Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Tools of the trade?

Tools of the trade?

In the shed when playing with cars I had a good rule, get the right tools for the job and make life easier.

Over the last week as I'm starting my rebuildable journey and there's a few tools that are making things easier

First one was a mini blow torch, I have a 1 kilo propane bottle with a nozzle but it's not suited to fine work, got a brulee type torch from the local hardware place and torching mesh and wire is a lot easier (also a lot less scary than a half foot blue flame screaming BURN THEM ALL!!!! at me)

Also dropped by the local RC hobby shop and picked up some drill bits in 0.1mm size increments (0.5mm only in hardware shop), might be more interesting things there but had to leave after I started eyeing off the RC heli's

I'm still searching for some small needle nose pliers but may end up getting some tradie type tweezers if I can find them

A cheap ass tackle box from the local dollar store seem to be a reasonable storage solution at the moment

Looking for suggestions on anything else that you have in your arsenal that someone starting off wouldn't initially think of?

Cheers
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    most important tool when you are making your own coils is the multimeter.
    Fatman and Apoc like this.

One of the best things I have, particularly for coils and wicks, is a magnifying lens with a light, makes those tricky jobs really easy, lol, cause I can see what I'm doing. Small needle nose pliers are a must have, I bought some from woolies of all places, and they are perfect. The chemist is the best bet for pointy end tweezers, and you can get long handle tweezers from Dickos or other electrical bits and pieces shops.

Multimeter is essential, and I like the little ohm testers from FT because they also give you a base to work from when rebuilding atties or drippers.

One thing I wouldn't be without, after having used it for a while now, is silicon mats. They provide a non slip surface to work on, and do not burn if you drop a hot wire on them, and they are also fantastic for using as a base to charge batteries on, very safe. Also is non conductive and does not conduct static electricity, (not important for vaping work, but great if you do any computer stuff).
    Fatman, maggie and Apoc like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    I'm still searching for some small needle nose pliers but may end up getting some tradie type tweezers if I can find them

I forgot the name of these things, but far more usefull than tweasers or needle nose pliers. They come in various sizes and lock once you have a grip. Ebay has lots of them at very cheap prices. Name anybody?? I purchases a full set for around $15 dollars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    margyb, Gresh11, spud and 1 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    I forgot the name of these things, but far more usefull than tweasers or needle nose pliers. They come in various sizes and lock once you have a grip. Ebay has lots of them at very cheap prices. Name anybody?? I purchases a full set for around $15 dollars.
    They look like forceps?
    margyb likes this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    They look like forceps?

Could be? Tubing clamps??

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...28.47CHY6TXtdw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Set-of-6...#ht_589wt_1128
    Last edited by Robray; 19-11-13 at 01:15 AM.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

yep, looks like thats what they are
    Apoc likes this.

Looks like Delicate Hemostatic Forceps and quite expensive, bargain at 15 bucks

Delicate Hemostatic Forceps

Searching "Hemostat Forceps Straight" there's a bunch of amazon/ebay options

I shall call them grabby things

Can definitely see them being useful

Jaycar, Scissor Clamps (Haemostats)

Tools, Components & Cable > Tools & Soldering > Hand Tools > Other Hand Tools

CAT. NO. TH1755

Just use the number TH1755 when searching
    Last edited by dvietrod; 19-11-13 at 01:29 AM.
    Apoc likes this.

Jaycar have a wide range of stuff that is good for rebuildable's, small screws, nuts, stainless steel washers, tools,
    I picked up a lot of stuff from them, small drills etc, a lot handier than waiting weeks for FT to deliver.
    Fatman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast