Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: newbie

hi all, i'm relatively new to vaping. tried it a bit for maybe about 6 weeks since i got the first unit.
    i'm 56 yrs old and been smoking since i was 8 yrs old. so 48 years a smoker and a heavy smoker at that. a few years ago i started collecting cigarette lighters as a hobby. that branched out into general smoking paraphernalia. so recently i decided to buy an e-cig for my collection and tried it. i liked it instantly but it was a skinny drip thing so it wasn't about to replace smokes for me. i love the ejuices though. so i looked into it more and a couple of weeks ago got my first clearomizer in the mail. i have learned heaps from this forum. already knew about importing nicotine etc so i got a nice stock of some juices and nic.
    the clearomizer i totally fell in love with and noticed with the nic mix there was no craving for a smoke at all. went from 50 a day to 14 a day overnight and the next couple of days all i had was a regular smoke at breakfast time.
    but now i have been smoke free for 2 weeks and it's going so well i really can't believe it. i can't wait to see my doctor's face when i tell her next time i go there lol.
    one good friend of mine is actually very critical of it all, as that friend is actually my ex as well lol. but that opinion is that i am still as good as smoking. sometimes i do feel that i am still smoking asi don't miss regualr cigarettes at all and still go through the motions with vaping you could say. so i am trying to convince myself i am somehow a non smoker now.
    for about the last 3 years of smoking i was actually smoking chop chop and not commercial cigarettes or tobacco. i am thinking that might have made it easier for me to switch as chop chop doesn't have a lot of the chemicals regular smokes have. it seems my only addiction is nicotine. vaping completely satisfies that and i sure hope it continues to be legal to import it although i am in the process of stocking up.
    thank you all for the fantastic advice and information you share on this forum. it is a huge help to the newbies like me.
    Noe, Old Dog, Sign me up and 14 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by androaussie View Post

one good friend of mine is actually very critical of it all, as that friend is actually my ex as well lol. but that opinion is that i am still as good as smoking. sometimes i do feel that i am still smoking asi don't miss regualr cigarettes at all and still go through the motions with vaping you could say. so i am trying to convince myself i am somehow a non smoker now.
    Well done. You are a non-smoker now. And yes, it does sometimes feel like you are cheating almost, but after a while when you start feeling better and healthier then you should get over that.

Smokers really piss me off when they put shit on us for "cheating" and "not really giving up" I too had an ex that would put shit on me for this. While he was happily puffing away on his rollies, and coughing up lungs left, right and centre.

But he saw I hadn't had a smoke since September, and it got the better of him, and now he is vaping too.

Because the bottom line is we are no longer smoking. End of story. We are healthier, wealthier and happier for it and in the end that is all that matters.

Keep up the good work androaussie.
    Noe, jen, Samtron and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    welcome and congrats on a successful conversion from smoking to vaping I know what you mean about feeling like it's cheating and wondering if you can really claim to be a non-smoker. it wasn't until I got to 3 or 4 months smoke free that I started to relax and enjoy the fact that I wasn't smoking any more and that vaping really was a viable alternative. before that it seemed almost too good to be true and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. it's been 6 months for me now and I'm still going strong. I definitely count myself as a non-smoker.
    jen, Samtron and androaussie like this.

AVF Regular
    Well done on the changeover.

Like you I was a chronic long term smoker (almost 40 years and upto 50 a day in the end). It is almost spooky how vaping can satisfy all the triggers for smoking. For me the puff and vapor blow was as important as my brain knowing I was still getting nicotine. I only vape at 8mg and that is enough. Like Kay I felt like I was cheating the system and kept waiting for the withdrawal to kick in. All I know is that the day I got my nicotine was the last day I lit a cigarette. Next month will be 2 years and I couldn't be happier to have broken the very expensive habit that was smoking. After 12 months you are able to honestly write non smoker on health forms although I do tell docs I am vaping.

Hubby was the same but he felt he had to test the system at about three months. Never again he went green, coughed and spluttered and needed to have a Bex and a lie down. The smell on his clothes from just that one ciggie seemed to take a couple of washes to get rid of. We are so indoctrinated on the difficulty of quitting that it is hard to believe you can just switch to vaping. Don't worry about what other people are thinking (smokers or non smokers) you know you have done a great thing.
    Noe, jen, tally-ho and 4 others like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    First, welcome to AVF

If inhaling steam is smoking, then yes you are a smoker but then so is everyone , including kids, that take hot showers.
    I don't see anyone saying someone that uses patches or gum or who uses snuff or snus is a smoker.
    Smoking involves hot ashes, vaping has no hot ashes to it (except briefly with a dry burn to clean your coil) & combustion, vaping has no combustion.

Welcome to the non-smoking side of the community
    tally-ho, TheDishD and spud like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

yep i know in my heart i'm not smoking, just hard to get my head around with the actions of vaping. i am using about 16mg nicotine for now and not going to try to lower that at all for now until i am happy the urge to pic up a smoke is gone more. there are times i feel that urge and then realise i had been busy and not vaped as much. i find i vape a lot in the mornings like i am filling up a tank in me and then it is a lot less during the day after that. i enjoy it as much as smoking, probably more for many reasons. my ex has always been a non smoker. the smokers i know think it is great and react like they fully consider it not smoking at all. a couple of the smoking friends seem very keen to try it themselves. i did find it good to be a member here before i gave up the cigarettes for vaping and was able to get some info into my head first about it all.
    my sense of smell improved within a day or two. my taste has been a bit messed up generally but at least now i no longer have bad tastes at all. i do find i want to use tobacco based flavours at this stage and think i will for a while.
    thanks for the replies and thanks for this wonderful forum. i learn something new here everyday!
    TheDishD, spud and ShootingStar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    First, welcome to AVF

If inhaling steam is smoking, then yes you are a smoker but then so is everyone , including kids, that take hot showers.
    I don't see anyone saying someone that uses patches or gum or who uses snuff or snus is a smoker.
    Smoking involves hot ashes, vaping has no hot ashes to it (except briefly with a dry burn to clean your coil) & combustion, vaping has no combustion.

Welcome to the non-smoking side of the community
    i totally agree with that description. everything seems cleaner especially my camper van it isn't smoking, it seems to be a whole different category. it seems all i have needed to do is keep getting nicotine to make the changeover so simple. and it really has been simple. i had no plans to stop smoking. my doc will be amazed as i loved smoking and have told her a few times she can carry me out in a box before i stop smoking lol.
    spud likes this.

Good work mate!

My misses still thinks of it as smoking, which apparently I didn't do when we started dating O_o. She is getting more and more used to it as there is no after smell and I even smoke in the lounge room with no death stare (vape in the bed room and I'm dead apparently!).

Don't worry about people thinking its the same as smoking, it's definitely not and you will notice all the health benefits to confirm that for yourself!

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pueronline View Post
    Good work mate!

My misses still thinks of it as smoking, which apparently I didn't do when we started dating O_o. She is getting more and more used to it as there is no after smell and I even smoke in the lounge room with no death stare (vape in the bed room and I'm dead apparently!).

Don't worry about people thinking its the same as smoking, it's definitely not and you will notice all the health benefits to confirm that for yourself!
    Tell your missus, that I said, she smokes in the shower, if your vaping is smoking, which makes her just as much of a smoker as you are

Andro,
    You may find 24mg/ml more suited to you & helps you cut down on chain vaping in the mornings, while reducing the urges to pick up a smoke during the day more too.
    androaussie likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Tell your missus, that I said, she smokes in the shower, if your vaping is smoking, which makes her just as much of a smoker as you are
    You have obviously never tried to win an argument with my misses! Facts are no always the best plan of attack. In fact some times facts are irrelevant!

I look like I'm smoking FULL STOP no amount if facts can help this disagreement!

She is coming around. Even likes the smell of my me Fancee Juice LimeBerry
    Noe and androaussie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast