, your apples are someone else's oranges. Is the butterscotch a flavour you can go on all day or the taste doesn't do it for you? My current DIY is a vanilla custard that uses a mix of vanilla custard and French vanilla etc. I have a link saved that posted here by someone else which has some recipes that you could try.

    Also from all accounts the higher the nic and higher the pg the harsher the throat hit so keep trying the vg ang upping your flavour % to get the taste you are after
    My 36mg PG is too low in the nic content to increase the VG and flavour so would you suggest getting the highest VG content in say 36mg nic and working it down or maybe 50/50 pg/vg?

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    N.T.
    Posts
    2,255
    I've only purchased from HC, usually a 50/50 36mg mix and had no problems so far.

    Couple of recipe page links

    AAE-C MEMBERS ELIQUID RECIPE COLLECTION | ALL ABOUT E-CIGARETTES UK
    Capella E-Liquid Recipes

    Wish you and your daughter the best of health too.
    robd and Samtron like this.

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    N.T.
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    My 36mg PG is too low in the nic content to increase the VG and flavour so would you suggest getting the highest VG content in say 36mg nic and working it down or maybe 50/50 pg/vg?
    Order some higher vg nic, to reduce the pg content. HC can do up to 100% vg, so maybe start there and mix with flavouring and pg (every flavour I've seen is also mixed with pg) to work out your preferred level

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    926
    really hope things go well with your family.

    please keep persevering with the vaping. one day you'll hit the right blend and never look back. i've struggled as many others have at times till i got my tanks right, let alone my mixes right.

    try ordering some nic premixed in juices from overseas till you get your mixes right. i've heard nicoticket make decent juices, some people like mt baker vapour too.

    i think you're using too much pg. i'd go for a blend of 80%pg 20%vg, and if you're finding that too harsh go to 70%pg 30%vg (which is a common standard) some people even smoke a 50/50 blend of each. Make small 5ml batches to test before making big 30ml batches which will last a week.

    also vg mutes flavours, pg carries flavours and provides more throat hit.

    use a calculator like DIY E-Liquid (E-Juice) Mixing Station! to get your blends right.

    You've done the right thing asking questions as the people here are wonderful and helpful. you WILL get this right. and Cigs will never ever compare when you do.

    god bless you and your family mate.
    Last edited by Samtron; 29-07-13 at 03:14 PM.
    robd, lheamfrg, bethydy and 1 others like this.



    I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bunbury, WA
    Posts
    5,951
    it's hard when you have 36mg/ml pg nic to get a higher vg content in your mix without, as you have found, seriously diluting your flavour. i'd suggest maybe getting hold of some flavour concentrates. depending on which ones you get, they are mixed at anywhere from 2% up to about 20%. if you got a concentrate that is mixed at 2%, that, plus 50% of your pg nic plus a balance of 48% vg would give you a much lower pg content. that might help a lot with the throat problems. I would not know a good butterscotch concentrate to recommend, tho.
    robd likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 08:18 PM.