• 2 Post By spud
  • 3 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By mattydredd
  • 3 Post By spud
  • 2 Post By Fractal

Thread: Help! Quitters Flu

Question Help! Quitters Flu

Hey guys,

I have done a bit of reading into it as much as I can but can't seemed to find anything regarding relief for it.

Also should i keep Vaping(Nic/no Nic)? I was using a Red hot Cinnamon juice i bought from Gourmet vapor but have since decided to stop using it as i have red a lot of people tend to have issues with that as well.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm finding hard to sleep as I'm on night shift and feel like I'm slowly losing my marbles

Super Moderator
    Hey Pic ... make sure you are well hydrated , vaping can dry you out .
    Unfortunately as you are finding , you still go through a lot of the symptoms of giving up the smokes .
    They will pass ...
    One thing when beginning vaping , its quite hard to regulate the right amount of nicotine , and being a shift worker , this could play havoc with your sleep patterns as well .. I would recommend to try not vaping for an hour or two before trying to sleep , too much nic will make it hard to nod off .
    If you are feeling congested nasally or whatever , treat it the same as you would a cold , bit of decongestant, some eucalyptus or menthol to open up the sinus's.
    I found that sucking a good strong mint( for me was XXX extra strong mints ) helped a bit.
    The flu like stuff is just your body adjusting to the lack of nasties you used to inhale , might hang about for a week or two but should get better

Hang in there !

( try a menthol vape if you can get one )
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Maybe try a more mellow juice, cinnamon can be pretty full on, I cant stand it personally. Iam a shift worker two mate and as fatman says ease up a bit on the vape leading up to sleep time which can be hard when youve just got off the cigs I used to get all over nic'd and could sleep either and used to start hVing these trippy dreams just as I was nodding off, I kind of enjoyed them tbh lol. I would have never quit cigs without a nic vape, maybe cut your level a bit
    Bit of an adjustment period as you quit but it all passes fairly quickly and youll be glad you pushed through.
    Gl
    picturetheend and Fatman like this.

Thanks Fatman and McVapen,

Seems to be getting better as I wake up a bit more.

Had the horrible dry/ tight chest yesterday but that seems to have subsided. This is my second time using ecigs as I had quit early 2012 but for some idiotic reason i started again the reason for the thread though is I don't recall it being this bad the first time.

I have decided to get rid of the cinnamon juice anyway as it tasted metallic(possible bad as it was one i had from end of 2012). I have bit left of a lime flavour that seems to be really good doesn't feel like it hurts the chest to vape.

I hope my order from Heather's Heavenly Vapes gets here soon as I have heard their stuff is good quality and i have chosen just fruit flavours as they seem to be the most pleasant ones for me.

I'm Definitely looking forward to doing this again and will keep pushing on and thanks again for the support.
    Fatman and spud like this.

Quote Originally Posted by picturetheend View Post
    Thanks Fatman and McVapen,

Seems to be getting better as I wake up a bit more.

Had the horrible dry/ tight chest yesterday but that seems to have subsided. This is my second time using ecigs as I had quit early 2012 but for some idiotic reason i started again the reason for the thread though is I don't recall it being this bad the first time.

I have decided to get rid of the cinnamon juice anyway as it tasted metallic(possible bad as it was one i had from end of 2012). I have bit left of a lime flavour that seems to be really good doesn't feel like it hurts the chest to vape.

I hope my order from Heather's Heavenly Vapes gets here soon as I have heard their stuff is good quality and i have chosen just fruit flavours as they seem to be the most pleasant ones for me.

I'm Definitely looking forward to doing this again and will keep pushing on and thanks again for the support.
    My SO is a shift worker, and he only uses 6-12mg juice while he's at work, that way he drops right off to sleep when he gets home. He started out taking the 24mg juice to work to vape, but found he couldn't sleep or slept badly when he got home in the morning. I do the same, but I vape 12-18 during the day at work, but then as soon as I get home in the afternoon, I cut my nic level to between 6-12mg, and have no trouble sleeping

I have a strong peppermint vape that I use if I'm feeling a bit congested, and it clears out the cobwebs very nicely

Hope you feel better soon, all the best.
    picturetheend and Fatman like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by picturetheend View Post
    Hey guys,

I have done a bit of reading into it as much as I can but can't seemed to find anything regarding relief for it.

Also should i keep Vaping(Nic/no Nic)? I was using a Red hot Cinnamon juice i bought from Gourmet vapor but have since decided to stop using it as i have red a lot of people tend to have issues with that as well.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm finding hard to sleep as I'm on night shift and feel like I'm slowly losing my marbles
    The immune system does tend to go out of whack during the detox period of stopping smoking. My theory is that if you take something to boost the immune system you can avoid most of it, or reduce the severity. I went for the scattershot approach and took a vitamin complex of Garlic, Echinacia, Zinc, and vit C. Everybody is different it seems, but if you do this and make sure you eat properly and drink lots of water I believe it does help.

If you do get any secondary infections it's important to go to a doctor and get treatment just as it is for any flu episode with secondary infections. The most common ones seem to be ear/nose/throat/chest infections and mouth ulcers.

It's important to know these are symptoms of smoking cessation, not vaping, however letting yourself get dehydrated from vaping can make things worse.

It's important to keep vaping within limits that don't make you feel worse. To this end you should probably stop using any flavours that are known irritants such as cinnamon and acidic flavours.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 03-11-13 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Fatman, spud and Pipesub like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    when i first got off the anologues dude i got such a bad mouth infection,i thought i was gonna die,i actually lost a tooth,it started as feeling like a really bad chest cold and then my body just decided it was gonna try and fight against my wanting to quit the toxins,i'm not really sure how to explain it,suffice to say i was a pretty heavy user for about 20yrs,an yeah,the body doesnt like havin things taken away from it,ie,carbon,tar,etc.push through an you'll make it,but definatly maybe try an avoid flavours,plain nic juice is actually quite nice,and more economical.
    Fatman and spud like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    The immune system does tend to go out of whack during the detox period of stopping smoking. My theory is that if you take something to boost the immune system you can avoid most of it, or reduce the severity. I went for the scattershot approach and took a vitamin complex of Garlic, Echinacia, Zinc, and vit C. Everybody is different it seems, but if you do this and make sure you eat properly and drink lots of water I believe it does help.

If you do get any secondary infections it's important to go to a doctor and get treatment just as it is for any flu episode with secondary infections. The most common ones seem to be ear/nose/throat/chest infections and mouth ulcers.

It's important to know these are symptoms of smoking cessation, not vaping, however letting yourself get dehydrated from vaping can make things worse.

It's important to keep vaping within limits that don't make you feel worse. To this end you should probably stop using any flavours that are known irritants such as cinnamon and acidic flavours.
    This is what I tend to do whenever I feel like I'm coming down with something, I bomb the pineapple out of it with immune supporting stuff. I started feeling like I was coming down with some sort of flu when I gave up the stinkies, it was actually a bit hard to judge whether it was giving up smoking or if it was just because nearly everyone in town had some sort of flu. Anyway, usually the first warning for me is a headache, and a bit of a sniffle, plus being really tired, all similar symptoms to what many people go through when they stop smoking.

My usual plan of attack is buy some "ease a flu" caps, (they're herbal things so large doses are not dangerous), and some aspro clear. I take double doses of the caps, and 2 aspro clear, (good for calming down any inflammation, but don't do this if you have an upset stomach, or can't take aspirin) , every 4 hours, drink a ton of water, (not literally), and go to bed early. If I do this for one or two days, by the third day I have dodged the flu bullet

I have not had a cold or flu this year at all, but did have 2-3 near misses.

This is not medical advice, just what I do when I feel like I'm getting something, and it works for me. YMMV
    margyb, fabricator4 and Pipesub like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    If your chest / back is hurting like hell (mine did about a week in, like I'd been lying face down in the mud and trampled by a herd of elephants) - smear it in Dencorub. I use the extra strength one (well, I use it for other things too, but it worked for me on quitting pains).

Sounds crazy, I know - lungs are not a muscle. But it numbs (and warms) the area, and the "fumes" have a little bit of a decongestant effect.

Just never smear yourself in it directly out of the shower. And take note that it does hang around on your hands for an hour or two, even if you wash them - so careful with what you're grabbing.

I'm also a shift worker (there's no set day/afternoon/night shift start times where I am, it's all over the place. It's really psycho 24hr shiftwork). I find that vaping before bed keeps me up - but the vaping itself is relaxing. It's an easy fix, just vape a low or no nic juice right before sleep / in bed.

I take a PV (or several) to bed (on the table - not IN-IN bed!). When my shifts change dramatically, I find I'm waking up for nicotine according to my "old" schedule. It's handy to have something right there that I can hit, then roll over and go back to sleep. If I don't kill the craving, I'll lay around awake. If I have to get up to get a PV, then I'll wake up properly.

Also - I know you didn't ask, but if you're using the computer before bed - look into using something like f.lux to alter the color temperature of your screen before sleeping time (it is based on time zones, to it will need manual tweakery to get to night mode during the day. I just warm the color setting manually these days because I change shifts so often, but that way lacks a nice transition period).

I watch stuff and vape in bed to chill out before sleeping, and lowering the color temp of my monitor during that helps me get to sleep (or more like it - I am not being kept fully awake by a bright daylight-like monitor). Combine with a totally dark room and it's almost like simulating a sunset. Almost .
    picturetheend and spud like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    Also - I know you didn't ask, but if you're using the computer before bed
    Funny you ask that because I'm a help desk tech.

I have tried something like that before and that doesn't seem to bother me but i do know some guys who do here and i will get them to give a shot.

As for the progress on it, I feel much better now it's just that bit of tar that is coming up.

I have reduced the Nic before bed and just using JW Snowy Mountain Due and that keeps the cravings away before bed so that has really helped.