AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

510 / 808D Recommendations Please

Hey all,

Another newb here. Currently 30 a day smoker (Marlboro Gold). Looking to replace this habit with vaping.

After doing some research on the forum and reading Noe's list, I've decided that I'm going to get 2 setups to start with. An "at home" setup and an "out in public" setup. In this thread I'd like to enquire about potential candidates for my Out in Public setup.

For this setup, I'm ideally looking for a cigalike, preferably that lights up at the end and looks like an analogue cig.

From my early and limited research it seems that cigalikes are generally in the 510 or 808D varieties. (the overpriced V2's being 808Ds themselves).

I was wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations on the best setup that will give the longest battery life, a good draw/throat hit and fits the scope of looking like an analogue cig. (I've tried the $20 ones from Tobacco Station and the battery died after about 10 puffs, also I had to draw in 5 lung-fulls just to replicate the smoke/steam of one analogue drag. So I'm hoping I'm not dooming myself to that bad experience again with my intended setup.)

I don't mind if I need to buy multiple batteries or carto's to get me through a day out, as I'm used to carrying a 25 pack of smokes with me anyway.

I'll also be looking at some juice with nicotine. So if anyone has any recommendations on a good tobacco flavour that replicates an analogue smoke, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks in advance folks!

AVF Regular
    Del has both 510 and KR808d starter kits for pretty good prices if you really want a cigalike.
    JW Kits - JuiceWhore
    I'd say the KR808d (would recommend the manual style as automatics are prone to failing easier) will give better battery life than the 510.
    I see she's also got replacement batteries (the Mega 380mAh ones would be worthwhile addind to a KR808 kit) and 5 pack carto's as well
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

AVF Regular
    dogamondo - i did a bit of shopping around when i was starting out and compared all the KR808d cigalikes and ended up buying from smokeless image - its the same as the v2 but rebranded and cheaper

Smokeless Image | The Best Electronic Cigarette

i got the mega pcc (personal charging case) which has a mobile phone battery in it and charges your cig batteries when you are out and about and holds a spare battery and spare cartridges etc - also bought a pass through etc

i used it for about 8 days - worked great - and now the whole kit its been sitting there for 4 months or so as ive moved on to different gear

im just charging it up now since seeing your post to see what it performs like now that i know a lot more about ecigs
    Last edited by avtek; 29-11-13 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks a lot for the replies so far guys

avtek - Am dead keen to hear your comparisons of retrying an 808D compared to your usual setup. Can you also compare what its like to smoking analogues?

Cheers

AVF Regular
    the cigalikes are "smoother" than cigarettes - the vapour being smoother than smoke - i was smoking amercian spirit organic rollies - so the vapour was milder - importantly tho i was not able to give up my morning smoke with these cigalikes -

yer smoking marlboro gold at the moment - so should be easier for you as i think the golds are quite smooth/mild arent they?

Yes, the golds are definitely smoother than the reds, but harsher than when they were called "lights". Kinda in the middle of the two.

Did you eventually manage to give up that morning cigarette?

AVF Regular
    yeah - havent had a cigarette for over 4 months now i think - maybe more - by the time i gave up my morning cig i had a bigger battery than the 808 cigalikes - my pouch of rollies finished and i didnt buy again - bigger battery gave more vapour and a better throat hit - also the difficulty for me was finding a juice that wasnt sweet - thats pretty hard as you will find out

but the cigalikes served their purpose as i was able to have my morning smoke then leave the house without the rollies and just puff on the 808 and get thru the day ok - also i wasnt self conscious pulling out the 808 in front of other people - whereas at the time i felt weird holding a bigger battery in public

another way to go would be to bypass the 808 and go for a starter kit that had 2 ego batteries and 2 evods - will be much cheaper and more useful in the long term too - im heading out now but see how u go - cheers