Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Melange Intro - First Post

Melange Intro - First Post

Hi All,

This is my first post here so I guess I should introduce myself.

Firstly Melange as my name chosen name. As all will know melange means mixture - I'm certainly mixed up about e-cigs and vaping so it seems like a reasonable choice. Second, melange is the name of the spice which is central to the Dune books and movies. It confers long or even eternal life at the cost of being totally addictive - that too seems to have relevance. And, thirdly, Mel-C was my favourite Spice Girl which sort of connects with point 2, at least to melanges like me.

My chosen Avatar. A simple join of two partial, anti-smoking images downloaded from the internet [after checking copyright for non-commercial applications, of course]. Maybe I should have constructed it with the Burning Money on top and the Smoking Skull below because that would better depict my prioities right now, but I thought it looked better this way and who knows when priorities will change anyway?

I smoked a lot for a long time, tried to cut down several times, eventually got on to nicabete. That might have helped a bit but I don't think so. One day a friend offered me a smoke which I accepted. I took a couple of puffs which I didn't like much, and asked about the brand. Turned out to be an electronic cigarette which we both thought was just a joke thing, sort of like an exploding cigar. Anyway, that started me off with e-cigs. First I found that my favourite tobacconist, a lovely Chinese man and his wife, actually stocked some. They explained - invented in China many years ago, becoming popular nowadays, better for health and cheaper, can use as help for stop smoking. Then they told me they were not allowed to sell ones with nicotine in them but I would be able to get some from oversees.

Anyway, I got a sample kit from them (along with another carton of Bensons - then another, and another, and another). Eventually, I opened the e-cig package, found out about battery charging and how to replace the filter type things which contain the important stuff. What a pain! Almost every time I picked one up it didn't work - maybe I needed to fit a new filter (atomiser, cartridge as I now know) - no luck - flat battery (needs charging, damn it) - better just have another smoke.

One thing I did notice though: even if I just wandered around with a non-working one I was able to reduce my real smoking a little bit. So I didn't give up altogether but started to look around for more info. Basically, forget about health issues, I just can not afford to keep buying so many cigarettes. Previous attempts to cut down by willpower alone have failed sooner or later (usually sooner) and I don't have the taste for cold turkey. Even tried a hypnotist once - complete failure - didn't even get off to sleep.

Eventually I did get some e-cigs with nicotine and I do try to remember to re-charge the battery. Still not very impressed to be honest - not a very realistic taste and not significantly more effective than the zero nicotine ones I started with. I know, now, that there are bigger and better(?) alternatives but people seem to be arguing all the time about just about everything - atomizers, cartomizers, clearomizers, tanks, this mod or that mod, and even more so about a huge variety of flavors (which obviousy is dependent on personal taste), and good/bad suppliers. Obviously, most of this has come from USA forums - just substitute "s" for "z" [pron zee or zed] and add the occasional "u" for flavour, according to taste.

So, I really do NEED some HELP.

My preference is for realistic sized, easy to use, reliable alternatives - not just for appearance sake, although that is certainly a factor, but also for convenience because I move around (and drive around) a fair bit.

Health is important but finance is the driving force for me at present so overall cost including delivery to Australia has to be considered.

Recommendations for proven, honest and reliable vendors, particularly for imported items, will also be valued.

Finally, any pointers to specific threads within the most relevant sub-forums would be good. My brief experiences with USA forums have made me think that finding something really useful is very much a needle in the haystack search as threads seem to stray from the point so quickly, irrelevant sub-threads sprout even faster than weeds in my garden, and I end up so frustrated that I just need to have a smoke to settle down.

My thanks in advance for all the good advice which I look forward to receiving.

AVF Regular
    Go for an ego kit, small form factor, pretty good battery life. There are a number of Aus vendors that have good prices on these, have a look in the vendor forum to get an idea. There are a number of threads in the new vaper forum that contain some good info about starting (don't have links handy ATM)
    jen likes this.

AVF Regular
    Oh, and welcome
    RichoVonBlack likes this.

AVF Regular
    Hmm, sounds like you have a low tolerance for fuss. Vaping might not be for you!

You will need to fart around for while, try a few things, trial and error, till you settle into something workable and suitable for you.

You are gonna get several different suggestions for gear and juice here...you will still have to sift through and make your own mind up. Then you'll buy something and it is likely to be not quite right in some way. And it will go on...that's just the way it goes. Vaping is not smoking.

My suggestion would be manual 510 280mAh batteries with comets. Get some nic from overseas and order a selection of flavour doublers from local vendors. Have several batteries and a few chargers, take 3 fully charged batteries out with you so you aren't caught short. That fulfills your specifications, but it won't be without a learning, fuss-filled period before you get into a routine.

Good luck!

AVF Regular
    Sorry! Double post.

I recommend the ego kit to start comes in various different configs to suit and is reasonably priced.

You can try the following vendors they both give very good postage and service
    Vapeking.com.au
    Vapebar.com.au

Regards
    Philmac

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Welcome Melange.

Read my post here for good, cheap, gear for newbies, all with links of what to buy & optional gear you may want on top of the basics, all from the 1 vendor to cut down on shipping costs:

NEW MEMBERS: Introduce yourself here!!!
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

It's great that you are willing to persist with it even though you weren't impressed with it. One thing people who want to quit smoking for vaping is they are 2 different things. It might look the same could taste the same if you have some crud juices but they are not the same

Vaping is superior than smoking in so many ways but you have to be willing to give it a real go which seems like you are doing it already.

I can't really help with kits recommendation for you but I started with something similar to ego twist and Vivi nova. I have moved on but it was a great journey to the wonderful world of vaping and those 2 items have been a great companion
    Old Dog and jen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Welcome Melange.

Read my post here for good, cheap, gear for newbies, all with links of what to buy & optional gear you may want on top of the basics, all from the 1 vendor to cut down on shipping costs:

NEW MEMBERS: Introduce yourself here!!!
    Thanks so much to all of you guys and especially to you Noe for this particular post. Seems I'll have to get busy now but at least you have given some great leads both for immediate action and follow up as and when ... Already looking forward to the challenge.

[QUOTE=silverx;293450
    Vaping is superior than smoking in so many ways but you have to be willing to give it a real go which seems like you are doing it already. [/QUOTE]

I appreciate all the suggestions for gear and vendors, and, as a result of those, I am going for a 510-T starter kit rom Vapeking. Will worry about eliquids from o/s once I feel comfortable with this choice (luckily, got enough nico juice from a friend for evaluation purposes at least). Well aware that getting a flavour which suits me might be a more difficult or frustrating process but I'm up for that. I even realise that I might find a great juice but then feel the need for a different device - I've read enough to understand that many people set off like that and then it grows into an endless pursuit for perfection. No intention of letting that happen. I don't live for smoking and I don't intend to live for vaping - I have more important priorities as I am sure most of you guys do - hope you do, anyway. Return on investment (time and/or money) is important, not only in business, and the law of diminishing returns also applies - a time may come when I say to myself that enough is enough, settle for the best option you have found or give the game away altogether.

Really do appreciate the welcome and all the advice. But I would not be me if I didn't make one suggestion of my own: TWIMC don't tell a newcomer who you don't know at all "Vaping might not be for you!". It's a statement of the obvious because it applies to absolutely everybody who starts out on something new (for them), and, worse, it sends out negative waves when practical advice and a little encouragement is all that's required.

So, off I go, eyes wide open, waiting patiently for the postie, and looking forward to a smokeless future.

Thanks again to everybody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast