Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Newbie with equipment on the way

Newbie with equipment on the way

Hello everyone.

I'm an aspiring ex-smoker (currently on 10 to 15 a day) & have just ordered a bunch of vaping stuff.
    I'm impatient and ordered all this stuff with minimal research--I probably should have taken more time & asked you guys for advice.
    Oh well, it's done now and I'm open to critiques of my choices! Items ordered are below.
    I'm sure that once all my stuff arrives I'll be here with many questions. I'm a bit worried about fiddliness, (eg. I've read that I might have to remove one of the wicks from the protank mini depending on my PG/VG mix), as I'm "mechanically challenged", ie. not a handyman at all, & also have shaky hands (benign essential tremor).

I'm pretty excited. Keen to kick the cigs without losing the smoking ritual. If you've got any advice, or links I should check out, let me know.
    Thanks for reading

Hardware (from Steam-e-cigs):
    Kangertech Mini Protank x2
    Joyetech Ego Twist Black 1000mAh
    Joyetech Ego Twist Black 650mAh
    Joyetech Ego charger
    AC-USB Adapter

Vermillion River Samples:
    SPS Six Pack Sampler
    Nicotine Level: 10 Mg/Ml Nicotine
    Flavor 1: Kentucky Premium Blend
    Flavor 2: Kentucky Applewood
    Flavor 3: Kentucky Maplewood
    Flavor 4: Kentucky Cherrywood
    Flavor 5: Kentucky Blend No 7
    Flavor 6: Kentucky Vanilla Blend

Samples from Smoke Rainbow:
    6 plastic pipettes 1ml, graduated, color coded
    Alfaliquid, Moscow-Urban - sample 1ml
    eCig Hellas, Pine Havana - sample 1ml
    Mt Baker Vapor Pack
    T-Juice Pack 17 samples
    Vermillion River, Classic Blend - sample 1ml

Stuff I still need to get:
    Nicotine liquid
    Doublers (once I know what kind of flavours I like)
    DIY equipment (not sure about what I need)

AVF Regular
    The kit look s OK and will turn up in a few days, however the nicotine e-liquid may take longer depending on how you did freight. If you want to get a few bottles of flavoured liquid from NZ they are usually here in three days (That's my experience with Aussie Blue) and you will be able to get started.

eg Electronic Cigarettes Australia & NZ Pty Ltd - Aussie BlueŽ Nicotine E-Liquids for Ecigs - The Best E cig E-Liquid
    and Buy Tobacco Free Electronic Cigarettes in New Zealand - e cigs NZ |

You can also concentrated nicotine from NZ and China.
    eg Healthcabin Electronic Cigarettes - Wholesale and Retail
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Welcome to AVF.
    Firstly, you will find that everyone here is happy to answer and question, silly or not. So just fire away.
    YouTube is also a very handy tool for new vapers, almost everything is a tutorial for what we need to do.
    With the protank, I never removed any wick and you should be fine just using them the way they are for the time being.
    I would get some replacement coils for your tanks. They come with 2 in each pack, but I would get another 5 pack from somewhere. Get a resistance of 2.2ohm.

You'll need some empty bottles 30ml.
    Some syringes. I find 5ml ones best.
    Some blunt syringe needles.
    Then obviously some nic and doublers.
    I'm sure I forgot plenty but people will chime in.

Any questions, just ask.

Mick
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Welcome to AVF.

For a list of what you will want to get started with, all from one vendor, see my post here: NEW MEMBERS: Introduce yourself here!!!
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Thanks for the replies!

fabricator4, cheers for the advice, I bought a couple of flavours from the store you linked (cherry cigar & caramel cappucino) so hopefully they'll arrive soon after my hardware so I can get started ASAP.

ssstahly & Noe, my next purchase will be for DIY stuff to save on money. Thanks for the recommendations, very helpful. Thus far I've splurged a bit on premixed but that's purely to get off the cigs as soon as I can.

Fingers crossed that early next week I'll be able to report on my first experience with vaping!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by smellsource View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

fabricator4, cheers for the advice, I bought a couple of flavours from the store you linked (cherry cigar & caramel cappucino) so hopefully they'll arrive soon after my hardware so I can get started ASAP.

ssstahly & Noe, my next purchase will be for DIY stuff to save on money. Thanks for the recommendations, very helpful. Thus far I've splurged a bit on premixed but that's purely to get off the cigs as soon as I can.

Fingers crossed that early next week I'll be able to report on my first experience with vaping!
    The Cherry Cigar is pretty heavy on the cherry, but fairly pleasant. The caramel cappuccino is OK too, but it's a fairly dark and heavy liquid. This will tend to take more of toll on the coil and wick and require maintenance more often. I usually just swap the head out and when I have few gunked up heads I wash and dry burn them in batches.

The best power to use on the protank will be about 6.5 watts, so if know how to work it out you be able to figure out the correct voltage. Apart from that the best idea is to start of at minimum volts and nudge it up until you get a good vape. The caramel cappuccino might be better off with a little less heat, so maybe 5.5 watts will be enough. It might extend the life of the coil a bit. If you need more help than this start a new thread and ask when you get all your gear.

If you order from Aussie Blue again and want a more classic tobacco flavour then I can recommend the Banker's Rollie. It's a strong flavour that I found quite uesful when I started. Reminded me of Bank in the packet, no small achievement.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Slippery slope

Hi aussie vapers, thought I'd write a brief update on my vaping experiences thus far. Actually I'll just focus on the hardware and leave juice for a separate post.

I put out my last cig at 7:15pm Friday 30th August

Due to Aus Post shenanigans my protank minis took ages to arrive, so in the meantime I bought a couple of evods with 2.2 ohm and 1.8 ohm heads (I wanted to try both). First vape session was fantastic, reducing my urge for cigs to an easily ignored niggle rather than full-on compulsion. The second day cig cravings were stronger, but they were situational. Eg. after a coffee, after a long drive. Chain-vaping got me through. Since then cravings have diminished to point that I might spend about 5 milliseconds a week with a cigarette urge. In fact, early on I cleared what are for me the biggest hurdles for cigarette abstinence: a drinking session or indulgence in a certain floral product. Actually the vaping was much more enjoyable than smoking ever was under those conditions.

I settled on 3.4V @ 1.8 ohms (6.4W), and 3.8V @ 2.2ohm (6.6W), so basically close to what fabricator4 recommended above. Any higher and I started to get a burnt taste. Is it generally the case that different resistance coils at the same power pretty much produce equivalent vapour? Cos it was equivalent for me whichever head I used.

Anyway, things were going well with the evods and then I received my protank minis. Initially the taste was horribly metallic, but a thorough wash got rid of most of that and I adjusted to the remaining slight metallic taste. After using the minis for a while, the evods tasted unpleasantly of plastic. To the point that I no longer enjoyed using them. Oh well, at least my minis were satisfying me... that is, until I bought a 1.5 ohm 306 atomizer & delrin drip tip from Vapeking to test a bunch of juice samples I ordered. Holy smoke, warmer vapour, *much* more flavoursome vapour! I'd heard dripping could be better but I didn't expect it to be so much better. Now vapour from my protanks seems cold airy and muted. I find it hard to go back to them, I've even been dripping occasionally at work. I almost wish I'd never bought the thing. Dripping is a pain in the arse but the results are so much more satisfying. I'm not sure what to do now... I need something more convenient than a dripping atomizer but with the same taste. Not sure I'm ready for rebuildables, so I might try a tank/carto combination & see how that works out for me. I'm looking into the new AGR plus and the VKS slotted cartomizers.

So that's where I am at the moment. I think this could get expensive... but the $225 saved on cigs has covered my costs so far.
    fabricator4, SUCKITIN and bikam0wz like this.

AVF Regular
    Congrats on giving up the fags even if you spent every cent on vaping that you did on ciggies your still better off no money saved but a healthier lifestyle

AVF Regular
    In the long run rebuildable is much better. You can start with dual coil tank which will save your time from constant dripping. The rebuildable actually gives you a lot of accomplishment. You actually build it yourself. It is easy to do and there are tons of youtube videos available. Only make sure you test your coil before firing. If you have a ohm checker or just something like SVD/MVP or something similar to check it.

Just my suggestion though. Carto tank (with replacement atomiser) isn't so bad either.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

CCC
    I tried dripping saw what all the hoohaa was about, yeah awesome flavour and vapour but pain in the ass for me, went back to clearos and got used to it again. Maybe just drip on special occasions and use other gear for out and about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast