Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: High Voltage vs High Resistance

High Voltage vs High Resistance

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there's any difference vaping high resistance in higher voltage compared to low resistance in lower voltage.
    A. 1.2ohm at 3v that's 7.5watt
    B. 2.2ohm at 4.1v that's 7.6watt

Is one better than other?

I believe all mech is 3.7v without kick, so ideally to get under 8 watt, we have to build 1.8+ ohm coil?
    But some people vape sub-ohm, a VV/VW device won't fire, and 3.7v mech will fry the juice?

Apologies if it has been asked thousand times before.

Cheers
    Pipesub likes this.

Super Moderator
    Just remember Gerzzz that in a mech , you get the voltage that is in the battery ( under load ).... now when fresh a battery comes off the charger @ 4.1-4.2V and depending on the type and state of the battery it might sag a few points of a volt when loaded ... as you vape , and the battery depletes , so does the voltage it can put out .
    so you get a voltage range from say 4.0 V .... gradually decreasing as the battery depletes to say 3.0 V at the end of its usefulness , so if you are talking wattage , that varies over time and use with a mech .
    in a vv/vw scenario you set the voltage lower but it will consistently deliver the Watts as long as the battery is capable of supply .
    PWM might give you a different taste as its cycling the on/off peaks ....

Its all a bit of a black art , mumbo jumbo, hold your tongue right kind of science lol
    What matters is , you find a range/set-up that suits you and you or preferred eliquids , and thats your sweet spot ... the numbers will always be the same , but they can yield very different results , depending on set-ups .
    Pipesub and Up in vapour like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

I was just wondering whether to build 1.4ish ohm coil on vv at low 3ish volt or 2ish ohm coil on vv at low 4ish volt.
    Just thought probably there's a difference between the two.

AVF Regular
    it depends a lot on the device, really. i find with some things, i need lower power/volts. for a stardust, i will vape at around 5 watts. with vks slotted cartos in a tank, 6.5-7 watts seems to work well. vivi novas, about 4.5 watts. and now, with aspires, up to 8 watts. i'd have thought it wouldn't matter what i was using, but different things do seem to like different power levels.

Quote Originally Posted by gerzzzzz View Post
    I was just wondering whether to build 1.4ish ohm coil on vv at low 3ish volt or 2ish ohm coil on vv at low 4ish volt.
    Just thought probably there's a difference between the two.
    The difference is current. The watts is the same because the current changes.
    Increase in current means less battery life between charging.
    The main reason people go lower ohms is they don't want a piddly 7.5W, they want double that or more. So it's not really thought about in comparison to 2.2ohm coil with higher volts, battery saving and so on.

Also like FM said, mechs on fresh battery start at 4.2V, and I recharge mine before they drop below 3.5v.

How to make 10+Watt vaping enjoyable? I seem to burn juices at 8w?

Super Moderator
    on a VV set-up ( and more so on a VW set up ) there should be little to no difference in the vape , its the watts that provide the heat , the resistance and voltage , just determine which part of the formula needs to be adjusted to keep the watts the same ... the lower ohms means there are more amps required to achieve the wattage ... it then comes down to what circuit you have and how effective it is , i.e. what losses it incorporates dialling down the voltage ... this has an effect on battery life , and useful current available , but in a perfect world there is no difference to how it heats the liquid .
    ( again the PWM exception applies )

The whole Ohms thing is much more applicable to mech mods than VV ... the ohms are how you "set " the watts ( power) on a mech
    Pipesub and justdanno like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gerzzzzz View Post
    How to make 10+Watt vaping enjoyable? I seem to burn juices at 8w?
    This comes down to wicking as much as coils ... when you apply power ( watts ) that is used to heat liquid , if you have too little liquid , too high a power , it burns... if you have too much liquid , it requires more "oomph " to get it to boil .
    There is also surface area .... 10 coils of a thin wire has more surface area than 2 coils of a thick one thus the power is transferred to a larger amount of liquid .

Big Ass vaping needs , power, wicking, and surface area to all fall into balance
    Pipesub likes this.

AVF Regular
    Air flow, wicking materials, coil designs are another side to the equation. Put dual 1.4 ohm coils in a dripper with lots of wicking material soaked with juice, how does it perform? Not as well as dual 1.4 ohm micro contact coils.

Many options and it's finding which works best for you.
    Last edited by unik; 22-11-13 at 04:53 PM.

omg just when i thought i'm getting there.
    justdanno likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast