Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gennie wicking

Gennie wicking

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a richman gennie and kraken clone.
    I tried both silica and oxidised ss wick and both of them are giving me burnt taste which I assume is because of dry hits / poor wicking.

Can anyone shed me some lights of how to avoid it? Vaped around 1.4ohm & 7W (on SVD).
    Followed youtube tutorial and looks pretty similar but I cant get it to wick properly, ss mesh tastes more burnt than my silica.

Cheers!

AVF Regular
    1. When you fire it up with no juice, does it glow properly? No hot spots?

2. Is your SS wick touching anything besides the coil? If it touches the bottom of tank or wick hole, it could be shorting against it.

3. Is your coil 'strangling' your wick? There should be NO gaps, but not strangling your wick.

4. With SS mesh, have you made your wick with a small hole through the wick? Wrapped on a needle or similar?

5. Is your airhole lined up with the coil? Entering air needs to be hitting the coil directly.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

AVF Regular
    Post a pic if possible.

It does (minus the legs), what's hot spots? Looks pretty even on the coil wraps from end to end.

2. Is your SS wick touching anything besides the coil? If it touches the bottom of tank or wick hole, it could be shorting against it.
    No shorting as far as I know. Is it correct that if ohm meter + my SVD can detect the resistance, it means no shorting?

3. Is your coil 'strangling' your wick? There should be NO gaps, but not strangling your wick.
    Just firm, I wrap it on the ss wick, but didn't squeeze it.

4. With SS mesh, have you made your wick with a small hole through the wick? Wrapped on a needle or similar?
    Yes, quite spongy, not extremely firm. I read online that's ideal?

5. Is your airhole lined up with the coil? Entering air needs to be hitting the coil directly.
    Yep. And I vape it on angle to make the juice is covering the wick.

Another question:
    Is it suppose to taste CLEANER than clearo or dripper?
    I have been rebuilding coils on my protank and I love it, the cotton setup on my drippers also work a treat, but these gennies are driving me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by ssstahly View Post
    Post a pic if possible.
    will do at home

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Post a pic if possible.
    Of the coil firing (for clarity)
    308hjute likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerzzzzz View Post
    It does (minus the legs), what's hot spots? Looks pretty even on the coil wraps from end to end.

No shorting as far as I know. Is it correct that if ohm meter + my SVD can detect the resistance, it means no shorting?

Just firm, I wrap it on the ss wick, but didn't squeeze it.

Yes, quite spongy, not extremely firm. I read online that's ideal?

Yep. And I vape it on angle to make the juice is covering the wick.

Another question:
    Is it suppose to taste CLEANER than clearo or dripper?
    I have been rebuilding coils on my protank and I love it, the cotton setup on my drippers also work a treat, but these gennies are driving me nuts!

will do at home
    Gennies give the best possible taste of any atty IMO, when they are set up correctly. When they aren't set up correctly, the taste could be worse than a Pootank or slightly better than a Pootank but to get it to it's best you need to have it set up & working the way it was intended to work.
    CMB likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular

Gennie wicking

How does it taste if you drip some juice directly on the coil and have a vape. That should tell us if it's wicking alright.

A hotspot is a single point on the coil that glows when the rest of the coil doesn't. It is caused when the wire isn't close enough to the wick to effectively vapourise the fluid.

Spongy wick 'should' be fine for wicking.

I tend to find my genesis setups to give me a crisper vape. Yeah a cleaner one too. Definatly not a burnt taste.

SVD will detect shorting and I think throw an error?

This will drive you nuts and it did for me too, took a while for me to get it but when i did it was worth it! And taste. I think it's a good idea for people wanting to rebuild any atty, be able to get a SS coil working properly.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Of the coil firing (for clarity)
    And not blurry

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Gennies give the best possible taste of any atty IMO, when they are set up correctly. When they aren't set up correctly, the taste could be worse than a Pootank or slightly better than a Pootank but to get it to it's best you need to have it set up & working the way it was intended to work.
    Then it's clearly I am doing something wrong

How does it taste if you drip some juice directly on the coil and have a vape. That should tell us if it's wicking alright.

A hotspot is a single point on the coil that glows when the rest of the coil doesn't. It is caused when the wire isn't close enough to the wick to effectively vapourise the fluid.

Spongy wick 'should' be fine for wicking.

I tend to find my genesis setups to give me a crisper vape. Yeah a cleaner one too. Definatly not a burnt taste.

SVD will detect shorting and I think throw an error?

This will drive you nuts and it did for me too, took a while for me to get it but when i did it was worth it! And taste. I think it's a good idea for people wanting to rebuild any atty, be able to get a SS coil working properly.
    Even if I drip it, it wont taste as clean as protank / dripper.
    Yes the SVD shown me NON when I blown my first coil rebuilt on protank.

So I guess it's not shorting issue. Is it possible that 500mesh is too tight for 50/50?

AVF Regular
    500 will be fine with 50/50. I normally use 400.
    If you have dripped on the coil and it's still tasting burnt, or not nice, then I would guess there is a hotspot.
    The photo will tell us a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast