Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Taking Responsibility for Making the Switch to Vaping

Question Taking Responsibility for Making the Switch to Vaping

I have a bit of an issue and would love some input from other vapers. I have a couple of people, (close ones), that have told me they want to quit smoking and take up vaping, and of course I am encouraging them in this decision. The problem is that they seem to expect that I will be the one to do all the leg work for them, for example supply them with starter kits, and nic juice, do all the research, and that they just have to sit back.

I'm in a quandary as to how to approach this, do I just give them the information and leave it to them to do the research and buy their own gear? Or do I buy the gear for them, (I can manage a basic starter kit, but don't want to end up supplying them forever), even if they are giving me money to cover the cost, its still a lot of work to be ordering for a number of people, and as they are all computer literate, when do I expect them to start doing this themselves ?).

I don't want to be selfish, and I really want my friends and family to be healthier by switching to vaping because I love and care about them, but sometimes I feel as though I'm being taken advantage of.

Where do we draw the line between helping people, and doing all the work for them?

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this from others who may have the same issue. : )
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    I try to make it really clear to people that its not as easy as picking up a pack of smokes from the shop, there's a lot more to it.
    I would buy there first kit to get them off the ground and then leave it on there hands with the proper information and only a few websites so they dont get confused. They can always contact you for questions, but not to do all the work.
    I have my mum vaping now and I didn't give her much of an option. She's just fills up a pre-mix I have made for her, not lots of different juices.

I know exactly whee your coming from tho, I have a 72 year old family friend wanting to try it.... He's computer illiterate and practically blind. Wish me luck..... And good luck to you!
    margyb, Samtron, DanGibson and 2 others like this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

I help others at only cost price (what it cost me) but then if i know they are starting to take advantage of me doing all the leg work then I charge double and then tell them if you did this on your own it would save you money. they hear the word money and then everything changes.

but hey if they still want to pay double thats fine by me I get new toys
    JenJ, Samtron, porkchop and 2 others like this.
    Don't try to be a great man; just be a man

AVF Regular
    Help them, sit next to them as they make the order, but don't do it all for them. That first order can be the biggest hurdle, if they do it themselves (with assistance) and make all the right accounts (vendors,paypal,etc) then they're setup to do it for themselves the next time. I've also found that because it is a bit more complicated that there's a certain level of commitment in doing their own orders as opposed to someone just handing it to them. If they're at the point where they need to be to really give it a go, they should be able to commit to setting up accounts and ordering. Then they should hopefully give it a genuine go instead of a bit of a play and then giving up the first time your not there to do it all for them.

AVF Regular
    the person i helped get set up is exactly like the people you mentioned, kept moaning about how much she wanted to get vaping after seeing my transistion etc, i got here a starter kit, passed on juice etc and once it was finished all she did was ask for more, not offering to pay and just expecting it would all just be supplied forever. i gave up in the end since i was ordering stuff and never saw anything back, and they still continued smoking
    spud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ssstahly View Post
    I try to make it really clear to people that its not as easy as picking up a pack of smokes from the shop, there's a lot more to it.
    I would buy there first kit to get them off the ground and then leave it on there hands with the proper information and only a few websites so they dont get confused. They can always contact you for questions, but not to do all the work.
    I have my mum vaping now and I didn't give her much of an option. She's just fills up a pre-mix I have made for her, not lots of different juices.

I know exactly whee your coming from tho, I have a 72 year old family friend wanting to try it.... He's computer illiterate and practically blind. Wish me luck..... And good luck to you!
    Thanks Ssstahly, good advice, I have already done the starter kit thing, and the information thing, and I certainly don't mind answering questions, I guess I want them now, (they are computer literate people), to take responsibility and own the decision if they want to continue with vaping. I can't afford to keep supplying them with juice or hardware, but I'm worried that if I don't they will simply go back to smoking. I guess that maybe its me that has to let go, and let them find their own path, and not judge them if they do go back to smoking. Its a hard one, when you love someone and want the best for them.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Or you could tell them if you do it ..will cost $150...if they do it then its about $60...usually works for my slack arse mates...except for the REALLY lazy ones...they are the ones who will usually hit the smokes agaon in a couple of weeks anyway
    spud likes this.

I know how you feel. My borther in law wanted to try so I loaned him some batteries tanks etc and even juice so he could give it a go. He has dicided to keep going with it and has got his own juice but still has my loaner gear. He is still trying to figure out what he wants to buy a couple of months later.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    I know what you mean exactly, you want to get them started but you don't want to become the 'support hotline' for them. I'm afraid *this* is exactly why we need nic juice available in stores here.

I've offered to set friends up with a kit once, but stopped bothering with them when her hubby told me that I could do re-orders for them and these guys are hardly computer illiterate pensioners.

My only advice is to tell 'em that they'll eventually (sooner than later) have to take ownership over it.
    spud and Kama_KaZzie like this.

AVF Regular
    My personal feeling is that if people aren't prepared to do the legwork, then it's probably not going to work for them anyway. Even if you set them up with a starter kit and juice, there's still the recharging of batteries, the refilling of whatever's on top, replacing coils, cleaning up spilt juice, discovering which flavours you like, discovering whether you're a clearo/carto/dripping/rebuilding sort of person.

For me, all that's a hell of a lot easier than rolling ciggies, cleaning tobacco out of keyboards, emptying ashtrays, dashing up to the shops at midnight because I've run out. But for someone who's not committed enough to buy a starter kit, it may seem a *lot* easier to just duck up to the shops and buy a pack of fags.

The day I took my first vape with nic, I knew that this was going to work for me. What if you had a starter kit that you loaned to someone for a week, along with, say, 15 ml of juice and a simple list of web sites for buying their own kit/nic/juice? Make sure they have a paypal account and if they haven't ordered by the end of the week, then take the kit back and pass it on to the next person. Otherwise, they keep the starter kit until their own gear arrives.
    GirlyPantz, Quom, Tokerz81 and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast