Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: SOOO...Mech Mods...What's the big deal?

AVF Regular

SOOO...Mech Mods...What's the big deal?

heaps of experienced people are into mech mods so there must be something to them...i just haven't had a good explanation of why yet.

what's the go with the batteries? don't they drop in performance pretty quick? how do you deal with a drop in performance? is it simply a matter of swapping out batteries regularly? whats the difference between protected and unprotected? and doesn't the non-regulated part mean that when they sorta start to die off they aren't any good till charged? Does charging them before they are fully discharged mean you shorten their life?

that's what i like bout the VV. you can keep using them till they're flat as i understand it. the booster chip or whatever keeps the power going longer...but prob ruins the batteries faster, right?

what are fuses in mods? how do they work?

People talk up provari's consistently. Do people like mech mods better than their provari's? Why would you buy anything else if you had one? i.e. why is a mech mod better than a provari?

Sorry for all the questions i just need to wrap my head around mech mods vs vv/vw mods before i run off and buy one. I'd really appreciate any advice in this matter. All opinions welcomed.

(not buying shit till i'm in the BLACK....and watched HEAPS of youtube videos about them...links appreciated)
    Juzm and DEATHGUYJ like this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

AVF Regular
    Good questions Samtron, I am looking forward to hearing what some of the answers are.

There is so much info out there and the most common thread that I have found is it all comes down to personal preference, so being a 'suck it and see' kinda guy I have a mech mod on the way and am going to compare it to the egos & evic to see if there is much difference in them all.
    Given my inherent laziness I think it is going to be pretty hard to top the humble ego.
    DEATHGUYJ and Samtron like this.

AVF Regular
    i dunno either, got to try one for the first time a month or so ago, you always have to hold it the same way every time to press the button, looks like fanboism to me, maybe there's something i don't know

It's the form factor for me. 18650 battery on some of my mech mod is same size as 18350 evic (vw mod)

Battery also last longer than vw mods sure you get performance drop when your battery drop to 3.6 and below (it's time for fresh battery!) But depending on your coil resistance you will get great vape before it reach that point

My coil is usually 1.1 ohm and although evic can fire fine but it cuts out at 2.5amp which means it won't go any higher than its lowest voltage which is 3v where with mech mods I can run 4.2v (usually 4.0ish due to voltage drop)

If you are using carto or clearo with high resistance you don't want to use mech mods you can if you want to but that's where vw or vv is really useful

You don't have to use protected battery but use safe chemistry batteries like imr for mech mods

Hope it helps
    davee and Samtron like this.

AVF Regular
    The simple answer is that it allows you to break through the limitations of digital VV/VW devices.

VV/VW devices generally have an operating range of 3-6V, 5-15W, >=1.3Ω, <=4A. While it is absolutely possible to get a good vape within these parameters, using a mechanical mod allows you to stray outside these "limitations".

For example, a sub 1.3Ω coil will generally have a lower thermal inertia, meaning it heats up more quickly for a faster response time. Going above 15W (which will generally force you above 4A with lower Ω coils) will create more heat. Which, with an associated boost in air flow will create more (and generally warmer) vapour.

Other less tangible benefits, really more a preference thing, are...

The same feeling of using mechanical wristwatches, even though a cheap Casio will be infinitely more accurate. Alternatively the feeling you get driving a manual car instead of an automatic.
    No pulse width modulation, which (arguably) gives a smoother vape.
    Aesthetics.

I'm about halfway through writing up a post on this actual topic, and will add it to my New Vapers Forum thread when it's done.

Shameless self promotion: A simple wattage chart showing the relationship between voltage and resistance
    Last edited by luntingsir; 30-07-13 at 06:19 PM. Reason: mistake no one picked up on
    davee, Juzm, Malikada and 4 others like this.
    ಠ_ಠ

AVF Regular
    I just ordered my first mech mod today.. after buying an Ithaka, and then realising that it's not really feasible to run dual coils on a Provari.
    The low ohm cut-off, and limited amperage just won't get the job done.

I'm looking forward to trying a mechanical mod with low ohm dual coils..
    let's see what the fuss is about.

AVF Regular
    If you are using carto's and clearo's on a standard ego then you will see a minor power boost and extra vapour going from a 3.2 volt regulated ego to the 4.1 to 3.6v unregulated mech mod, but the difference wont be huge, and you could get the same by just moving to lower resistance carto's/clearo's

The real advantage is when you start to use 22mm Genesis or Silica builds as for one thing they fit better on a mod, try sticking an ithaka or kayfun on a ego, and when you use IMR batterries you can get more power out of them. That being said you can get small diameter geniies and 2.1 kayfuns etc for an ego as well.

Many off us also use them because we much prefer the look of them, but your average non vaper would think an ego looks better than a SS torch

It does come down to personal preference and what gear you vape with, how much you are prepared to spend, and what compromise of size versus battery life you are prepared to make, and what you like the look off. No easy right or wrong answer
    Last edited by Mickg33; 30-07-13 at 05:03 PM.
    davee, lheamfrg, Juzm and 2 others like this.
    I have 50% Originals and 50% clones, am too lazy to try to change the world and bored with the whole debate

AVF Regular
    Beening a newish vaper myself, i bit the bullet and got hold of 2 mech MODs, you really can tell the difference when using rebuildable atmo/dripper/ gennie style 'tops' having used a kayfun on a Twist (no mech mod when it arrived) and then on a MOD, the difference is night and day, much more vapour, flavour etc via the mech. To be honest its not till the battery gets down to 3.2v or less that you notice the difference in power, lots less to go wrong with a Mech too. The other thing I am find great is that you can change the size/apperence of the MOD depending on what battery u use, small and discrete in 18350 mode or larger and more comfortable in 18650 mode (YMMV), a twist is a twist you cant change the look that easy. I am using both protected and un-protected batteries in my 2 MODs, no real difference in performace, but nice to know that you can drain the battery to far with protected. I find also i enjoy the fact that its a simple device, and its up to me how its put together, battery wise and RBA wise.
    I still enjoy my Twists/Spinner and soon to arrive SVD/eVic, but i understand the love that Mech MODs get too.
    Juzm, DEATHGUYJ, Samtron and 1 others like this.

Stopped Smoking On the 4/7/13..Guess when i started Vaping

Tried mech mods, sub ohm coils, all the palava.
    I mean they are great at what they do and once you've been vaping a while you do want to see where the boundaries are. Fantastic for tinkering, great for imitating a dragon etc But there are risks and wear and tear on your batteries as you are pushing them hard.
    VV/VW mods are fantastic for a consistent vape from start to finish. Set your favourite voltage or wattage and it will perform the same until the safety cutout on the voltage limit is reached and it's time to change the battery.
    PWM does affect the vape and after going from the Vamo with a 33hz chip to a Provari with a steady voltage output the difference is night and day. It's great to finally see other mods offering this with both the DNA20 and Nivel chip both offering this smoothness.
    So for me it's regulated devices ( but good ones )
    Well at least Vaping has stopped my god awful wheezing

AVF Regular
    ^absolutely agreed

Having vaped on VV/VM devices for two years I needed something different. Mech mods and rebuildables allow me to futz around with different theories, but I always have a couple of gennys on VV/VW devices handy at all times.
    vreidisgod and Juzm like this.
    ಠ_ಠ

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast