Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: First time vaper experience 1 week +

First time vaper experience 1 week +

A summary of my experiences so far, its 14 pages in a word doc, here's the highlights:

Background

Had motivation to quit, little package on the way. Health fanatic as youngster, soccer, track, cross country, until I got injured and found beer and girls. Got into smoking late, but over the last while pretty consistent (not heavy), but enough to get hooked. Rollies.

On holidays overseas, determined to ignore the need to quit till I got back. Sorta knew ecigs existed, but got off a flight and was jones'n for a cig, couldn't find anyone with a lighter, but saw some dude smoking, cool I thought - but alas it was e-cig he didn't have a light. Didn't chat to him long but it got me thinking, did some looking on the net. Found a shop that stocks them, had an hour long chat with the guy running a shop. He gave me some tips and the run down on all the movement. Didn't buy but then set my mind to find out more.

Got home, found these and the US forums, read lots. At one point thought the forums were like 95% vendors talking up their wares but see now that there are indeed some good really helpful ordinary folks.

Faffed around on the forums for a few days, but then was so confused, was reading this, and that, and wait, what? Oh my, head was spinning. Acronym soup.

Hit up some websites on where to buy stuff, the website reviews all seem like 99.9% fake reviews, hmm, what dodgy world have I gotten myself into. Most of the websites themselves seem shonky really…..…I could write html code that would be better than half of those websites. Seems a dark underground world out there. Would I dare use my cc or ebay on those sites?

Seems some of the posters live the vape lifestyle - super over tech modders with syringes and rebuilding gear, which is fine, just not my impression of where I'll be - using it to quit, or at minimum severely cut down.

I did note that most successful posts seem to be a few pages of "yay, pat on the back", cool, but found one post about falling off vape back to analogues - it was over 1000 pages of similar stories - hmm will this really work? Do people just give up and never write a forum post about that? Are the forums self selecting for success by default... Hmm...

It seems not many vendors have all the hardware, I keep having to say does this thing fit that thing, not on this site, but that site has it, but damn they don’t have that thing, another site…bah…

Juices also seem like a jungle to enter - seems a few poncy juice tasters out there….. “a cool butternut finished with almond start, a mid palette wash of orange and coconut delight, and a slight cherry pomegranate flush aftertaste making a well rounded airy delightful drop” haha ponces. Geesh. I just need something that works.

So after faffing around for days on end, I was like screw this, found noe’s good starter post, and with a slight modification of it just bit the bullet. You either jump in, or you can get lost in all the discussion. Got a HC Ego C starter kit (and way too much juice – 23x10ml, maybe stick with 2-3 flavours and a couple of nic levels if you are starting), and some stardust clearos from VB (I'm in Perth so it seemed like an option to try it and maybe be able to speak with someone). 2 business days for VB gear, weird experience, like going into a nightclub for the first time, just felt weird, but at least they were friendly and gave me some advice. Too bad I don't have batts and juice yet!

Reading more on the forums, it was making me smoke more analogues with all the reading....

Day minus 1 (because I had stinkies due to false start)

Gear arrived (HC 5 business days), pulled it all out, filled it up, watched youtube to ensure it was all juiced up and not going to dry burn, was curious about the draw so underdid it, was tenative, did a mouth draw first then tried to inhale just a wee tiny bit, immediately felt like coughing (very dry feeling), but given I was so tentative I only just felt like coughing. Seemed way to rough – thoughts of ok, easy at first, is the nic too strong? Is it just dekang juice? Is it just because its starter attys? After a few tries kinda got it worked out, but wasn’t able to inhale it….after my cough sensation settled down a wee bit, I could eventually draw it into my mouth, let it cool (if that’s what really happens), then inhale partially – did some exhale through nose etc. Kinda got it, but didn’t want to go overboard so took a break. Mouth throat felt a wee bit dryish and coated, drinking water.

Tried the clearos (stardust v3), after a few kicks, the clearo seems pretty darn good, not a huge amount of extra flavour per se, but seems to be a bit smoother. A few puffs later, oh yea man, goodness. Vaped a few more times, overall pretty darn good, but realised when I finished, I was plowing through the juice quicker, still thinking I’m too high on the nic levels at 18mg, so need to take it easy. Yes, feel a bit nic overloaded, but not sure if it’s a healthy paranoia or whether its nic. 20 mins later, yes feel way over nicotined…..kinda lightheaded and weird. Another 10 minutes, and I feel like I’m flying.

I was somewhat still ‘wound up’ on going to bed, seems like I didn’t sleep overly well, and unfortunately was up a bit late (self iflicted). Had a real sense of ‘falling’ on drifting off to sleep, you know how you twitch sometimes, it was a twich with a ‘falling’ sense, and then a wake up, then finally drifted off. No biggie but of note.

Had to pull the pin, posted about how to quickly cut down on nic – going for speed over quality at this point, once I figure out other variables, then I can concentrate on finding good flavour. Had analogues that night, and the following morning. Someone posted “don’t make vaping a high pressure thing, like it normally is when you quit, you are getting used to it and changing the way you smoke, just relax and let it happen in its own time”. Felt better.

Day zero (I call this day 0 as I had a stinky in the morning before I got the VG)

Someone replied to just get pure VG from the chemist and a syringe to mix it up. I think the shop assistant thought I was an addict but it was rather interesting telling her VG wasn’t for cooking, it was for e-cigs, she was looking at me like, yea sure, don’t ask, just sell.

So mixed up VG half and half with one of the juices, tried that, less flavour but seems ok, bit gluggy but workable. You definitely have to shake up the mix good or it separates and you get all flavour and all VG.

The clearos are still seeming too harsh to inhale but a darn sight better for vape/flavour. Mostly leaning to fruit flavours at this point.

Feel less panic-ish about the whole thing, still feeling like a cig, so maybe 9mg-ish – my unscientific measurement is slightly too low, maybe I can just tweek it a bit, or go some 9ish and some 18ish. With syringe in hand, felt like a pro (clearly not haha). I can even see the attraction of mixing your own juices – to which part of me thought I’d never do. Anyways, feeling a bit better about it all, and will see – aiming for no analogues today but we’ll see, no pressure.

Powered through most of the night swapping clearo atty, throat upper chest feels very dry. Funny that vapour being liquid, but I guess its the humectant as so many people say. Throat feels ok with a few tic tacs, but kinda hawking up clear instead of hawking up brown. Almost just like a kinda small knot in the throat, but it wouldn’t be highly unusual just on the smokes. Interesting to see how this goes in the next few days, no analogues since this morning.

Day 1 (first full day no stinkies)

Felt extremely dry mouth and throat/upper respo tract on waking up. Forgot to drink water before first vape….just feeling super dried out, first vape was ok, took it easy.

Decidin to do some reading about the dryness, and might stock up on supplies – throat lozenges, biotene gel (for drymouth) Biotene mouthwash may help as well. Some lemon to drip in my water – (the sour apparently helps you produce more saliva), sour drops, maybe even some saline nasal spray, and keep face moisterised (and lips especially).

Anyways needed a morning coffee and after I fixed it, I kinda cupped my hands over it and just breathed it in, kinda like the thought of putting your head over a steaming bowl of lemon water and putting a towel over your head and just breathing in and out. Kinda felt a wee bit better. Had a hot shower, and that seemed to help as well. Need to get a sauna installed!

Nothing of note in the evening, except if feels more natural now, seems like I’m getting closer to be able to handle 18mg.

Day 2

Again a rather dry throat waking up, but I suspect I was similar with smoking anyways.

Pretty much standard going, starting to think the 9mg nic isn’t quite strong enough, although I suspect that’s partly a flavour thing given its half watered down, so popped a few 18mgs in there. I pretty much am rotating about 5 tanks (3 atty style, and 2 clearo style).

Continued....
    The medicated state of mind you find is overrated

You saw it all come down, now it’s time to imitate it

Day 3

Felt extremely dry mouth and throat/upper respo tract on waking up. Ding dong forgot to drink water before first vape (again)….

Went to shops, bit overboard with mouth gels, biotene mouthwash, sour lollies, nasal spray and moisturisers (in hindsight they don’t seem so critical, but I’ll use this lot up and see how it goes weaning off them).

I’m sure it’s too early but I’m thinking I already can smell things more. I smelled someone smoking analogues somewhere, didn’t faze me much and I suspect it won’t even faze me going forward. Maybe it’ll just be my secret snicker to myself that I’ve swapped over, no need to get all high falootin around others.

Can already tolerate inhaling cleros nicely. Still on occasion with my unscientific juice nic levels, seems I get an overload on occasion – I’m thinking to mirror the natural body cycle a bit, strong nic morning, easier afternoon, light at night.

Day 4

Again a rather dry throat waking up, but I suspect I was similar with smoking anyways.

Had a soccer game in the afternoon. Pretty much felt the same as usual, no major changes in ability to run and get winded etc….time will tell. A

Just alternating between various starter attys and the clearos with diff ohm and diff nic mg levels.

Something in me just felt like I needed more after soccer, maybe my whole body was depleted per se, but I was jones’n, I had a smoking chili hot dinner to get some bite, but it nearly wasn’t enough. Dropped some 18mg nic and just called it a night. In the first week, this was the only point I felt like I needed something ‘more’ but the 18 probs just hit it right.

Day 5

The early morning shot was a bit coughy, felt a wee bit moreso this morning than others. Swapping various attys and clearos.

Got a provari and tank setup going now, man what a hit….very nice…

I wonder how quickly one can adapt to a higher nic mg value, verses cutting down. I seem to be vaping more 18mg now without nic overload problems (although having said that, zinging a bit with all the new shinies testing tonight – oh yea as the night wears on, feeling it a bit too much, have dropped to 9mg but flavour not so good, bah), but given the ultimate goal is to cut down, wonder if it’s harder to cut down than go up. How quickly does the body adapt up, versus adapt down?

Overall coughiness has declined significantly in what 3-4 days, with the provari it pushes out more thicker so a few times overdid it and felt kinda coughy, but amazingly adapted quickly overall, don’t feel the need to go overboard with all the lollies and nasal spray etc…

Lips feeling a bit dry tonight, not sure if its vaping, or just nic overload. Just went a bit overboard tonight I think, lots of shinies….and nice tastes….yum…

Gross factor comment, have far less nose nuggets since vaping. Nuff said.

Of note, the egos are rather smooth and slippery, I could easily see dropping one with slippery juice flying all over the place, but provari has a bit of texture to keep it from sliding out of the hands…

Last comment for the night is just how easily I’ve stopped the analogues; only after soccer did I kinda feel the need for something else, just upped nic mg, and all good.

Day 6

The early morning shot was a bit dry coughy again, started with low nic.

Observations – fingers aren’t yellow anymore (from rollies). Over the last six months to a year, I’ve noticed my eyes were often gluggy and always seemed to have sleep in them, even liquid-ish sleep during the day which would often obscure my vision a bit until I blinked 20 times and rubbed my eyes dozens of times. In my right eye, I often felt like I had an eyelash in the lower part closer to the nose. Don’t feel ANY of that since vaping. Notice they are a wee bit dry this morning but not like gluggy and sleepy like before.

Seems to be a wee bit less chest constriction, but no real signs of analogue recovery yet.

Found a flavour that tasted worse than dog poo, cappucino, maybe it needed to steep, but honestly with how much juice I got, that one went straight down the drain. At least I have an empty bottle to mix up various nic levels with now.

Just happened to see my doc today and was cautious, obviously no long term studies have been done, but his theory seems to be that no one can synthetically produce nicotene, so all the producers are technically big tobacco, and he feels that big tobacco are controlling the industry already, even though in the shadows.

He essentially said you need to get off nicotene altogether because you don’t know that they aren’t putting 4000 chemicals to support e-juice addiction in there. In terms of addiction, he’s seen heroin and amphetamene addicts that kick those far easier than anyone he’s seen (including himself) kick analogues. He said that even 20 years after he quit smoking, the occasional need for a cigarette still pulls him in strong, he pointed to his head and how powerful the mind is in wanting analogues. Fight that never ends, once addicted, always addicted, just don’t allow yourself to slip. If you get to six months, it becomes significantly easier, but doesn’t mean success, just one slip up and you’re gone.

I also think I’ve kinda perfected my system of tank and flavour rotation on both the provari and the ego.

Day 7

The early morning shot was a bit dry coughy again, started with low nic. Groundhog day.

Of note, the beer after practice, I could actually taste beer, not just beer-ish fog…and I notice the beer I had last night tasted different as well but didn’t put it down to anything last night….maybe the taste buds are returning. I also noticed tonight at practice, I could actually smell exhaust from cars (not just one smoky car, but lots of times) driving on the road next to the ground. I’ve always thought we’re getting more chemicals from car exhaust than any smoking – and smelled it strong even when smoking but tonight it was almost a choking smell at times.

Not much else to say.

Conclusions:

So that wraps up a full week plus a few false start days, overall it seems pretty seamless going from one to the other, sorta coughy in morning, no major sore throat or any other side effects, but also no real sense of recovery chest, tastebuds etc…

The startup process is fairly intimidating with all the terms and all the setups, but once you get the kit it’s fairly easy to work out any issues with a bit of research and experimentation.

I've set up a spread sheet to rate my juices, and look forward to trying more without down cutting flavour, and I've set up another spread sheet to track expenses versus stinkies, so far I'm losing but can quickly see that I'll win in the long run as now its just juice and coil replacements, and maybe the occasional battery or tank.

Overall 1 week plus is definitely a success, I'm absolutely amazed. I hope to keep you posted with an update in a few weeks.
    margyb, Crisscross, jen and 5 others like this.

T7x
    AVF Regular
    I'm surprised you got a provari and several atties before you had managed to kick stinkies o.o
    Do you know de way 👺

AVF Regular
    MP. What a great write up. Make sure you keep this to remind yourself in a few months of what it was like to start.
    Keeping up the good work and make sure you drink fluids. (Beer is technically a fluid haha)
    mrsgruffy and T7x like this.

T7x yea, just figured I was in the for long haul and upgraded earlier than most would have. I was fairly comfortable going hard core early with hardware - did I say I did a LOT of reading? (Winks). For me, was worth it.

I still use the starter kit in rotation or for trying new flavours, and now have enough equipment to ensure I've got a backup, and now have a home kit in the provari and a travel kit in the ego.
    tally-ho, T7x and spud like this.

Here a link for the dry throat issue that might help - Vaping Dehydration Dilemma - What Can You Do?

He essentially said you need to get off nicotene altogether because you don’t know that they aren’t putting 4000 chemicals to support e-juice addiction in there.
    Can't say I like the sound of your Doctor much. There is plenty of research into what ejuice contains. You don't think the researchers would not have noticed those 4000 plus chemicals if they had been present?

Your doctor is just making stuff up according to his/her speculation. If a doctor said that to me, I would be inclined to say - well, I would expect that from a layperson, but from a doctor who has the capacity to research it is rather unforgivable to be just making stuff up on the run.
    spud and Cumulonimbus like this.

Thanks pgscott, funny enough just tonight I started writing my week 2 journal and just wrote how the dry throat thing is mostly gone. The morning thing might be because I have been known to snore, but hoping better breathing will come and the inclination to mouth breathe and snore is less, thus less dry overnight.

I think my doctor is on the back foot, as are probably most and yes, he was probably speculating because he hasn't studied the research yet. He was gently urging caution - but did encourage me to use it as a tool to quit (as one would expect from a doctor), rather than a replacement. Reasonable enough advice not being up to speed.

As my intention is to quit, ima try this approved or not cause its working, for me, so far....all signs are positive.

Retired Account
    If you were going to buy the tobacco company's cigalike with their pre-filled disposable cartos, there's a possibility that they could start adding things to the liquid to make it more addictive, like it is when you get your nicotine through combustible cigarettes.
    But, nicotine, as a chemical derived generally from the tobacco plant, but from other vegetables too potentially, is used not just by the tobacco companies. There's big pharma who use it in their NRT, and it's also a well recognised pesticide, and is an acceptable pesticide for organic vegetable farming.
    spud likes this.

mrsgruffy, I think your signature says it all.......hehe....

Pesticide, geesh, no wonder there's no flies this spring (winks).

Imagine the other 10 million chemicals we ingest every day from 'big industry'.....the one that really gets me though is the automatic bug spray thing mounted on the wall that just goes off all the time whether anyone is home or not. Guess we should live in a bubble. The media loves the fear game, Run for the hills! Ok that's the solution talking not the waterised molecules of something......
    spud likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast