Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Noe's Newbie guide to nicotine juice consumption & strength.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Noe's Newbie guide to nicotine juice consumption & strength.

My "new" method to work out how to advise new vapers on the strength of nic they should use in their juice is to first find out how many cancer sticks they smoked per day.

If you smoked 20-30 per day, regardless of the mg written on the packs, then to keep the cravings at bay, you will probably need to vape :
    4ml - 4.5ml @ 18mg/ml per day
    or
    3ml - 3.5ml @ 24mg/ml per day
    or
    6ml - 7ml @ 12mg/ml per day
    or
    12ml -14ml @ 6mg/ml per day.
    Vaping 12ml of juice per day is not going to leave you much time to have your hands free for other needed tasks, especially if you are using standard delivery devices like clearos.

The way I worked this out is by assuming 1mg of nicotine per smoke is absorbed, which is roughly accurate according to what we know.
    So 20 smokes = 20mg/day of nic that you are used to, 25 = 25mg/day etc.
    Rollies & other types of smoking tobacco are a little harder to quantify this way but this guide still works with rollies if we assume a rollie of medium thickness = 1 tailor made.
    When vaping, we assume 1/3 of the nic in the juice is what we absorb, so at 18mg/ml if we are absorbing 1/3 of the nic that is 6mg/ml absorbed.
    4ml x 6mg = 24mg, almost the same amount as is in 20-25 smokes.

I used to vape at 18mg/ml & was finding I had a PV in my hands/mouth very frequently, I stepped the nic up to 24mg/ml & the amount I was vaping dropped, freeing my hands up for such important tasks as typing to replies on AVF
    Without measuring the exact amounts of juice, when vaping 18mg/ml I was using roughly 5ml per day, I now vape around 3.5ml @ 24mg/ml per day, which seems to fit the pattern of my theory above
    GirlyPantz, margyb, davee and 18 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    How come you didn't write the mg ml in ascending order or descending order? Ruined the whole post. Haha. No good effort Noe, my own personal exp - packet said 8mg, vaped 2ml 12mg for 4 days, went back to analogues, then vaped 0.8-1.2ml 18mg for about 8 months. Only started increasing my vaping in the last 2 which I think is due to dodgy nic!

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthflo View Post
    How come you didn't write the mg ml in ascending order or descending order? Ruined the whole post. Haha. No good effort Noe, my own personal exp - packet said 8mg, vaped 2ml 12mg for 4 days, went back to analogues, then vaped 0.8-1.2ml 18mg for about 8 months. Only started increasing my vaping in the last 2 which I think is due to dodgy nic!
    I posted 18mg/ml above 24mg/ml because that is the most recommended strength, the rest are in descending order

You need to vape more juice, how are the poor USA "juice artisans" going to make a living if we all only vape 1ml of juice per day?

Seriously though, the above is only a guide but IME & from talking with other vapers, I have come to believe that the formula above works.
    I had a nice chat with another member of the forum, last night about her vaping & the struggle she is having giving up smokes completely & with dual use - vaping & smoking.
    I seriously believe that this is because she is vaping low mg/ml juice (6mg/ml) & that her body is still craving nicotine, because the strength in her vape is not providing what her body needs.
    When we give up smoking, it is not just the nicotine that is in the cancer sticks that keeps us hooked, there are other chemical(4000+) that, when combined with nicotine, reinforce the addiction.
    I told this other member to try vaping some higher strength nic for a day, which she said she would do today(@16mg/ml), to see if she still had cravings for a smoke throughout the day, my guess is she will have far fewer, possibly no cancer sticks today

If new vapers vape at a strength of nicotine that prevents them from craving for a smoke, then over time those other chemicals won't have a hold on them.
    At that point(I estimate at least 1month) dropping the nic level in your juice, with the goal to wean yourself off nicotine altogether, is probably safe to try without returning back to smoking.

Disclaimer: I hold no medical qualifications, nor have I conducted research or done proper studies, everything is based on my observations as a vaper for over 2.5 years & many years of smoking previous to that.
    Last edited by Noe; 16-08-13 at 07:46 AM.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

AVF Regular
    I'm just nitpicking, your method sounds good. I always tell my converts to just vape 10mg higher than what they're used to. Sometimes tell them to make an extra lower/higher mix dependent on needs.

Thanks Noe. I'm new to Vaping - on day 4 today with no analogues. Read lots of info from various sources, but your posts on here have been the most helpful

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MelC1979 View Post
    Thanks Noe. I'm new to Vaping - on day 4 today with no analogues. Read lots of info from various sources, but your posts on here have been the most helpful
    That's why I call him 'know' . Welcome Mel

Ill gtfo your thread now

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by MelC1979 View Post
    Welcome to AVF

Gad I can help & if only 1 new vaper reads this thread & it helps them, then it was worth posting
    Essie's Glass DTs

Nice one Noe.

Welcome Mel.

I wish I would have had a guide like this when I started only nearly 2 months ago.

Great work Noe.

Opdee

I really struggled with working out what strength to vape 'cause I have the oral fixation thing happening on top of the nic addiction. Tend to chain vape when working from home or travelling to work (1+ hrs drive away) and then need higher nic level when I'm working onsite as I can't vape at my desk. Made myself feel quite ill a few times when I started vaping (still very much a newb). What I found works for me atm is to just use two devices one with nic and one without.

But really helpful info unfortunately I'm also too lazy to do all the calcs so I just by the nic premixed then do my own non-nic mixes to taste using concentrates.

... lurkin' and a likin' and a learnin'...

Formula works for me. Before I quit I was smoking 6-9 roughly a day. I now smoke 9mg/ML nic for about 2-3 ML a day.
    Using your formula and one third principle that equates to 6-9 analogs!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast