Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Coxy
  • 1 Post By MrGruffy
  • 1 Post By Coxy
  • 1 Post By Samtron

Thread: So I built some contact coils

So I built some contact coils

read the thread... had to give it a go... and WOW!! how come I waited so long ... 12 wraps 30g wire 5/64 inner diameter some cotton.. about 2.1 ohms .... flavour, TH, plumes everything..
    and I didn't drop the wire reel .. BUT .. I did learn a few extra things along the way..
    1. I need new glasses, its ok I used an illuminated magnifying glass
    2. I need a third hand to hold the magnifying glass,
    3. watch where u point the damn jet lighter,
    4. the tweezers are a heat bank, and it waits until the most inopportune moment to reach your fingers
    5. the magnifying glass offers no depth perception, not a problem 'til u try to thread the cotton through.. damn. (I saw Rip trippers thread cotton thru a mesh wick built on a 20 gauge needle.. like that's ever gonna happen)

Was it worth it? Absolutely.... been recoiling all night just to try different variations.
    Then tried it in the Vivi Nova, worried about silica wicking insufficiently so I increased the inner diameter, (its all about surface area right?)1/8th id, used 9 wraps of 30g and inserted 3 x 2mm silica wicks, had to cut a little out of the head cap to avoid compressing wicks, but it works a treat, no dry hits and running about 2.4 ohms, little bit gurgly though, I think I overdid the trimming. I just have to get some 28g wire..

As soon as the blisters on my fingers heal, I'm gonna build some more

Yippee..... life is good
    gtadmin, MrGruffy, Samtron and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
    read the thread... had to give it a go... and WOW!! how come I waited so long ... 12 wraps 30g wire 5/64 inner diameter some cotton.. about 2.1 ohms .... flavour, TH, plumes everything..
    and I didn't drop the wire reel .. BUT .. I did learn a few extra things along the way..
    1. I need new glasses, its ok I used an illuminated magnifying glass
    2. I need a third hand to hold the magnifying glass,
    3. watch where u point the damn jet lighter,
    4. the tweezers are a heat bank, and it waits until the most inopportune moment to reach your fingers
    5. the magnifying glass offers no depth perception, not a problem 'til u try to thread the cotton through.. damn. (I saw Rip trippers thread cotton thru a mesh wick built on a 20 gauge needle.. like that's ever gonna happen)

Was it worth it? Absolutely.... been recoiling all night just to try different variations.
    Then tried it in the Vivi Nova, worried about silica wicking insufficiently so I increased the inner diameter, (its all about surface area right?)1/8th id, used 9 wraps of 30g and inserted 3 x 2mm silica wicks, had to cut a little out of the head cap to avoid compressing wicks, but it works a treat, no dry hits and running about 2.4 ohms, little bit gurgly though, I think I overdid the trimming. I just have to get some 28g wire..

As soon as the blisters on my fingers heal, I'm gonna build some more

Yippee..... life is good
    Contact coils are so last week, Dragon Thingys are new the black
    Oh, and aren't they awesome when you get it right, nice work!!
    Samtron likes this.

Thanks MrG..... I reside in last week... lol
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    sooooo september 2013 dude...

don't feel out of place...i've got a 1.9ohm coil that i have NO idea about the number of wraps of...

oh oh...and i almost scrapped it cos i had a metallic taste to it till i got the shits and vaped it some anyway...then the ohms settled down to 1.9 and it lost it's metallic taste...i figure it needed further oxidising.

i need some lighted magnifying thingy's for these coils...good idea

thank god my parents made/taught me to sow...i'm the only bloke in my group of mates that knows how...not that i advertise that mind you...came in handy when it came to threading the cotton...

i've no idea why i'd wanna go smaller than i have already...it's ridiculous...i'm happy perfecting where i am as long as there's clouds.

nice one on the build coxy, you know what they say...if there's no pics...it didn't happen!!
    Coxy likes this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

sounds like you guys need stereoscopic magnifiers (for depth perception), like I use for tiny surface mount soldering and inspection. I have a Nikon, but I drool over the Mantis inspection scopes, cant afford to drop a few grand on this at the moment, but its getting pretty high on the list of priorities. just 2-20x magnification, nothing extreme like a microscope, so its not too crazy/jerky. you dont have to spend that much coin of course, but elcheapo optics will damage your eyes, I wouldnt recommend using anything too bad.

Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 09-10-13 at 12:31 AM.