Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Not one for short intros.

Not one for short intros.

I've been lurking for about 12 weeks now and finally decided to register and say g'day.
    Adelaide, Male, 39, 25 years of Winfield Red @ a pack a day or there abouts. I've tried patches, gum, inhalers, Champix. I'm told I get really difficult to be around when I've got no smokes.

I first saw an e-cig on one of my many many days off, being a Uni student and all, while on a ride in the hills.
    I'd just finished lunch at the Lobi Deli when a bloke pulled up on his Super Motard, and we got chatting as riders do in that part of the world. Anyway he pulls out this....thing... and blows smoke out of it. Conversation went something like this.
    "What the hell is that?
    Electronic Cigarette.
    Fair enough. Righto, I'm off, take it easy."

Got me thinking though. I googled it, as you do, when I got home, for weeks and weeks.

Rather than just being some banal intro post, I thought I'd share my first 8 or so weeks in plain language so that perhaps someone else out there might benefit from it. I've read a million posts so I'll try not to cover that too much, but some things bear repeating.

Holy crap the jargon...Clearo, Atty, Carto, Mod..the ****? Now append omiser on the end of them as well.
    Took me a couple of weeks to work out what the hell was going on, for weeks I thought there was 25 different things I had to know. All seemed a bit too much like hard work. It's the jargon that is perhaps the biggest entry barrier to new users. Seriously iEverything or eEverything...tossers. There's too much wanker jargon going on. I feel a big rant coming on. So I think I'll just have a puff or 3 instead then continue on.

Anyway in very late July I ordered my first load of 'stuff'.
    I'd seen a ton of reviews from PBusardo on youtube, and had decided on a Protank, an egoC twist 1Ah, and 2 Tobacco sampler packs from JuiceWhore. 36mg/ml 80/20 PG/VG/Nic from ecigs.net.nz. Mostly based on price and availability. Meaning not ordering from the US or China.

My packages arrived on the Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday before the 1st of August. 01/09/13 is my official last cigarette day, I don't really remember but it's easier to tell people that it's the 1st. The NZ items got here before one of the items I ordered from QLD, the JuiceWhore stuff was the fastest. I was determined not to mess with anything until I had it all in front of me ready to go. Not even unpack it.

Now everything is here and I unpack it all, and yeah ok, now what?
    Plug the charger in to a USB port on the top of the PC and start charging the Twist. Takes 10 minutes, was already charged.

The Juices.
    8/10 smelt repugnant, 2 however smell do-able.
    Del's Ultimate Pipe & Cuban Supreme. I put them aside and chuck the rest in a draw. Which is where they still are.

Protank...ohhhh Pretty. Broke out a brand new Microfibre cloth and polished off the fingerprints. This is the first inkling of the dsyfunction in some form of OCD that manifests itself later on.

Mix up the Nic & Ultimate Pipe 50/50 and sort it into 30ml bottles that I got from JuiceWhore.

Fill the Protank and have a go.

Week 1: AKA 'you're doing it wrong'.

First couple of days I'm getting 4 hours on the ego battery...are you serious? Bought another one, same result, but hey at least I could now have one on the charge while using the other. They charge faster than I use them, thank Christ. However I'm having to leave my PC on overnight, couldn't work out how to power the USB ports while it was in sleep mode. A very cursory search on how to do it resulted in me going to Bunnings where I replaced the powerboard with one that built in USB charging slots. Also ordered another Protank as a backup in case I bust the current one.

I'm going through this stuff at one hell of a rate, probably 10-12ml a day. 8 weeks later this really hasn't changed.
    I'm blowing through the heads at a frantic rate too, but I'm setting them aside to have a look at them at a later stage. 8 weeks later and it's a little better but still not stellar.

Have a nearly full packet of smokes on a bookshelf less than 10 feet from the PC, untouched since the unpacking.

Week 2: AKA 'I'm going to need more stuff!'

Order 300ml total of 36mg/ml from NZ and 120ml of DUP & Cuban Supreme from JuiceWhore.
    Another Protank, but this time the V2.
    Undocumented side effects start to happen. My farts start to really pong. Diet hasn't changed much if at all, but good lord these would make a maggot puke. This goes on until about week 7.
    Mix up 5 bottles of gear, and set it aside in an empty drawer to 'steep'.
    Payday rolls around, and shit a brick, I have $150 more left in my wallet than usual.
    Stoked I order more shit, not e-cig related though. Just a bunch of crap off ebay.
    Also ordered some 'winfield' juice from ecigaretteaustralia which was quite frankly disgustingly floral and chemically smelling, I ordered 60ml of this shit and I had one puff and chucked it.
    Had a Protank smash when it flew out my jacket...heartbreaking stuff. Was my favourite one too.
    I'm having to employ various methods to keep the Protanks operating nicely.
    Here's a big tip nobody tells you. Buy a large packet of cotton buds and jam them in the end of the Protank and turn it upsaide down for a couple of minutes to get rid of the gurgling and shit. You'll go through 5-10 a day.

Overdosed pretty good in week 2, cold sweat, dizzy, tingly. Loved it.

Weeks 3-7
    Not much changes here other than:
    I've stopped being able to hear the mucous in my throat and lungs when I'm trying to get to sleep. That tiny wheeze at the very end of the exhale.
    I've had 3 smokes in this time bracket, and they were foul. The smell, the complete lack of satisfaction afterwards, and did I mention the smell?
    Oh and I'm fuckin loaded, relatively speaking. I haven't spent anything on smokes or e-cigs for 4 weeks, saving about $600 in the process.
    After the bills etc I was lucky if I could put away $100 a week as actual savings, fixed income is not fun. Now I've got more than double that to play with.
    Banging away on DUP+CS and loving it.

Week 8 - Current
    Got a sampler pack from VapeKing..meh The only stand out is Royal Blend, it's very good. Smoking it right now.
    Ordered a bunch of shit from Vape Cobra, Vamo V5, and a bunch of concentrates to play with.
    Ebayed some batteries from a memeber here, and a chinaman for a nitecore i2
    Opened a paypal dispute with fairy-gift over a VamoV5, fairy-gift is a very dodgy company.
    Recycling 'good' heads by boiling used ones in a pot for a few minutes and letting them air dry in a box. Anything that tastes like rubber or dirt after a boil you may as well just chuck out. If you're really keen you can try to recoil them but I've had no success doing this. They are cheap as hell, buy 5 packs you'll probably get 15-20 keepers. Boil new ones straight out the pack too, they smell a bit rubbery sometimes (most times) and boiling gets rid of it generally.

My plans for the coming 4 weeks is to buy a starter kit for my Aunty that's got the early stages of emphysema, and another one for a mate that's got skin cancer. As far as I know cancer is fuckin cancer, it's only a matter of time that smoking comes into play.

This is the longest I've been off the smokes for with the exception of the Champix, which was 3 months but ended when I started smoking again after getting arrested protesting a speed camera, and spending the long weekend in the Holden Hill Custody Suites.

That pack of Winfield is still sitting there. Literally within the same hour that the last of the supplies hit the mailbox was the last time I had a smoke other than the 3 I had for research and comparison purposes.

I think the biggest thing for me was how little effort it took on my behalf to switch over, which was paramount to none at all. My brain is completely fooled, I have no desire to smoke a cigarette at all now.
    I'm not interested in giving up my nicotine addiction, however I'm also not interested in paying $18+ a pack for smokes.
    If smokes were still $5 a pack I probably wouldn't have bothered. The health stuff is just a bonus.

Edit to clear up any confusion.
    Vaping Cobra have been excellent, no issues at all.
    It's fairy-gift that don't/won't answer mails, and attempts to contact them are being bounced as a bad DNS.
    Various addresses appear on their website about how to contact them cheap-chanel-watches.com for example. They tell to allow cookies from this site. Go to that website and you'll see it's been shut down by a US court order for selling fakes.
    vgold(something).com is another one that has something to do with their checkout/cart this site has also been closed down. Gold seller for online games.

Trying to contact them results in this. This is not just today but for 4 days now.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.
    service@fairy-gift.com
    The reason for the problem:
    4.1.2 - Bad destination host 'Multiple DNS queries were attempted and failed: DNS Soft Error looking up mxbiz1.qq.com (AAAA) while asking recursive_nameserver1.parent. Error was: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP'

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.
    bill@fairy-gift.com
    The reason for the problem:
    4.1.2 - Bad destination host 'Multiple DNS queries were attempted and failed: DNS Soft Error looking up mxbiz2.qq.com (AAAA) while asking recursive_nameserver1.parent. Error was: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP'

TL;DR
    Vaping Cobra = Good
    Fairy-Gift = Bad
    Last edited by Grumpy Bastard; 09-10-13 at 06:13 PM.
    Noe, GirlyPantz, D1git and 27 others like this.

That was truly entertaining to read ur experience, u cracked me up and welcome to the forum mate
    GirlyPantz likes this.
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

AVF Regular
    Good on ya Grumpy Bastard, its a learning curve alright but it sounds like you have the tenacity to make it work for you. I guess each ones journey away from the stinkies is very different, and yes all the lingo can be confusing at the start, but we all get the hang of it. One thing I like about vaping is there are so many options available. For me It's been fun and frustrating trying various equipment, mods, juices, clearos, cartos, rebuildables etc until you kind of settle on what works for you, enjoy the ride and welcome to the forum mate.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Welcome to AVF GB.

One thing you don't tell us in your entertaining story is, what mg/ml you are vaping at.

If you are honestly going through 12ml a day, then you probably need a higher strength juice, this thread may help you work out what you need: Noe's Newbie guide to nicotine juice consumption & strength.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

18ml/mg is the target. Using a JW doubler and 36mg/ml from ecigs.net.nz
    I went through nearly a full tank (2.5ish ml) in the last 3 hours.

Yeah I'm looking at ordering something stronger from the US, but shipping is a *****.
    Would be nice if I could get a 48 or 50 from NZ or maybe even the UK, but US shipping is a joke. We'll all be speaking Chinese soon enough, I'd rather not encourage them.

I'm dosing high because I enjoy it. I've given up every other bloody drug I've ever loved, if I have to give up anything else I swear it will be my will to live.

Cheers I'll have a read of that thread.

Edit:
    Yeah I'm going through twice the amounts in that post.
    When the concentrates rock up, I can play about with some strengths and hopefully not need to take a nap while it wears off.

Interesting ktorisecigs.com $5 flat rate shipping from the US, I don't understand how one vendor can do prices like that yet others are like 50-70 bucks.
    Last edited by Grumpy Bastard; 09-10-13 at 05:41 AM.
    GirlyPantz and spud like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Most of that nicotine you buy from the US or anywhere else, originates in China, FYI. Certainly the Kiwi's don't grow plantations of nic to turn into flavorless juice, so guess where that stuff is coming from

The Kiwi stuff is more expensive than the US stuff, even with the higher shipping cost from the US. If you get 1L of 100mg/ml from somewhere like VapingZone(order on saturday or sunday & use the coupon code 10off for 10% disc), you'll be saving more $ & you'll be able to mix up a 24mg/ml juice or even a 36mg/ml juice, which some vapers use.
    The point isn't giving up enjoyment of nic, it's freeing your hands so you can enjoy other things too, if you constantly have a PV in your hands it gets a little difficult to do anything else sometimes.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    welcome to the forum, sorry it was so confusing, but its great its been working for you.
    Jeff
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Welcome Grumpy. Best intro post ever! You'll fit in here.
    GirlyPantz and lozza 82 like this.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

Retired Account
    Dear Grumpy,
    Please don't leave your batteries charging overnight. Only charge them while you're able to supervise them.
    Very rarely, overcharging and/or some fault can cause a spectacular explosion.
    Welcome to AVF!

AVF Regular
    Great intro. Something tells me you're gonna fit in real well around here. You sure have the gift of the gab

It's great to get your perspective on all the lingo. I'd forgotten how confusing it all was as a newbie.
    GirlyPantz, lozza 82 and Samtron like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast