Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Boiling your coils

Boiling your coils

I've heard people mention on here about boiling your coils to prolong their life, how often would you have do it and for how long i mean boiling I'm a moderate to light vaper I guess probably 10 x10 puffs a day. Also does this mean you don't have to dry burn also ?

I'm using kanger 1.8ohm coils with an evod
    Last edited by kc76; 10-11-13 at 02:11 PM.

AVF Regular
    kc - i soak them in boiling water from kettle - then soak them in vodka for a day - then soak them again in boilin water and set them to dry over the top fan of my pc - i do this with a bunch of them at at time

i do this when i feel im getting less vapour and tighter draw on the evods - i dont dry burn em after that bu that's just me - many people dont soak and just dry burn

i find the soaking idiotproof

ps probably soaking for 2 days better than 1 and i cover the shot glass so it dont evaporate - and re-use
    Last edited by avtek; 10-11-13 at 12:33 PM.
    kc76 likes this.

Thanks for asking this kc, it's what I was wondering too .... do we have to use vodka avtek ? I'd be tempted to drink it if I bought some
    avtek and kc76 like this.

AVF Regular
    luckily im not that into vodka hahahaha - but thats what people recommend - i bought a 25$ aldi bottle a month ago and havent had a nip at all - just for soaking stuff - but your mileage may vary mags - enjoy!

Yes well, we don't have Aldi's here but I do have a couple of Woolies' gift cards which I can use at BWS ... so no probs!... will give it a whirl thanks

AVF Regular
    White vinegar does exactly the same thing at a fraction of the price. I run my coils under the hot tap for a minute or two, then cover them with white vinegar and put them in in the microwave for 1 minute on high, then drain and run them under the hot tap again for a couple of minutes. I don't have the patience for soaking.

Then spread them on some paper towel and leave overnight to dry, then dry burn them, and they come up as good as new.
    Last edited by JenJ; 10-11-13 at 01:52 PM.
    spud, maggie and Donna like this.

cheers thanks for the replies, I don't mind the idea of not having to dry burn Ive tried that with my old ce4 and keep getting a burnt taste afterwards

AVF Regular
    Note: also applies to atomiser coils of any type however the disposable CE4's referred to in the quote are not really suitable for this treatment as they can not be dissassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by kc76
    cheers thanks for the replies, I don't mind the idea of not having to dry burn Ive tried that with my old ce4 and keep getting a burnt taste afterwards

After dry burning you really must boil them otherwise you will just be tasting the burnt ash from the dry burning.

Procedure:

• Pull the head apart and soak in hot water for 10 minues to remove remaining juice
    • Dry them out, expecially long wicks
    • Dry burn
      • Screw the dissasembled head onto a base and screw this onto your battery
      • Start at low power and fire until the coil starts to glow
      • Increase the power incrementally, giving the coil several one second pulses
      • Work your way up to at lease 8 watts (volts = ohms + 2 = 8 watts)
      • Keep pulsing the coil until all the ash is white or stops changing colour. It is then friable and will be easily removed by boiling
    • Boil for 10 ten minutes to remove all the ash and nasty taste
    • Dry
    • Assemble and use

If you wish you can skip the drying, and this will speed up the processing time quite a bit obviously. The down side o f this is that it will take more time and power to dry burn, and if you're not careful a long wick may not dry burn properly due to the moisture content keeping the temperature down. You should at least pat the wicks with some absorbent paper to remove most of the moisture.

On no account miss the soaking and boiling steps. There's no point trying to dry burn the coil if the wick is saturated with juice, and if you don't do the finish boil (or vodka soak if you wish) then it's just going to taste like an old ashtray.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 10-11-13 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Formatting
    srb, spud, avtek and 2 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    White vinegar does exactly the same thing at a fraction of the price. I run my coils under the hot tap for a minute or two, then cover them with white vinegar and put them in in the microwave for 1 minute on high, then drain and run them under the hot tap again for a couple of minutes. I don't have the patience for soaking.

Then spread them on some paper towel and leave overnight to dry, then dry burn them, and they come up as good as new.
    I use vinegar as well, a good tip from Olfella. I usually soak for about an hour in boiled water from the kettle, then soak in a 50/50 vinegar solution overnight, rinse, then give them another soak in hot water for about 10 mins. Dry on paper towel, then use. I sometimes dry burn then re-soak, but only if the coil and wick is really gunked up.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    After dry burning you really must boil them otherwise you will just be tasting the burnt ash from the dry burning.
    You don't have to! I've been dry burning coils for six months without boiling them afterwards and I've never tasted burnt ash....I blow the ash off and keep dry burning till there is no ash in sight and they are shiny and new looking! They taste as fresh as a daisy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast