Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Making do foo - the art of raiding the bathroom cabinet

AVF Regular

Making do foo - the art of raiding the bathroom cabinet

Those of us who are ladies, or are permanently attached to a member of the gentler sex will probably relate to this. What common items found around the house (or more particularly the bathroom cabinet) that have found their way into the vape box as an emergency or permanent fixture:

(Posting in New Users forum as being useful information for that group)

================================================== ======
    I was chatting with another member and made a list which I though might be fun to share:

Cotton balls: source of wick material

Cotton buds: wick material, cleaning center tubes, drip wells, battery contacts (with IPA)

Tissues: general cleaning and juice wipe-up.

Nail file: rubbing rough spots off plastic drip tips, smoothing damaged brass drip tips and other parts. Fitting other soft parts, PCBs etc.

Emery board: as above, but they're disposable and come in different grades. Use course for material removal, fine for finishing and smoothing.

Nail Varnish remover: removing labels and sticky stuff

Tea Tree Oil: as above but non toxic (but keep both out of yer atty)

Metho: general cleaning, label removal etc. Keep it out of your atomiser too.

Clear nail varnish: General purpose glue. Can fix washers, threads, labels that are coming off, can stop the printing on "single use" syringes from rubbing off so fast, and can also be used to repair your guitar plucking fingernails if you break them - PM for instructions.

Nail clippers: can be used to trim/cut kanthal wire.

Sewing needle: useful to insert in a silica wick to make it rigid for wrapping.

Tweezers: many uses for small parts - wicks, screws, center pins etc.
    ================================================== ======

I do a lot of DIY so have these or better options (like proper files, tools etc) in my drawer. Just curious to see if I'm missing any opportunity to annoy Mrs F further. :- D
    Last edited by fabricator4; 09-10-13 at 01:08 PM.
    Noe, GirlyPantz, margyb and 7 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Cotton balls if i might add...best to test by setting on fire (if it burns to a small pile of carbon it's probably all natural) and also requires 3 x 15min boils, clean water and rinse in between each boil...air dried over 2 days for perfect fluffy cotton ball wicks.

mine are still working and it's been a week or so.

also sticky tape is a less polished version of the nail varnish over the single use syringe to stop the writing from fading...at least it's what i did...

edit: i hope i didn't sound like a wanker...i saved the rest of the list in my inbox folder marked "info to keep"....its a really good reference list...
    Last edited by Samtron; 09-10-13 at 03:25 PM.
    GirlyPantz, fabricator4 and spud like this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

AVF Regular
    I recall some time ago, a member using his wife's hair dye to stain a wooden mod stand he'd just made.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    Removing Labels:

Sometimes we need to remove a label if it's on a glass bottle we want to re-use, or if running short of plastic.

1) If the label is a water resistant plastic coated one, first peel this layer off.
    2) Soak in hot water and see if the glue dissolves. If it does not, rub as much of the paper layer off as you can. The longer the soak, the better it works.
    3) Use Tea Tree oil from the first aid cabinet to dissolve the glue. Rub as much off as possible.
    4) Final clean with metho to remove sticky residue and Tea Tree oil.

Tea Tree oil would also work if your wrap or tape has left residue on the battery.

I haven't had any trouble with this removing paint or damaging a finish or plastic, however test it first if you are not sure - it might remove the matt finish used on ego batteries. If you're painting or wrapping an Ego battery you might want to do this anyway.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
    I recall some time ago, a member using his wife's hair dye to stain a wooden mod stand he'd just made.
    Ranga or brunette? +10 for lateral thinking.

Every time he looked at the stand it would remind him of her.
    Samtron and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post

Your memory is a good (or bad) as margys. Not your bed time yet???
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

jen
    AVF Regular
    To the kitchen with this one - I keep a pair of pliers in my briefcase of doooooooom, when I cant be bothered getting it out n unlocking it I grab the can opener and use the inside join of the legs to take pesky adaptors off evod tanks
    fabricator4 and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Oh, surprised that I forgot this one:

I bought a two-pack of microfiber cleaning cloths. They are brilliant for cleaning and polishing, and keeping gear and the table tack free. I use them one at a time and every week or two throw the current one into the wash. They are extremely absorbent and very useful to have around.

ETA: you can buy them in the cleaning aisle at Woolies or Coles for a couple of dollars for a two pack. They look like these expensive ones on Ebay:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fabricator4; 09-10-13 at 05:11 PM.
    GirlyPantz, jen and spud like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    You can use toothpaste for polishing up your lightly scratched mods, extra points if you also use a pair of the missuses knickers as the polishing cloth LOL
    GirlyPantz, Quom and fabricator4 like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    You can use toothpaste for polishing up your lightly scratched mods, extra points if you also use a pair of the missuses knickers as the polishing cloth LOL
    Yep, good one.

You can also use this to fix a problem I've been having with the Kanger BCC devices that have the brown anodised coating on the base. I've been having a high resistance problem between the head and the base, and I think at least part of the problem was the anodising. I've got 2 T3Ss and one mini Protank 2 that were all giving me trouble with high resistance, sometimes up to 30 ohms for no apparent reason.

Dismantle the base, and using a cotton bud with some toothpaste on it, firmly polish the threads on the base back to bright brass.

I did one of the T3S' and the mini Protank and haven't had a problem with them since. The remaining T3S which I left as a control is playing up again with resistance that makes it unusable. It's pretty conclusive for me - I think putting that brown coating on the threads was a bad move on Kanger's part, and I can't help wondering why no one else has been having this problem, or maybe they just think the head is faulty and replace it. - most times unscrewing the head and re-screwing fixes it for a little while.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast