Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Another newbie.

Another newbie.

Hey guys.

Decided to join up since I do love my forums. Ill basically use this thread to ask all my generic newbie questions that I can't seem to figure out on my own. Should save me spamming the rest of the forum with my Q's.

A little background.

I was smoking for about 2 years and loved it. Rolled my own darbs with my one and only tobacco flavor - port royal. I loooove port royal. I quit about 2 months ago when we (my partner and I) found out we were going to have our first child. Her body started rejecting the smoke and she disliked it more and more every day. I quit cold turkey to help her cut down quicker to make sure our bub would be healthy as can be.

Quitting wasn't the hard part. I have had no withdrawal symptoms at all. BUT - I have missed the hand to mouth addiction. I've read about it. I just miss that 'thing to do' when I'm bored or out with mates.

My boss came in one day and she had (what I now know is) a modded pv. It was pretty awesome. She explained the basics to me gave me a hit and I was hooked. It was delicious. Can't remember the flavour but ill be hitting her up again soon haha.

I knew that I would want to get one and it would stop me from going back to rolling darbs and falling back into the cancer-pit.

So anyway after some research I scurried my way through some vendors for a starter kit and found vape kings twistar 1000mah kit. Seemed like a nice kit to start on. So I'm waiting for it to arrive. Although as soon as I payed for it the site said they're out of stock so hopefully I got the last one and don't have to wait.

To start with I got peppermint and royal blend e-juices with the kit. Hopefully I like one of them haha. Don't have much in the way of local tobacco shops that sell ecigs and the like.

Ummm so I guess the only questions I have to start with is - do you NEED to add nicotine to your e-juice? Or am I just reading about people adding it to their DIY mixes..?

Does adding nicotine change the flavor?

Is their a juice that would be similar to port royal?

And I guess that's it. Kthnxbai
    Last edited by ineedfire; 03-08-13 at 01:41 PM.
    DEATHGUYJ likes this.

Super Moderator
    Nothing wrong with vaping 0 nic juice. It's my eventual aim - I keep cutting back on the mg (I'm at 4mg) but I don't think I'll ever actually give up vaping.

I found that nic doesn't change the taste - but the vapour seems "denser" somehow. At least I remember thinking that when I first got my nic, after vaping 0 nic and still smoking when I first started.

Welcome aboard by the way
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

AVF Regular
    My 2 bob's worth.
    Royal blend is a great start, my personal mixer has added and tweaked mine to taste a bit like port royal, yummmm.
    eJuice without nic is nice, but generally not effective in tobacco use reduction while maintaining a happy face.
    Nice start kit, that should work fine forever, or until the 'shiny bug' infects you.

And, as Giruvian says, welcome

Well then mrgruffy I might have to twist your arm to get me that recipe! :P

And I think the shiny bug has already bitten. I've been trying to research as much as I can about mods but there is a lot to take in. I love the pieces that look like a lightsaber base hahaha.

And thanks for chiming in on the nic giruvian. Ill see how I like 0nic and might add some later and see what it's like.
    giruvian likes this.

Hi all,

I'm also new here and been vaping for only 2 months BUT a smoker for 20 years. My personal suggestion is that if you have already QUIT then don't go back to the addiction of Nicotine. Just use 0 NIC e-juice.
    It's usually psychological, the feeling of puffing something and the vapor you produce.

Based on my experience, when I was using a 60PG/40VG with 6mg NIC (Coffee flavor) the taste was good but with 12mg NIC (Coffee flavor) it's a bit different. These are from the same supplier and US made e-juice.
    I also noticed that there is a difference in flavor/vapor between using a Cartomizer VS Clearomizers.

As for your Port Royal I believe that there are Australian e-juice vendors for that.

Remember that I'm also new to this so you are not alone on the journey to vaping.... Hehehehe!!!

Here's a question for you guys.

Is it cheaper to have a big mod with rebuildable parts than keep replacing clearomizers like I will have to do with this starter kit? Or can you clean clearomizers and reuse them.

AVF Regular
    Long term that's a very good question.
    Have three scenarios,
    1. Justfog clearo we bought in a coop, $1.80 for the unit, replacement coils at 80c each, with each coil lasting 5-20 days depending on juice. work out long term expense yourself on those numbers.
    2. $10 RBA from local or China, with $20 of wick and wire from time to time, say every 5 days (with washing and dry burning every 2 days)
    3. $100+ uber atty from somewhere OS, and $7.5 ceramic wicks, with replacement wire every 30 days if care taken.

Go figure, as preferences ebb and flow the costs vary more by change than by finding an approach and sticking with it.
    Clearos can be successfully washed and reused many times generally
    Cartomisers are disposable
    Atty costs are in the initial captial cost and the 'tinkering'
    Ajang likes this.

AVF Regular
    Oh, mention the exact clearo type and someone will point you a thread or equivalent on cleaning methods and options.

Great info there thanks! Will figure out how often I go through clearos once I start vaping I guess. Can do my own calculations then off the info you have provided

And clearo type provided with my starter kit are EGO stardust - low resistance. I need to order some more juices and a lanyard anyway so if it would be smart to order some other spares such as clearos or tips or whatever else please let me know!

I'm sure once I get into it ill know what I need to replace or keep spares as but I like to be prepared.

I'm a newbie like you so all I had are Clearomizers. I have 4 X CE4 Clearomizer and 4 X Wickless Clearomizer.
    I rotate them and I keep one Clearomizer for Darker Juices only like Coffee.

I clean them by washing with tap water first to remove the juice and soak them in unflavored vodka (the cheapest one)
    for 24 hours. I rinse them again and use a hair dryer NO HOT SETTING. I have a black clearomizer and used the hot setting thinking
    is will speed up the drying process but I end up ruining it. The color became clouded and the metal where you screw your mouth piece came off.
    Probably due to the heat, the glue holding it lost it's adhesiveness. Like removing a decal from your car. Hehehe... What a waste but at least
    I learned something. I dry burn the wick a bit and blow dry again and re use.

I can still smell a bit of fruit flavors (cherry lime, pina colada, green apple, berry) after cleaning it but not compared to coffee or darker juice where the smell is still pretty strong.

This is my own way of cleaning. If you search online, there's tons and tons of ways of cleaning it and some of them are even conflicting.

Like:

No tap water use Distilled
    Don't soak in Vodka/Vinegar
    Don't Dry burn the wick
    Etc... Etc...

I believe Its going to be a trial an error on what best works for you.
    I'm also upgrading my stuff and getting those bcc mini/evods where you can change the coil heads.
    Clearomizer with replaceable parts are cheaper in the long run but it still depends on usage and care.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast