Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Series of newb questions

Series of newb questions

Hi, I've got things arriving this week and may have a few questions along the way. Any help would be much appreciated. I have 3 questions at the moment:

I may be getting ahead of myself as I am yet to get unflavoured nic juice but I would like to know more about the mixing calculators. I downloaded one on my phone and it nearly all makes sense:

Nicotene base (yup)
    Target nicotine level (yup)
    Flavouring(s)percent (not sure what this means)

How do you figure out the percent? what is the percent of a doubler? or is a doubler 100% can someone clarify this for me?

second, I'm doing a bit of homework on the RSST re-buildable...[won one from connor83's competition]...I found this instructional video:

Is this the way to do it? I thought i'd just check with you guys and gals as well

third,
    I'm picking up on a lot of talk about ohms. Should I have a multimeter when in possession of a mechanical mod? is this an essential?

sorry to bung three questions at once

thanks in advance
    Last edited by emissary; 30-09-13 at 12:37 AM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emissary View Post
    Hi, I've got things arriving this week and may have a few questions along the way. Any help would be much appreciated. I have 3 questions at the moment:

I may be getting ahead of myself as I am yet to get unflavoured nic juice but I would like to know more about the mixing calculators. I downloaded one on my phone and it nearly all makes sense:

Nicotene base (yup)

How do you figure out the percent? what is the percent of a doubler? or is a doubler 100% can someone clarify this for me?

second, I'm doing a bit of homework on the RSST re-buildable...I found this instructional video:

Is this the way to do it? I thought i'd just check with you guys and gals as well

third,
    I'm picking up on a lot of talk about ohms. Should I have a multimeter when in possession of a mechanical mod? is this an essential?

thanks in advance
    Percentages of flavour you get from a recipe. A double is just, well, double strength nicotine. The easiest thing to do is buy the doubler at the PG/VG ratio you like to vape at, and add the same amount of nicotine base at the ratio you like to vape, but double the nicotine. Doubler + same amount of 36mg/ml unflavour = 18mg/ml e-liquid.

Yes you will need a multimeter to check coils and batteries. You're shooting blind if you don't have one.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 01-10-13 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spulling
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    36mg of nic base, doubler, get a 10ml bottle, 5 ml of base, 5ml of doubler gives you 10ml of 18mg flavored,

OHM Meter 510 Thread -Test Your RBA/Atomizer OHMS On This Meter Reader
    ohm meter - madvapes.com - YouTube
    This one is the better choice, Tod gives a breakdown of a similar one,

Victor VC921 DMM Integrated Personal Handheld Pocket Mini Digital Multimeter | eBay
    Checking resistance and continuity of an atomizer - YouTube

Cheaper but a bit more faffing around,
    necro and emissary like this.
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

AVF Regular

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by emissary View Post

Nicotene base (yup)

second, I'm doing a bit of homework on the RSST re-buildable...I found this instructional video:

third,

thanks in advance
    IMO new vapers should be using something easy to learn to vape on like a clearo, not a rebuildable, which are designed for experienced vapers.
    Get some VK Comets, a pack of 5 for $10 will give you a good reliable vaping device to use & the vapor production is close to what you'd expect from a genny. If you don't know what to expect from your vapor , then how are you going to know if your RSST is performing correctly?
    RichoVonBlack and fabricator4 like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    IMO new vapers should be using something easy to learn to vape on like a clearo, not a rebuildable, which are designed for experienced vapers.
    ..... If you don't know what to expect from your vapor , then how are you going to know if your RSST is performing correctly?
    I'm going to look at all the stickies more closely as I still don't know why I should be checking ohms. Are the ohms going to relate to output of vapour? sorry i'll stop there

You are probably right noe but I have a RSST on its way due to winning the giveaway on Friday. I understand I have a steep learning curve ahead of me and am wary of asking too many dumb questions so as not to frustrate anyone.

I'm probably several dumb questions too late however.
    Samtron likes this.
    "Clicking 'like' on a Facebook page is not activism, even if you COMMENT IN ALL CAPS" -CJ Bowerbird

AVF Regular
    you are jumping in feet first...i did that and it was surprisingly more complicated than i thought...lol

Mixing ratios and flavor options

with regards to flavour concentrates, every brand uses a different strength in ejuice, the above link should give you an idea.

With regards to doublers....they are technically 50% of your mixture, if the calculator doesn't already give you an option for doublers. this calculator Filbert's Vaping Toolkit will give you a choice of doubler, tripler (3x strength, 1/3 of your final product) or concentrates (anywhere from 3%-20% of your mixture). with concentrates and the calculator above you throw in how much you want to try (ALWAYS TRY LOW...you can add more flavour if necessary...after steeping, which means allowing to settle, mix, oxidise, usually 1-2 weeks, and will often change the flavour)

you'd probably be advised to use a regulated vv/vw mod whilst learning about rebuilding your atomisers. AT THE VERY LEAST...as the circuitry in the pcb will generally protect you from short circuits etc...but on the advice of everyone here i got me a multimeter for when i'm rebuilding. AND a regulated mod...and i'm not touching my mech mod until i've got coil building right...but then again i'm a wimp.

DONT BE AFRAID OF ASKING QUESTIONS...better you ask us than stuff up...some of these batteries are way strong. doing the wrong thing with them can be dangerous.
    Last edited by Samtron; 29-09-13 at 11:12 PM.
    RichoVonBlack and emissary like this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Samtron View Post
    that's heaps better than the one on my phone thanks

and i'm not touching my mech mod until i've got coil building right...
    i'll heed your advice for sure
    RichoVonBlack likes this.

RichoVonBlack and mrsgruffy like this.
    "Clicking 'like' on a Facebook page is not activism, even if you COMMENT IN ALL CAPS" -CJ Bowerbird

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast