Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: How important is nicotine for new vapers?

AVF Regular

How important is nicotine for new vapers?

My own experience of nicotine dependence might be influencing my thinking on this so I want to provoke some discussion and put it out there as information for new vapers.

I notice there are a few new vapers who plunge into vaping thinking they don't need to have nicotine in their juice. Maybe this does work for some people (it would never have worked for me!), but what do other people think?

I want as many people to give up burning tobacco as possible, so I worry that experimenting with vaping 0mg juices will send new people back to cigarettes with a mistaken belief that vaping doesn't work as a quitting aid.

But I don't want to come across as a nicotine pusher either!
    Last edited by JenJ; 08-09-13 at 01:03 PM. Reason: grammar
    Noe, Samtron, DanGibson and 3 others like this.

In my experience very important,I wouldnt have been able to give up the rollies without nic,even now after 6weeks it has still been hard at times,especially waiting for orders from overseas and then waiting for nic from overseas and even then the learning curve of DIY and waiting for the first batches to steep and then getting some of them wrong ect, have all been a trialling experience,all the while tempted by the half packet of white-ox sitting on the bench.If we could buy decent juices(with nic) in this country it would have been a hell of a lot easier and i probably wouldnt be trying to DIY at this stage.
    Noe, Olfella, Samtron and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks necro, there sure are lots of challenges for new vapers to overcome. Vaping no nicotine while trying to get it all sorted would never have worked for me either.

Many of us smokers have been conditioned to think that 'quitting' is painful (because quitting nicotine is), and there is often this attitude that there should be an element of self deprivation.

My start in vaping wasn't like that at all. I took it up as a novelty, my friend had one and I thought it was fun, but I never expected to quit smoking because I'd resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't going to happen for me. So I happily smoked cigarettes whenever I felt like one with no guilt or self flagellation at all. It was totally painless, and a complete accident that I stopped smoking in a very short amount of time.

So I get quite anxious when I read new vapers on here with expectations of how hard it will be, or how 'determined' they are to get over the stinkies...when my experience is that it doesn't have to be hard at all! -Unless you go without nicotine that is, then it must be very hard, in fact almost as hard as cold turkey. So what would be the point?
    Last edited by JenJ; 08-09-13 at 01:06 PM.

AVF Regular
    I don't regret vaping no nic for the first half-year at all. If it wasn't for a stupid decision to just have a cig for Xmas last year, I reckon I'd still be vaping no nic. The most distinct advantage of this was how yummy flavours were right from the get-go. That said, I prefer flavours that aren't tobacco, so steeping wasn't an issue, so I'd just mix Aussie doublers with plain glycerins.

However, I don't really regret having 'treated' myself that fateful day, either. It means that I'm back off (and still off) the ciggies for the longest time since I was eleven years old. Six whole months with nic.
    Last edited by essiemessy; 08-09-13 at 01:37 PM.
    Noe, Crisscross and spud like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    The nicotine is vital for a new vaper. If you really want to get off nic, worry about that once all the chemicals and crap are out of your system.
    Noe, JenJ, Samtron and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I was hoping you would chime in essie! I remember you had vaped without nic for a long time and that is partly why I feel bad encouraging new vapers to use nic juice. But I honestly don't know how you did that! It would never have worked for me because it would have felt like deprivation, having to resist the need for a cigarette all the time, and I have a very low tolerance for self deprivation, lol!

Do you plan on going back to 0mg nic?
    essiemessy likes this.

AVF Regular
    I am on 6mg now, a few months ago I tried 0mg but the throat hit was not there! I went straight back to 6mg thinking that I might lose interest in vaping and wasting all my effort!
    Noe, Gresh11 and spud like this.
    I refuse to subsidize an economy that largely benefits the Chinese Commie Party and the so called People's Liberation Army, its relatives and friends. More like an oriental Mafia than a political party.

Karl Rand.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoey View Post
    I am on 6mg now, a few months ago I tried 0mg but the throat hit was not there! I went straight back to 6mg thinking that I might lose interest in vaping and wasting all my effort!
    I did something similar, went from 12mg down to 6mg and vaping started to become quite frustrating. Couldn't get no satisfaction!

Once I went back up to 12mg everything went back to normal. I'm really reluctant now to rush into reducing my nic, and that experience taught me how important nicotine is to me for staying with vaping over going back to the cigarettes.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    I started no nic for the first few days but needed a few cigs to go with that otherwise I couldn't have done it,once I got my 18mg juice I got more than enough nic to stop any cravings for a ciggi so have no need to touch them again,I now have 3 different strengths of liquid but 18 is the highest which I have at work to get me through as don't Vape much and 9 and 12 for home,To make the change from stinkies to vaping easy nic I believe is a must.cheers
    Noe, JenJ and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    This is a great thread for discussion.

For hubby and I we were so sure that after smoking so much for so long we needed nicotine that I didn't even consider vaping no nic as the answer to our quit campaign. I alternated vaping and smoking while my nic was in transit and quit smoking the moment I mixed up the Eliquid. I only mixed at 8mg because that was the strength of nic in my smokes (so I believed). I just went from there not realising that I was getting so much less nic.

In hindsight I suppose physically I could have done it but there was no way I could have coped without the mental reassurance of nicotine. I just believed in every fibre that I was addicted to nicotine.
    Noe, Toddosh and spud like this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast