Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Genesis RBAs and mech mod advice.

Genesis RBAs and mech mod advice.

G'day everyone!

I went ahead and bit the bullet on an AGA-T2 and RSST and I am keeping my eye on the delightful looking Russians and Kayfun types for the future too.

I suppose my question or the advice I am looking for here would be about mech mods vs something like an eVic or a Vamo.

From what I have read and heard, Genesis style RBAs perform better on a mechanical mod in comparison to an eVic or Vamo type of PV. The problem here is I am already slightly anxious trying to get my head around doing my first wick and coil builds, and for now reading about mech mods and 3.7 nominal output and kicks and all that other stuff is pretty much breaking my mind or overwhelming me a bit and safety is obviously a concern. Of course, I wouldn't be aiming for sub-ohm at this stage and know that an eVic or Vamo won't fire on a sub-ohm setup. I was thinking of trying to aim for 1.8-2.2ohm.

I guess my question here is, assuming I can build a decent wick and coil on say an RSST, will the performance still be decent enough on the eVic/Vamo? Better than say, an EVOD or Protank Mini or something like that? Or should I study up on mechs first? I DO intend to pick up mechs at some point, but for now it is fairly confusing and I want to take in all the information properly. But I also want to give building a go (really badly!). So anyways. That is the situation I find myself in now. Perhaps the performance difference has been overstated?

Any advice or experiences would be super appreciated! Sorry if this stuff has come up before too or is a bit weird.
    spud likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    If you build the coil to around 1.5ohms or higher, your evic or vamo will handle it fine & you'll still get a good vape, once you dial in the volts/watts.
    Quom, spud and mg418 like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

I agree with Noe, I build coil/wick setups to about 1.5 to 1.8 ohms, and the vamo handles them just fine, they also work well on the MVP box mod. The vape is much better than with clearos or protanks. More vapor production and better flavour. Vamo handles anything from 1.2 upwards, without giving any errors, but seems to be best at about 1.5-1.7 ohms. (at least thats where I like it).
    Noe and mg418 like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

I'm currently going through the same thing so hopefully this helps. I bought a mech (but also have a good regulated mod, itaste svd).

At this stage (things could change) it's cool to have a mech but it certainly wasn't necessary. Eg. if I build a low ohm coil I find the vape to much for me and I would have to half the nic to enjoy it. So I'm sticking with 1.5 - 2.0ohms - being my preferred normal vape - so I don't have to split all my juices for different devices. Therefore I don't actually need a mech apart from the good looks and compact size.

It might be fun to build a 0.8 - 1.0ohm and blow massive clouds if I dedicated some lower mg juice to it, but that's just my experience.
    spud and mg418 like this.

Thanks a lot guys. Feeling real confident now.

tjs-81, you bring up a good point I didn't even consider. Cheers mate.

Now to pray the attys and gear (and my pack from Good Life Vapor) arrive before the weekend!
    spud likes this.

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs-81 View Post
    I'm currently going through the same thing so hopefully this helps. I bought a mech (but also have a good regulated mod, itaste svd).

At this stage (things could change) it's cool to have a mech but it certainly wasn't necessary. Eg. if I build a low ohm coil I find the vape to much for me and I would have to half the nic to enjoy it. So I'm sticking with 1.5 - 2.0ohms - being my preferred normal vape - so I don't have to split all my juices for different devices. Therefore I don't actually need a mech apart from the good looks and compact size.

It might be fun to build a 0.8 - 1.0ohm and blow massive clouds if I dedicated some lower mg juice to it, but that's just my experience.
    For me the real advantage of a mech isn't so much the compact size, because, being made of SS or Brass, they are usually heavier than VV/VW mods(which kind of makes up for the size) but the real advantage I find is in being able to fire the button for as long as I need, without the mod auto-cutting out.
    This means I can chain-vape for as long as I need without having to press the button several times, although if you are going to vape this way you need to ensure you have batteries that can handle the "abuse".
    spud likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Just another quick question. I just read something about ICR batteries being dangerous to use with Genesis attys. On the other hand I see plenty of people saying they use a 3400mah ICR with Gennies. Hrmm.

1.8-2.2ohm on 2mm SS wire rope with 400 SS mesh wrap should be OK on an ICR for now, right? Or maybe I should just grab some AW IMR batteries.

Thanks again everyone.

Noe
    I use ONLY Japanese made batts in my mechs specifically Sanyo or Panasonic brand, although other Japanese brand are good too.
    Some will tell you that IMR should only be used but as long as your batt is genuine Japanese made, it will have a minimum max amp discharge of 5A.

Now on a mech there is no amp limiting & no volt limiting/boosting but using simple ohms law, 3volts using this example because this is the lowest you will ever want to use your batt at & because you'll feel when the vape intensity drops before the batt hits this point.
    So 3v x 5A = 15W @ 0.6 ohm, as long as you keep your coil at around 0.8ohm or higher(to keep within safe limits) an ICR batt will handle the output.
    At higher volts your batt will be drawing less amps so the real danger is in making your coils lower than 0.8ohm (below 0.6ohm is starting to get very dangerous).

If your batts are rated at 5A continuous then you'll be fine with a coil at or above 0.8ohm, whether ICR or IMR, IMO.
    avtek and mg418 like this.
    Essie's Glass DTs

Cheers, Noe!

Just got done torching some SS wire rope. Turned blue before, turned blue (I assume burning lubricants) before darkening a little then of course bright red. I got the whole wire bright red for a good long time. So I think it sure be right. I'll give it a boil and maybe another quick torch.

Hoping heating up SS this hot is actually safe.

Sorry to double post. Looks like it was successful. After torching and boiling the wire thoroughly, gave it a thin wrap in 400 mesh and oxidized. Wrapped a 1.8ohm coil now vaping away happily at 10w.

Still paranoid I did something wrong but it seems to work!
    The Gardener likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast