Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Going through the Evod coils ..... What to do ?

AVF Regular

Going through the Evod coils ..... What to do ?

Newbie seeking advice please.
    My set up is the Ego twist with Evod clearomiser heads and 1.8 ohms and also have some 2.5 ohms coils. Set to 3.7 volts. Ejuice is 48mg nic brought down to 16mg in 80/20 juice. I have liked this setup because (it is an entry level setup) it is also very portable and just sits in my shirt top pocket. Have tested the batteries and all is good.

I find that I am going through the coils. Hmmmm.

After a while of furious vaping (getting off the fags) after about 4 or 5 hours things are tapering off and i find that when I replace with a new coil I get plenty of vapor and that satisfied feeling again. This lasts for about the time span i have mentioned. Have noticed that the bottom wick is generally black in colour. However no burnt taste.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the product so the question is ..... Obviously I am a heavy vaper as I work from home. Do I need to look at a different setup? If so what ? Do I have my voltage set wrong ? Do I need a rebuild able coil for the Evod ? If so what would be suggested in regards to what I need.

Tried the pro-tank and it lasted about one hour until it dropped and shattered. Found it too airy anyway. Evod has been the best so far for that throat hit and heaps of vapor (while the coil lasts anyway).

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
    Cheers
    Sodd

T7x
    AVF Regular
    Mine last for days but you can just learn to remake the coil and wick, that's cheap as chips. (are you maybe getting dry hits which is killing your wicks quite quickly?)
    You could look into rebuildable atomizers for more durability aswell
    Do you know de way 👺

If you're looking to build your own coils for the evod I recommend watching this video.
    YouTube
    DEATHGUYJ likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ok this is take two at this post, i wrote up a nice detailed post and the forum went for a dummy spit for 20 mins

I have been able to make my EVOD coils last near to 3 weeks so far and are still going strong..
    Each time i change juice or flavour/vapour drop off or every few days of straigh use, this is what i do, run the atty head under warm running water, till the wicks go white or near enough to white. dry with paper towels, take the air tube off the atty, remove the top wicks so i can see the coiled wick underneath, keep the top wicks you will need to put them back on after. If the coil is black and gunked up, put the atty on a battery (adjust Volts to 3.7-4.0V) pulse fire the battery till the coil is glowing, it will make a fair amount of vapour/smoke till the coil is clean, once the coil had gone from Black and gunked to clean and greyish colour, replace the top wicks and the air tube, re-assemble the EVOD and fill with your juice. Take a few primer toots and have the Volts at a lowish setting for the first 2-3 puffs, once primed set battery to your normal level and enjoy the full flavour and taste .

With this method my evod coils have lasted for over 3 weeks and still produce greeat flavour and vapour.

Stopped Smoking On the 4/7/13..Guess when i started Vaping

AVF Regular
    yeah I rinse my coils under water about once a week and then dry burn them does the job just got have patience and don't rush it
    TheDishD and spud like this.

aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

AVF Regular
    I've just started to rebuild the coil and wick for the Evod (and Protanks).

I knew nothing about doing it until I searched youtube.

It'd deadset easy and highly rewarding knowing you rebuilt it yourself using just wick and wire.

It only takes a couple of minutes to do now.

Agree on rebuilding the evod/protank coils. Although I got tired of doing them so often - I think they go black and gunk up so quickly because there is so little wick involved. And the juice I was using was pretty thick. Once I realised how easy it was to build coils I got into rebuildable drippers, the coils last a lot longer because (I'm guessing) the coil can be made larger, with thicker and more wick.

If you want to continue with the great little evods then perhaps sit down for an evening and churn out a week's supply of coils. It's cheaper than replacements and as kooljp says, very rewarding.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sodd View Post
    Newbie seeking advice please.
    My set up is the Ego twist with Evod clearomiser heads and 1.8 ohms and also have some 2.5 ohms coils. Set to 3.7 volts. Ejuice is 48mg nic brought down to 16mg in 80/20 juice. I have liked this setup because (it is an entry level setup) it is also very portable and just sits in my shirt top pocket. Have tested the batteries and all is good.

I find that I am going through the coils. Hmmmm.
    3.7 volts on a 1.8 ohm coil is pretty toasty on a bottom coil device. I think you are just burning them, that is all. I actually found that I couldn't detect burning at this level until I'd been a non-smoker for about 3 months. Now, I can detect the slightest hint of a coil running too hot well before it actually causes problems.

For a useful range between 5.5 and 6.5 watts you need to be on 3.2 volts to about 3.4 volts. You'll find you'll get about 1 week out of a coil, if you primarily use one Evod for most of the time. If you rotate devices they will last longer, obviously. In juice terms it might be around 30ml or more.

For the 2.5 ohm (odd value!) coils these voltages would be 3.7 to 4.0 volts.

The usual rule of the thumb to use 8 watts doesn't really apply to bottom coil devices, they simply don't need that much heat. You'll find that 5.5 watts is just where the vapour production really starts to kick in and the flavour gets stronger. Some liquids don't do so well at 6.5 watts but it works pretty well for most. The vapour production may not be *quite* what you are getting at the moment, but it's a matter of finding the balance between good vapour and good flavour while not burning the juice.

The type of juice you are using will have an effect too. Really dark heavy liquids will gunk up the coils much faster, so say you're vaping a really thick caramel cappuccino or something you might expect the coils to need cleaning more frequently.

You can indeed dry burn the coils to revive them. What it basically does is turn the gunk into ash. Keep pulsing the coil until you can see all the windings and the black coating is white/gray and stops changing colour. It will also make the wick under the coil white again but on a badly burnt coil the ends of the wick may still be dark and make the juice taste foul. There's not much to do in that case except replace it. I wash the coil again after the dry burn to get rid of the ash, and find this restores them to as new condition. The flavour wicks can be cleaned by torching them with a butane torch until they glow white hot, or you can replace them completely with new silica wick. I find the 4 ply 2.5mm wick to be suitable - the four ply appears to be what is used in most of these heads (you get four little wicks, but it's just the 4 ply 2.5mm undone)

Note that the degree of taste returning varies a LOT with the individual. While I started to notice an improvement within a month, it was three months before I noticed a dramatic improvement. Some people I've spoken to have reported that this dramatic change did not occur for 9 or even 12 months, which seems an extremely long time, and probably isn't the norm. It does indicate how individuals can have completely different experiences though.
    DEATHGUYJ, Caffeind and spud like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Currently I do a session on the weekend of cleaning/dry buring/rebuilding coils for my protanks so I have enough spares for the week and can just swap to a new coil when one starts going pair shaped. I'm slowly mastering my RSST and AGA-T2 'cause I really find this type of maintenance a pain.
    DEATHGUYJ likes this.

... lurkin' and a likin' and a learnin'...

AVF Regular
    Thankyou everyone.
    I'll give some of the suggestions a go today as I have kept all the used coils anyway in the hope of being able to do something with them. Feeling a little bold now after your responses, I'll pull a couple apart and try cleaning as per suggested. After thinking long and hard overnight I reckon I must be sucking the life out of it and maybe not giving the juice long enough to wick back in. Will also turn down the voltage to what was suggested.

By the way, I watched that YouTube video and that guy has a real wicked setup. Wouldn't mind one of them !
    Thanks again everyone.
    Cheers
    Sodd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast