Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: What kind of weekly investment would this be?

What kind of weekly investment would this be?

Say if I just got a simple vape and simple nicotine, not looking to get fancy like some of the stuff here, what would it averagely cost? I'm thinking in comparison with smokes.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
    Say if I just got a simple vape and simple nicotine, not looking to get fancy like some of the stuff here, what would it averagely cost? I'm thinking in comparison with smokes.

Thank you
    After you've made your initial investment of starter kit (batteries, clearomizers, charger) and liquids (nic, dilutants -pg and vg, flavourings or premixed nic from overseas so about $70-$150), running costs are: 2ml of juice a day - my juice usage ($1?, 40c?), a coil head every 2 weeks or every month - they vary in longevity (so $1.50-$3 pm), a $30 battery every 3 months maybe. Lets just say $1.50 a day and can be even cheaper than that with your own juice or plain flavoured, and rebuilding your own coils.
    Last edited by coopz; 15-11-13 at 02:48 AM.
    GirlyPantz, spud, maggie and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Once you've found your all day every day flavour and got a few mods and a good fist full of eGo batteries and are able to buy in bulk lots to get free shipping and have a tidy little stash of supplies and a ton of stuff that will never be used then reverse engineer the total amount spent over a few years you would be looking at about $9 a week. (but that figure should come down even further over time.... it includes a good 2-4 year stock pile of cartos, 100 approx replacement coils, a good stash of rebuildable gear for my doomsday kit and a ton of defunct products)

But lets get serious here, it takes a long time to find your ideal set-up and the flavours you like so the start-up can take months if not a year or more until you find something you will stick with forever, so as a noob you are better off to avoid buying liquid/flavours by the gallon.

Once I got my initial kit I allowed $70-$130 per fortnight to maintain my supply and to try a bit everything but $16-$40 of that was always lost to shipping costs. That amount kept me well stocked and even over stocked and back then a 30ml bottle of Dekang was $9 and finding decent hardware (attys & cartos) was pretty hit and miss. I would imagine that that budget would yield much better results today as the liquid is now cheaper and the hardware available now is more effective. I now allow anything from $250-$500 for a bulk purchase and after 6 months I decide if I need/want a top up or if I will wait another 6 months before buying again. (last years order cost 350, this years order I spent 450 but then I bought some spoils later on too lol)

Sorry I cannot narrow the costs down for you to fit a weekly budget any better than that as I only shop once every 6-12 months these days and its been that way for me for a couple of years now.

If you look for the 2 Noe's lists that are stickied in the new vaper's section they will show you not only what works well but also allow you to accurately calculate how much liquid you can expect to be using, but please bare in mind that Christmas is coming up and it can slow the shipping times and that you need to allow for the holiday seasons overseas, this is important as companies in China will close for Christmas and then for New Years and then for Chinese New Year (these holidays take weeks not single days)

FWIW in close to 3 years I have never had a genuine eGo battery fail (it does happen though) and my original batteries are still in good working order today but now get cycled with about 10 other eGo batteries and my mods.

The financial savings are most defiantly there and are quiet significant as you can see in my signature but they were not instant, from memory it took a good 6 months before my signature started to show that I was in front but it was noticeable in my weekly budget within a month. (Signature is still calculating savings on the price of smokes from 3 years ago when a pack of 40 was only $13.55 and not factoring in price increases)
    Last edited by GirlyPantz; 15-11-13 at 04:37 AM.
    margyb, spud, maggie and 1 others like this.

You don't need to get into mods, RBA's etc to be sucessful with vaping. I've been getting 30+ year smokers going on simple eGo/clearo setups and they've been pretty happy from the get go with just that. The majority of them will have to experiment with different ejuices to find a few that they like and settle on the right nic level but in terms of hardware, many are still happy with simple affordable setups.

The rough rule of thumb I've been telling people who ask me is about $10-$20 p/week.
    This is based on the following:

An average of 30ml of ejuice p/week
    An average of 1 coil head p/week
    An average of 1 clearomiser p/1-2months
    An average of 2 eGo battery p/6months

Of course this is quite simplistic but assuming you're happy with a simple setup, I'd say $15 a week should do it. Obviously a hell of a lot cheaper than smoking so even if you end up spending double or even triple that, it's still a big saving over ciggies.
    Last edited by Hani; 15-11-13 at 04:01 AM.
    GirlyPantz, spud, maggie and 2 others like this.
    5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions

I have only been vaping since mid Sept and it has cost me about 450$ so far....in saying that, I started with all the wrong kit and juice strength and have been using nicorette spray along with it. I was spending about 60$ a week on cigarettes so I am slightly ahead but not by much. I am getting a better setup and stronger juice in a couple of weeks that should be much better, and I have worked out that even if I still need the nicorette spray, i will be spending 17$ a week. I like that figure a lot better.

there is an initial investment to this, you have to find what works best for you....I just wish I had found this forum before I started my journey...would have saved me a heap of money and time. You are on the right path, stick on it!

Best of luck, Ani
    GirlyPantz, margyb, spud and 1 others like this.

Hi Huddy, Welcome,

I have spent $135.00 on hardware including postage. (3 Ego batteries, 10 clearomisers and some bottles and spare stuff) This spend should last me 6 months and I'm satisfied with it.
    I have spent $225.00 on liquids including postage which in theory is about 5-6 months supply for me but I have resigned 40% of it to the "just in case" box because I really don't like the flavours. So 3 months supply comfortably. However I'm still wanting to try new flavours so my choice will be to buy more.
    So, after my hardware outlay the compulsory spend for me works out to be about $10.00 per week but because I want to try new flavours I think it will be closer to $15.00 per week.

I was a heavy smoker of PJ Gold and have gone for the premixed 18mg nicotine from overseas. Premixed is very easy to begin with. Also I purchased a large selection of smaller bottles to start with. You won't like all the flavours you think you will so it works out cheaper in the long run.

Good luck with your journey.
    GirlyPantz, margyb, spud and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Huddy,
    What everyone has said above is spot on.
    When you first begin, stick with the Ego's twist or spinners and the Evod heads which are rebuildable, allow yourself what you have been spending on smokes per week and do not go over that limit. Keep it simple and concentrate more so on finding the right juice to suit you.

After about a month you begin to get the gist of the basics and you start to save money from that point on. As a "treat" you can start to experiment with mods and more advanced stuff like RBA's, RSST's etc (which I still have'nt got the hang of but hey, they are a lot of fun to muck around with). Or you can try your hand at mixing your own juice.

In 3.5 months I've saved $1300 from not smoking, but probably spent $700 in finding my way (I love mucking around with new things), which means I'm still $600 in front. But out of that $700 I've got a stockpile of juice to last me quite a while (probably 3 to 4 months), some DIY supplies, some nic in the freezer and concentrates to experiment with.

The only thing I may have to replace will be batteries or if I want to buy some new toys to play with. From here on in, I estimate that I could possibly be spending $5 a week on vaping. What I would have spent on analogues I'll now put towards my next new hobby and invest in some canvas's and oil paints etc.
    Cheers
    Sodd
    GirlyPantz, Fatman and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    I work on this:
    6 packs of Dunhill Grey per week @ $20 (give or take) = $120.00

Vs.

Single Item Spend
    1 Itaste 3 VV VW battery $35
    2 Protank Minis $30
    2 CE4`s $10
    5 Kangar Coils $5

Consumables

10ml eliquid = $12 (I`m still using a pile of smoke rainbow samples to find my favourites)

I would say my spend is under $20 a week which means I save about 5k per calender year minimum.

One thing I havent included is the 1k I spent on complete novelty pineapples pineapples pineapples before I read Noes list.
    GirlyPantz, margyb and Fatman like this.

Think the cost will depend entirely on you.. Three vapers in my home 3 different budgets and styles.. 1.) has like 4 twists and whatever budget clearos there are nd is quite content vaping whatever.. 2nd one) Has a set flavour they prefer and sticks with it.. had only upgraded stuff a couple of times then 3rd) fussy with flavour and kind of battery and has upgraded multiple times.

The first and second over a year have def save money by vaping.. cost for them are average at less then $20 a week or fornight.. the third however b/c is not settled yet and has more fussy tastes is yet to see a saving this year but will most likely in the next. Compared to analogue cigarettes however in one house the savings overall are massive even if the intial outlay is a little higher

Quote Originally Posted by Huddy View Post

Thank you
    GirlyPantz and Quom like this.

Retired Account
    Once you've got your hardware sorted, the ongoing cost is really batteries, coils(or wick/wire materials to build your own) and juice.

Recently I worked out a cost per mL of making your own liquids using locally available doublers and triplers. Here's what I found:

Realised my maths is wrong, so recalculating and will add back soon!
    Last edited by mrsgruffy; 15-11-13 at 10:47 AM.
    GirlyPantz, spud, maggie and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast